Home

Other point n clicks

Brighteyes

If I were head of EA or some other big games company, I would definitely make games with the pixely art style (just as free games or XBox live arcade games or something). The retro art style is brilliant, not only does it look amazing but it is also a really nice feeling to think that someone has sat down and gone to all that effort out of love for fun things rather than... whatever people nowadays do it for... money I guess..

Also, speaking of XBox Live, LucasArts could make a killing if they released games like Monkey Island on the Arcade. I would DEFINITELY pay £8 or whatever it is to be able to play those games on my TV in my bedroom on my XBox... why the hell would they not do it...

They probably don't even have the old tools and files they need to modify/patch the games into a compatible state, never mind the staff who know how to use them.

This is the only reason I can see for Grim Fandango not being re-released for XP and/or Vista. It continues to sell (or be downloaded) pretty well and new players are stumbling by the Grim Fandango forum on a weekly basis.

You can still buy new copies but they only work properly on Windows 95/98, OK on XP, and hardly at all on Vista. :(

I must be lucky, then. I've just installed Grim Fandango on Vista and it seems to be working fine. I had to change the compatibility mode to Windows 98/ME, before that the sound would suddenly stop and not come back, but now the only problem I have is a little graphics bug with Manny's shadow, which doesn't affect the actual gameplay. Although I'm only up to the Petrified Forest so far, so we'll see...

I was really surprised when I installed it and it actually ran. I've tried running Monkey Island 1 & 2 on Vista but those won't work at all. :(

Some people including myself can definitely run it on Vista SeaTurtle, but most can't run it with hardware acceleration (improves the model graphics significantly) and some can't run it at all. :(

I would expect things to only get worse as time goes on, and new hardware/operating systems make matters even messier.

Archived