Home

KOTOR 3: The Novel!

I was only kidding with the "killing" part.

:hatchrun:

:xp:

As for a source, I only have the hundreds of times I've heard on message boards ( starwars.com and else where) that Kotor II is really a failure commercially.

I learned long ago that just because you read/hear something all over the place doesn't make it true. ;) However it can become an urban legend... time to call in the Mythbusters!

Obviously, an Extended edition TSL would be even better, but we know that would nevar happen. So sattle for something more relastic, like a comic or novel.

Actually, I think I could be fine if said book has two stories. One for LSF and another for DSF. We can then explorate from there what a LSM and a DSM Exile would do from there, and all the varations that are possible in TSL are sastified.

By the way, game awards and high ratings are no proof for commercial success.

I couldn't agree with this more :thumbsup:

NWN2 (and Oblivion, and Doom3, and etc.) won about 20 awards before it was even publicly available ;)

I'm not saying the above mentioned games, nor KotOR or TSL didn't sell well, I'm quite sure (read: positive) they made some big cash... but awards definitely aren't a benchmark I would ever use as a buying and/or success guide.

I 'would' like to see some numbers though, if anyone knows of a link.. I'll keep digging around to see what I can find.

Don't remember numbers, but they were both big commercial successes.

I'd like to see numbers, because I'm not so willing to believing solely what people say; not that I don't believe you, I just rather not fall into a opinion again. Anyway, I think we've gotten a little off subject. Sorry 'bout that...

Don't remember numbers, but they were both big commercial successes.

To back that up, both KOTOR and TSL are "Platinum Hits" on the Xbox.

Platinum Hits is a term used to refer to a line of select Xbox games that have sold over 400,000 units on the platform in the nine months after release [1] and have dropped in price from their original MSRP to a new price point of US$19.99, although multi-game packs may sell for more. Popular games such as Halo: Combat Evolved may have a delayed Platinum Hits release in order to make more sales at the original MSRP.

So, at least for KOTOR and TSL, they sold at least 400,000 units in the first nine months. Use that as a way of judging how many copies of TSL got sold. Regardless, they both seem to be at the same level, meaning that it looks to be a commerical success.

Jesus, everybody seems so worried about what awards claim or what others say. You want to taste a flavor, take a swig pay attention to your responses.

And to all this incesant bickering over what to do about cash return and produced results of the next series' installation. Perhaps another tiny thing LA is doing, is waiting for people to settle down, shut up and center because the way many things get discussed just drags on a whole other point of conflicting perspective with ongoing loops.

Perhaps the game should just be made as big "G" himself see's fit being since it's HIS work, whether or not it gets written by others. And I for one am very gracious for what he has presented to society, including execution. If it's not exacted into precise detail...Join up.

Step back and look into why you become attracted, then try some unofficial, or if desired, official persuit of adjoined or descrete contributions, in writing or code. And satisfy yourselves.

A thing that worries me is people go into these heated discussions and it seems like since someone else is taking care of conception, they don't have to. And that's a pretty s***ty way to look at it.

The most key things to worry about, will probably be like a mechanism addition cIV introduced. The almighty mod till you rot from self spoilage implementation.

That should shut just about everyone up and turn even flowing profits. That's all I got to say at this point.

I'm not really interested in a novel that locks Revan and the Exile into specific genders/alignments or replaces what should be KotOR 3 the game. I'm fine with the abstract references used in the KotOR comics I've read thus far.

Does anyone know how many copies of Kotor and TSL were sold? Can't be that hard to find that out...
Actually it does take quite a bit of work to find out KotOR I and II sales figures and even these are rounded figures, not exact numbers.

KotOR Sales -

The game has sold 3 million copies to date (Xbox and PC) and spawned a successful sequel which was launched in Holiday 2004
Source: BioWare

KotOR II: TSL Sales as of 2006-FEB-01

Knights of the Old Republic 2 has sold nearly 1.5 million units
Source: IGN

I'm sure it's at least 1.5 million by now. ;)

I think of games and music album sales along the same lines. If a music album sells 500,000 copies its pretty good and is considered a "gold" album. If a music album sells 1 million copies then it's considered a "platinum" album which is of course better then gold. IMO any game that sells more than 1 million copies is a "successful" game in terms of sales.

Well, I think it can be attributed to the harsh reviews Kotor II got, even if it did that well. ( Us, the "hard core" Star Wars fans may not think it's that bad. Though many do...) I don't think they should listen to those, rather, look at the profits brought in by Kotor I and more importantly, Kotor II.

TSL didn't get harsh reviews. Indeed, they were mostly too kind and rosy. It was only people like Gamespy's Resident Cynic - http://www.gamespy.com/articles/588/588057p1.html - who was critical of it months later. And he even commended the game on its plot.

If critical feedback was the reason, then it surely must have come from the fanbase or from Obsidian.

Actually, as you stated, I was mostly talking about the fan-base; posters on forums mostly. While the game got positive reviews from game critics, the fan-base, to this day, is split in the middle about Kotor II. I personally think it should be looked at as able to spawn a game and a novel, but that's just me.

K gang, sorry.. but I'm guilty of it too... we have dragged this thread waaaaay off-topic, and for that my apologies SilentScope001.

Let's try to redeem this thread and stick to topic.. but by all means feel free to start another one to continue the "side discussion" :)

Archived