Home

What Corrupted them? (Spoilers possibly)

Ok I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this board so I was wondering if someone knew the answer to this . . .

Revan and Malak . . .what Corrupted them, While playing KOTOR and KOTOR II you keep hearing about something that corrupted Revan and Malak on the outer rim of the galaxy . . . .what was it? Was it the true Sith or something??

This is kind of a two part question:

1) Who/ what Corrupted them and . .

2) Who are the true Sith?

I've played both games many times through and I am guessing that KOTOR 3 is going to reveal the answer but maybe it has been answered already and I just did not realize it.

Was it the Star Forge that corrupted them or was that just a tool they were looking for AFTER they were corrupted?

Thanks any info would be great :)

1) Who/ what Corrupted them?

Chronclies state that Revan one talk stumbled upon Malachor V and got consumed by dark side energies. Then he hatched a brilliant idea, to fall to the Dark Side to stop the Mandos, mwhaha!

However, there is also another motive that Kreia hints at: Revan willingly fell to the Dark Side to combat the True Sith that he has discovered.

...We don't know. Ask Kreia. :)

1) Who/ what Corrupted them?

It was the dark power of the Star Maps and the Star Forge, according to Kotor... but did Revan fall? Or was he just true to himself... he didn't fall, imo.

The true Sith... I believe Kriea to be a true Sith...

It's also said that Revan was corrupted long before the Mandalorian War has started, and that the very idea of Mandalorian Wars did belong to Revan. Revan goading them into trying to prove themselves against the Republic, etc. This claim doesn't mesh well with Juhani's stories, though.

Then again, Revan might have been just maintaining the appearance in Taris back then, without an actual intention towards ending the Cathar's trouble for good. After all, the Mandalorians had to be driven back, if only for Revan to look like a hero in the eyes of fellow Jedi, no?

In Kotor I, Vrook suggested that Revan fell to the DS long before he participated in the Mandalorian war. The reason he fell could have been: Starforge, starmap, other.

In Kotor II Kreia claims that it was Malachor V which corrupted him, but she also says that he did it to save the galaxy.

The Chronicles texts at LucasArts site contradicts the story in both games quite seriously, so I doubt it was written by anyone at Bioware or Obsidian, or anyone who has actually played either game. Personally I don't pay much heed to it, I mostly consider it "official" fan fiction used for marketing purposes to build interest for the game prior to release. :)

KOTOR (1) claims Revan fell to the Dark Side during the Mandalorian wars due to the hardships of the war and the decisions they needed to make to achieve victory, and Malak was lead down the dark path by Revan.

I figure that Kreia (whatever she was called at the time) carefully crafted her Padawan prodigy as someone who looked for the echoes and ways to manipulate things to one's advantage. Revan became everything Kreia wanted. But then, Kreia was kicked out or left. Revan was passed to Kae. Then Revan saw how ugly Jedi politics could get when Kae was exiled for the crime of having a baby. Losing two masters? That's gotta disillusion someone greatly. Revan was then passed from master to master, looking for answers and knowledge - and running into a lot of "I can't teach you that" or "you already know more than I can teach."

The Mandalorian Wars hit just as Revan was knighted. The Council does nothing, but isn't it the Jedi's job to protect the innocent and serve the Republic? Revan asks for answers, gets blown off. Thinking of the two masters she lost, Revan concludes the Jedi are more interested in cortosis-armoring their butts than walking the talk. In the eyes of dogmatists like Vrook and Atris, believing the Jedi are wrong amounts to falling to the Dark Side anyway.

So, Revan goes to Kreia, asking how to leave and what advice she can offer about this undertaking. Kreia provides her with directions to the first Star Map, which she took from the Archives on the way out. Revan takes map, starts the war.

Well, the War does its job (just as Kreia was wanting), shaping Revan bit by bit into a monster. No attachments mean people are merely numbers - numbers raised, lowered, and sacrificed easily. Mandalorian atrocity must be met with equal atrocity. They destroy a city, you destroy a continent. They wreck a continent, you wreck a planet. All the while, she's obtaining clues as to the True Sith - the force that prompted the Mandalorians to invade in the first place. By the time Malachor rolls around, Revan's a Sith in all but name.

There's still much to be done, so she starts sorting through the ranks. Those who would literally follow her to hell get to stay with her. Those who won't get sent to Malachor. She arrives after the Mass Shadow Generator is fired up, slays Mandalore, blows up the weapons and armor of the surviving Mandalorians, and sends the Republic remnants home. While they're off celebrating, she goes on the surface and finds the teachings of Trayus Academy, leanring about the True Sith. She decides that the galaxy must be united under a single banner, a single Lord, a single side of the Force, in order so there can be "peace" and "order." (Much like Sideous and Anakin 4000 years later). Y'see, I don't think Darth Revan was fighting the True Sith - I think Darth Revan thought the teachings had merit and embraced them, sacrificing any last trace of Jedi in her in order to destroy a system she no longer believed worked. The galaxy could not be united in light, but you could put it all into darkness.

(I see this as playing into Kreia's hands, BTW. If the galaxy was wholly tilted one way or another, it weakened the Force greatly and would make it easier for Kreia to destroy.)

So, to carry out this crusade, Revan gets the last couple maps, crashes on Lehon, spends a few months there setting things up and backstabbing both tribes on the island, and gets the Star Forge. Of course, the Star Forge has the infinite fleet she wants, but she comes to realize it's a rather dangerous tool, and doesn't plan on exploiting its full potential. She will just take what she needs from it and use other methods - like the squads Atton Rand was in and HK-47's assassination skills - for most of it. (See Mical and Kreia's assessment of her tactics)

Malak wasn't in on most of it. Personal theory goes that she wanted the Force Sensitives on Telos (Atton Rand's comment about needing more Jedi, Kreia's description of Telos), and wanted Saul tested, so she orders Malak to find a way. Malak does the equivilent of driving a Mac Truck through the garden she wanted harvested. Saul passes test, Malak blows it. (Both games went well out of their way to say Telos was Malak's doing, especially by people who wouldn't have been privy to it. So, it must have been a pretty big fallout for it to be public like that). Malak ends up being a great enforcer, but not the one who should be leading things. Malak, of course, disagrees, and expresses that disagreement when Revan's busy fending off a Jedi strike team.

Well, depending on who you talk to, veiws, and facts behind it... Arren Kae is considered by me and someothers to actually be Kreia. But onto the question.

Corrupted, evil, fall, ect are such vague words.

Personally, I believe through conversations in game that Revan was never truly Sith or Jedi, never Light or Dark but swayed between them at times. The Trayus Academy and Malachor V opened up Revan's eyes to something that deeply disturbed and frightening him/her. Something that presented a deep threat to the galaxy, a threat that created the Mandalorian Wars through manipulation and would possibly do it again to make sure the Republic was fully and completely crushed. Revan then made a plan to save the Republic by taking it over, making it stronger than ever to defend against the threat.

The Star Forge was something that Revan discovered at Malachor V. He/she followed the clues in the Star Maps on different planets ad eventually found the factory. Revan, not being truly Light or Dark even after his/her visit to Malachor, saw it plainly as a factory and wanted nothing more to do with it, as it was a massive Dark side fueled machine of the Rakata. Some even believe that Revan fell to the Dark Side for the soul purpose of being able to control the Star Forge, trying to find a way to defeat and reform the Republic using the Light or Dark. It did not matter, because either could work.

Malak, however, was falling fast to the Dark Side as well as the rest of the men and women under Revan's command. It consumed them and drove them into being the ones we know as Sith. Malak hated that Revan would not use the Dark Side power of the Star Force to increase his/her own power and decided it was soon time to take over as Sith Lord.

Some would blame Kreia/Kae for everything as well. There is evidence to say that Kreia/Kae trained and corrupted Revan, but personally I do not buy it. Kreia/Kae did want to destroy the Force, but that impulse might not have appeared until after she had been expelled from the Order for both having a child and being blamed for Revan.

Evidence? Kreia/Kae highly respected her powerful Padawan. Respected her undieing individuality and determination to learn everything she could. In one conversation, Kreia/Kae speaks of her Padawan always doing absolutely everything at his/her own will, no other person having any effect on his/her beliefs. This may have been a lie to the Exile, but I still think Kreia/Kae respected her old Padawan too much to do that to him/her. Kreia/Kae's gray beliefs may have even come from Revan to a certain extent.

Nobody knows but Revan, and that is what led Revan to do everything that happened. All we do know is that they are old and powerful and nothing we have ever seen before. Some think the "True Sith", in essence, is Kreia, Sion, and Nihilus but evidence behind this proves that wrong. Kreia believes there is something out there stronger than them, and that Revan has put him/her self right into the middle of it.

But, again, this is all my opinion and everybody is entitled to their own. Take what you read and form your own belief... that is what Kotor is all about!

1) you don't hear Revan speak, and the actions he take's are subjective, but in K1 I got the impression that, (similer to Anakin's fall) he thought he was doing the right thing, and that sacrifices needed to be made for the greater good, he had become disillusioned with the Order and had been corrupted by the power of the Star forge.

Then in TSL it seemed as though he had been groomed in a way that lead to the darkside, whether to defeat the True Sith or to aide Kreia's complete destruction of the force, who knows.

Malak on the other hand, I think he wanted some dakside as soon as they found the starmap on dantooine, although I don't know if he would of taken that path alone, I know that he and Revan were both Knights but I think Revan took the lead in most things they did.

2)

I still think they should look a lot like the sith from the Sith Empire such as Ludo Kressh

Kressh.jpg

Archived