Home

KOTOR 3: The Novel!

Now, I have little hope for K3.

But the True Sith plotline needs to be resolved, so that...er...so that they can make money. Yeah! Even so the ending is predetermined, people still want to know what happens...if only to glorify themselves.

So, maybe LA is thinking of just creating a novel where the main characters (Revan and Exile) go and fight the True Sith. The novel will assume canon (LSM, LSF), and in the end, True Sith gets genocided. Maybe, they can add in a third character, but I doubt it. After all, many people are fans of Revan and Exile, so let fuel the fanboyism.

...I hope they don't do this. Frankly, seeing True Sith get murdered off is just boring. But I wouldn't be suprised if they do it, so that no K3 gets made. And if it does do it this way, I hope it would be in the hands of a compentnet fan fic writer, maybe even a fan of the KOTOR series.

^^

I still can't get my head around why they haven't made a K3, I mean K1+TSL must have made them a lot of money? maybe they backed themselves into a corner with the TSL story, and can't come up with a good enough ending? A book would be easier to deal with I suppose. It would be hard to get right though, how would you write a character that has been played by a million different in a people a million different ways? It's gonna upset at least half of them.

If the KotOR comic book runs long enough, it could also cover it, I suppose. Don't know if any of you have been reading it, but I actually think it's shaping up to be pretty good, not least because the writer clearly has taken the right approach and planned his entire story in advance.

If the KotOR comic book runs long enough, it could also cover it, I suppose. Don't know if any of you have been reading it, but I actually think it's shaping up to be pretty good, not least because the writer clearly has taken the right approach and planned his entire story in advance.

I was thinking that too, I agree its a really good read and feels like kotor.

just ordered #16

^^

I still can't get my head around why they haven't made a K3, I mean K1+TSL must have made them a lot of money? maybe they backed themselves into a corner with the TSL story, and can't come up with a good enough ending? A book would be easier to deal with I suppose. It would be hard to get right though, how would you write a character that has been played by a million different in a people a million different ways? It's gonna upset at least half of them.

I think we have to look at this from a different perspective.

We know:

1. How fans feel about TSL. Mix breed we are.

2. How Obsidian feels about TSL. How they apologized and all.

We do not know:

1. How Lucas Arts feels about what happend.

We can come up with speculations, but we will not have an actual answer.

What are some of the things we know? What questions are there?

1. Obsidian has pleaded with Lucas Arts (to do another KotOR), but they have not given them an answer. Why? (This is very important.)

2. We know Obsidian went on record, and they apologized for TSL's condition. (Keep in mind they did publiclly mention about Lucas Art's change in the deadline. Why? One could speculate. Why would you mention this if you were not pointing fingers?)

3. Could Lucas Arts be looking at another developer, for they were not satisfied with Obsidian's work? (We cannot actually say for 100% certainty what their cognitions are.)

We can speculate about these isssues, but no one really knows for sure. Fans view what happend to TSL from one perspective, and Lucas Arts sees the issue from another perspective.

There is also one other quesion we missed:

1. Why did Lucas Arts prevent Obsidian from making a 'content' patch?

Is this a seperate question, or does this reveal someting deeper. Maybe Lucas Arts is upset about TSL. Who knows?

---

When it comes to the novel, I am all for a 'Knights of the Old Republic' series. I think this would be better than a game.

If You Remember A While Back.

Lucas Arts Had Already Begun Work On Kotor 3.

Whilst Kotor 2 Was In Development.

But Had To Stop When Staff Had TO Be Laid Off.

Maybe LA Had Already Decided On A Plot For It.

Which A Content Patch Would Of Ruined.

I can only see one true method of getting what we wanted. Assassinate head of LA then take control and force them to make it... Or the comics could cover it either way I have to buy something ( weapon in case 1) and in case two I have to start reading the comics...

...I hope they don't do this. Frankly, seeing True Sith get murdered off is just boring. But I wouldn't be suprised if they do it, so that no K3 gets made. And if it does do it this way, I hope it would be in the hands of a compentnet fan fic writer, maybe even a fan of the KOTOR series.

I wouldn't accept an novel or a book in exchange of a KotOR 3 game. But the way you said about the genocide of the True Sith, it just sounded cool to Revan and/or the Exile die with them, with whatever killed them.

1. Obsidian has pleaded with Lucas Arts (to do another KotOR), but they have not given them an answer. Why? (This is very important.)

2. We know Obsidian went on record, and they apologized for TSL's condition. (Keep in mind they did publiclly mention about Lucas Art's change in the deadline. Why? One could speculate. Why would you mention this if you were not pointing fingers?)

3. Could Lucas Arts be looking at another developer, for they were not satisfied with Obsidian's work? (We cannot actually say for 100% certainty what their cognitions are.)

We can speculate about these isssues, but no one really knows for sure. Fans view what happend to TSL from one perspective, and Lucas Arts sees the issue from another perspective.

There is also one other quesion we missed:

1. Why did Lucas Arts prevent Obsidian from making a 'content' patch?

Is this a seperate question, or does this reveal someting deeper. Maybe Lucas Arts is upset about TSL. Who knows?

If that's the case, then this is just ridiculous.

Sure, I have my whines about TSL, but that doesn't change the fact that it's on my top 5 all-time favorite games lists. Sure, I like K1 better, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't want to see Obsidian make a K3.

None of it makes any sense. Sure, TSL may have been a bit incomplete, for whatever reason, but if an "incomplete" game can be THAT MUCH FUN... then damn, I for one would sure like to see Obsidian have a whack at making a "complete" K3.

TSL was FAR from a disaster. You want to see disaster, ask some ex-SWG players what they think of SOE. THAT is disaster. Never played SWG myself, but I've seen some players go on cussing rampages against SOE. You hear NOTHING like that about Obsidian.

For the second time, it makes no sense at all. KotOR has one of the biggest fanbases of any Star Wars game, mmorpg not included. The original is hailed as one of the greatest RPGs of all time. The sequel made some great gameplay advances. Both of them must have brought in oodles of money. And let's face it, K3 would be a hit no matter WHO designed it, just because it has "Knights of the Old Republic" in the title.

Makes no sense.

Sure, I have my whines about TSL, but that doesn't change the fact that it's on my top 5 all-time favorite games lists. Sure, I like K1 better, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't want to see Obsidian make a K3.

I agree. Given enough time and given original ideas, Obsidian could make another good game and perhaps a great game.

TSL was FAR from a disaster. You want to see disaster, ask some ex-SWG players what they think of SOE. THAT is disaster. Never played SWG myself, but I've seen some players go on cussing rampages against SOE. You hear NOTHING like that about Obsidian.

This, I disagree on. TSL wasn't a disaster as a game, rather, it failed in manging the series and the gaps left by Kotor. It was a commercial failure, as it wasn't as good as selling as its predecessor.

This, I disagree on. TSL wasn't a disaster as a game, rather, it failed in manging the series and the gaps left by Kotor. It was a commercial failure, as it wasn't as good as selling as its predecessor.

So you're saying that any sequel that isn't as good selling as its predecessor is a commercial failure? I'd disagree on that statement. A commercial success, in my opinion and in the most simple of terms, is turning a substantial profit. Given that most people who own K1 also own TSL, I'd say, based on logic, that TSL was quite a commercial success.

And either way, I don't think the gap between K1's sales and TSL's sales is too large. Could be wrong there, but it doesn't seem to me that it would be.

So you're saying that any sequel that isn't as good selling as its predecessor is a commercial failure? I'd disagree on that statement. A commercial success, in my opinion and in the most simple of terms, is turning a substantial profit. Given that most people who own K1 also own TSL, I'd say, based on logic, that TSL was quite a commercial success.

And either way, I don't think the gap between K1's sales and TSL's sales is too large. Could be wrong there, but it doesn't seem to me that it would be.

A sequel, with a nice plot, good advertising, and actual original game play, would do as well if not better then at least Kotor II and probably Kotor. Kotor II, to my knowledge, did not bring the same profit the first kotor did. Not that it was excepted by me, as I realize most sequel don't do as well ( though that has been proven wrong many, many times :shades2: Anyway, it wasn't a complete failure, as it did turn a profit but not doubt wasn't as good as Kotor. I'm not saying a Kotor III couldn't be, though. I'm merely saying that if they want a game to make a profit, make sure it has all the qualities of a great game.

Care to back this statement up with some proof?

Sure. First, Kotor racked in over 40 game of the year awards, I cannot find the official amount for Kotor II, but I doubt it's that much. I wish I could fins the profits each games turned, but I cannot.. I'll try again. I'm not saying Kotor II wasn't a great game, it was! I'm just saying that it could be considered a somewhat of a failure for profits and acclaim.

Sure. First, Kotor racked in over 40 game of the year awards, I cannot find the official amount for Kotor II, but I doubt it's that much.

Despite the feelings of negativity towards the game's cut content and incomplete state, the game was generally well received by fans and critics alike. Mirroring the success of the first game, The Sith Lords has garnered over thirty five "Game of the Year" awards.[1] The game received high marks from major reviewers - 8.5/10 from Gamespot, 4.5/5 from Gamespy and 93% from IGN.

Source: http://www.obsidianent.com/games.html

Also, Spiderman 2 made less money than Spiderman 1 in theaters. But that didn't stop them from making Spiderman 3. LA is just thinking to itself "Milk this KOTOR cash cow for all its worth."

Anyway, it wasn't a complete failure, as it did turn a profit but not doubt wasn't as good as Kotor.

Game critics may say it wasn't as good, but I respectively disagree. IMO, TSL was far superior.

And about a K3 novel, I seriously hope not, for three simple reasons.

1.) Experiencing the story from a first-person perspective is much more interesting and fun than reading it.

2.) A book would mean a non-variable story, meaning they would have to use canon, which I would hate.

3.) A game would rack in a whole lot more money than a book (for LA's sake on this one)

SS's post seems to sum it up. Far from a failure, in terms of finance or, in many opinions, gameplay.

And the point of my original post was simply that TSL was QUITE enough of a hit to warrant a sequel. Seems like a no-brainer to me, there is no doubt in my mind that a K3 would turn an enormous profit, even if (or possibly even "especially if") Obsidian were to design it.

SS's post seems to sum it up. Far from a failure, in terms of finance or, in many opinions, gameplay.

And the point of my original post was simply that TSL was QUITE enough of a hit to warrant a sequel. Seems like a no-brainer to me, there is no doubt in my mind that a K3 would turn an enormous profit, even if (or possibly even "especially if") Obsidian were to design it.

Yes, I agree 100% on that; Kotor II was a great game and made so that it can be expanded. I guess I was swayed by the game critics, and didn't bother to really look into it. I'll look into before spouting out facts ( though, really, my and other peoples opinions) next time.

Ambrose, just so you know, NEVER EVER use SS as an appreviation to someone's name in a Star War forum... that name belongs to something vile and unholy ...

But to be fair, they way TSL ends(if you call that an ending that is) really requires some additional work. A book, or the comic for that matter, would be nice to wrap things up. Then when k3 finally arrives there is a more solid basis on what had happened. No, there is no need to go into the details of what Revan/Exile had done really, and definitely no need to mention the variable characters due to gender and things(like brianna, Mira, Hanharr or even that jedi stalking perv)

Obviously, an Extended edition TSL would be even better, but we know that would nevar happen. So sattle for something more relastic, like a comic or novel.

Sure. First, Kotor racked in over 40 game of the year awards, I cannot find the official amount for Kotor II, but I doubt it's that much. I wish I could fins the profits each games turned, but I cannot.. I'll try again. I'm not saying Kotor II wasn't a great game, it was! I'm just saying that it could be considered a somewhat of a failure for profits and acclaim.

With all due respect this isn't proof by any stretch of the imagination.

Sorry but you made your statement out as fact, you aren't stating a fact here.

As SilentScope001 posted above TSL is not a "failure" as you state, around 35 or so game awards went to TSL and they generally do not give awards to failures. ;)

With all due respect this isn't proof by any stretch of the imagination.

Sorry but you made your statement out as fact, you aren't stating a fact here.

As SilentScope001 posted above TSL is not a "failure" as you state, around 35 or so game awards went to TSL and they generally do not give awards to failures. ;)

You can kill a man for trying . Like I said, I didn't really have any proof, just opinions based on what I heard. I don't at all think TSL was a complete and utter failure;it just wasn't great for me... Anyway, sorry about that. Next time I'll look into something before posting.

As for a novel, perhaps a novel about the events before/after a Kotor 3 game.

I was only kidding with the "killing" part. As for a source, I only have the hundreds of times I've heard on message boards ( starwars.com and else where) that Kotor II is really a failure commercially. I can try to find statistics for profit of either game, but I doubt I'll have much success; both official sites are currently down. So, no, I have no proof nor facts to back up my claim that it was a commercial failure. It was indeed my error to not have anything to back up such a strong claim. smilie.gif

Archived