Home

Jade Empire; Is it Worth it?

Lord Spitfire

Hi, guys. I'm playnig KotOR and KotoR2. I've had KotOR for 5 years, and TSL for three years, and, well, I want something different, but of the same type.

So tell me . . . is Jade Empire very similar to KotOR? Is the story as immersing, is the artwork as good, is it basically the same system, is the RPing as good?

Basically, if I really loved being able to customize your character, join allignments, go through different quests, and the plot twists (when I saw Revan remove his mask in KotOR1, I was drinking some water, and I seriously spit some of it out!). Are the PLot twists as surprising and cool.

So . . . is it worth buying Jade Empire?

I've played Jade Empire: Special Edition and I thought it a good game. It does have a plot twist in it, like the first KotOR, but it's an action RPG and the combat system is quite different from KotOR. You'll need to work the keyboard a lot more.

I thought the game graphics were good but character customization is somewhat limited when compared to KotOR. You basically level up your chi, focus, and health points along with your different martial, support, weapons, and transformation styles. JE:SE doesn't support equippable items like armor, gauntlets, gloves or anything like that.

I do recommend JE:SE for anyone that likes action RPG's. I think it's a good game worth playing though it didn't pull me into the story like KotOR did.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

I just bought the game now, and it's looking very good up tll the point I am. I just got to the Imperial City.

I love teh similarities to KotOR, and I love the RPing. I can't say that the characters are exactly the most well-thought, though, (Sky reminds me of Carth :p)

• 2 weeks later...

Large sections of the game left me thinking that "that reminded me of KOTOR." Game play is very different though, and the plot and dialogs are sufficiently different from KOTOR to keep the game interesting enough for multiple play thrus. So far its been my favorite game of the last 12 months or so.

• 2 months later...

I don't know how you could have KOTOR for five years considreing it hasn't been out that long, but Jade Empire is just as good, despite the fact that you can't customize your player's looks and all. The fighting is pretty easy, at least once you get a sword. I don't like the fact that you can only have one person with at a time though.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely a great buy, especially if you can get the PC Special Edition.

Graphics wise, I can see what NWN2 based theirs off of.. nice, smooth and uncannily detailed. The bloom lighting gives it a nice overall feel as well, suited especially for the environment and world it's based off of :)

Fighting is definitely more involved (a good mix of round+user interaction base). It's an odd-mix of part Oblivion, part TSL saber Forms is the best way I can describe it... definitely fun though once you get used to it and have set up your quick keys to what you like.

VERY good mix of humor, drama and romance/innuendo, plus the mythos of Ancient East really compliments the game. Some of your followers can be downright hilarious, or extremely creepy... pretty much drawing you further into the game as you play. Chai Ka in particular is one of my favorites. Other than the support skill of health ;) hehehe Just talking to the little girl creeps me out sometimes.. especially when 'the Guardian' speaks through her... *shiver* :xp:

In short, yes, the game is well worth it :thumbsup:

(...)

Unless you're one of those guys who believe that RPG without 100* different armour/clothes and 200* different weapons to choose from isn't worthy to even throw CD/DVD out of window ;).

* insert your number of clothes/weapons game must have

I love teh similarities to KotOR, and I love the RPing. I can't say that the characters are exactly the most well-thought, though, (Sky reminds me of Carth :p)

To tell truth, when one company makes two same type games in different world, they really like to copy their own ideas... Just like JE and KoTOR

in both games first town you visit is destroyed, in end when playing evil character you lose nearly all of your teammates, in both games you use flying machine to travel, and first you must kill previous owner of the ship to get it

or Starcraft - Warcraft 3

whole Human campaign story in Warcraft is taken from Starcraft, don't remeber undead story really, but it was quite similar to Zerg, and don't forget Zerg Creep and Undead Blight, Orcs had to run away to different continent to looks for their campaign, because in Starcraft were 3 races, ending movie in Warcraft 3 is nearly same as in Starcraft, and in addon they couldn't rip story from Starcraft for Orcs, so they didn't done campaign for them. And both Starcraft and Warcraft addon ends with human-who-betrayed [Kerrigan/Arthas (hell, even main hero for Warcraft must have name that is so close to Starcraft hero name, Arthanis), for those who don't remember] rulling most of galaxy/planet.

Definitely a great buy, especially if you can get the PC Special Edition.

Graphics wise, I can see what NWN2 based theirs off of.. nice, smooth and uncannily detailed. The bloom lighting gives it a nice overall feel as well, suited especially for the environment and world it's based off of :)

Fighting is definitely more involved (a good mix of round+user interaction base). It's an odd-mix of part Oblivion, part TSL saber Forms is the best way I can describe it... definitely fun though once you get used to it and have set up your quick keys to what you like.

VERY good mix of humor, drama and romance/innuendo, plus the mythos of Ancient East really compliments the game. Some of your followers can be downright hilarious, or extremely creepy... pretty much drawing you further into the game as you play. Chai Ka in particular is one of my favorites. Other than the support skill of health ;) hehehe Just talking to the little girl creeps me out sometimes.. especially when 'the Guardian' speaks through her... *shiver* :xp:

Agreed. I fell in love with this game right off the bat. RPGs need a great and fun story, which is told in a complete and entertaining way. Jade Empire is definately one of the top ten.

Archived