Home

Vista not selling so well in China

Jediphile

This is irony at its best...

http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/only_244_copies_of_genuine_windows_vista_sold_in_china.php

Okay, I realise Microsoft claim they are not doing quite THAT badly... Trouble is, they won't say how many copies of Vista they've actually managed to sell, so it could be 245 or some other ridiculously low figure.

Doesn't matter anyway - Mickey and Minnie Mouse on Windows Vista is still priceless :D

It has been established that Vista isn't nearly as good as it was claimed to be and I doubt Vista is selling well anywhere, so the situation in China isn't surprising. I've even heard somewhere that it's not being sold that well in the US. Reportedly Microsoft pulled all copies of Windows 98 and XP from the shelves (back when Vista was released) and replaced them with Vista in order to, I guess, increase the sales, but it turned out that very little copies were sold. The customers wanted 98 (as it is the most stable Windows so far) and when they saw only Vista on the shelves, they turned around and left. People don't want new and shiny, they want stable and reliable.

Gee, I wonder if it's because of the price?

Or the bugs and incompatibilities maybe?

That and the fact that it demands more powerful hardware, gives lackluster performance in games, and that there are no DX10 games out as of yet, etc, etc...

Give it a year or so. By then OEMs will have forced it on enough people by bundling it with their new PCs, and MS and even third parties will have developed fixes for the bugs and compatability issues and then it might actually be worth purchasing.;) I'll definitely be sticking with XP for now, though.

I just read in todays paper that Microsoft posted much higher profits for this quarter than were expected.

Must be because of X360.

No, actually the Xbox is not doing well financially. No, Microsoft's hauling in cash because Vista is doing better than expected. It just is not doing as well as they hoped in China...

Anyone see that you can once again get XP on new Dell systems?

Yes. It was due to customer demand. I wonder how that will turn out given that Microsoft have said that they will not support XP beyond this year. Then again, Microsoft has been known to extend their support, like they did for Windows 98.

I wonder how that will turn out given that Microsoft have said that they will not support XP beyond this year. Then again, Microsoft has been known to extend their support, like they did for Windows 98.
I think we can rest assured that Microsoft will continue supporting Windows XP past this year. There are too many businesses and computers out there using XP to shut down support that soon and expect everybody to get up and running on Vista. I just checked Microsoft's Lifecycle Support webpage and the support end date for Windows XP SP2 is still listed as not applicable. I expect WinXP will be supported through at least 2008.

Yes. It was due to customer demand. I wonder how that will turn out given that Microsoft have said that they will not support XP beyond this year. Then again, Microsoft has been known to extend their support, like they did for Windows 98.

Clicky

Good enough for me, I'll probably get SP3 before I go Vista...Like Qliveur said: give it another year or so...I'm gonna start buying my parts for a futureproof Vista PC (AMD/ATI of course) soon, but I'm not in a hurry, I've had XP for a few years now and it still does me fine, it has at least another year or so in it IMO

If I were to purchase a new laptop, I would get it with Vista for the sake of being able to use a hybrid hard drive, though I would think twice if the aforementioned XP SP3 were to offer that technology (ie. "ReadyDrive").

Has anyone using Vista noticed the faster startup times due to delayed service startups? That would also be a big plus for me since my laptop usage is typically sporadic, like looking up a recipe or something.

I love vist'a Logic. A friend at camp bought a new laptop about a week back. Pretty smart, built in webcam, Vista installed and everything. Trouble is, Vista won't allow the installation of the webcam, that is a part of the lappy.

You've got to love it.

Vista loads pretty fast--faster than our XP on our desktop (which has a decent processor and 2 G of ram), definitely faster than my old laptop.

However, I tend to hibernate my laptop rather than shut it down all the way.

My webcam works just fine. :)

I don't even understand what the commotion is all about. A computer OS not selling well in the Land of Piracy? No way...

It's funny because Microsoft spent so much money promoting Vista in China.

And personally I find that Mickey and Minnie Mouse on pirated versions of Vista is just too damn amusing :D

Archived