Home

Game length

It took me about 16 or 17 hours the first time, and from what I understand it's between 15-20 for the majority of people. That was without delving too heavily into the collectables and whatnot, but I did spend some time exploring the camp to see the various events as the characters around the camp continually change position as you progress through the game and are doing different things. :)

It's certainly a reasonably lengthy game and you should feel satisfied at the end of it.

I've been through the game many times (see my Deep Arrowhead Lode Map in the top discussion in this forum as proof) and, of course, get faster with each time. I think the last time was about 9 hours total or so.

As others have said, making sure you get everything is what takes most of the time. In "Milla's Dance Party" it's a bear to get all the figments. They did a great job, especially in the "Race", of hiding the figments in plain sight. They're evil geniuses, I tell ya.

And don't even get me started on the freakin' Meat Circus level. I hate it so much that sometimes I'll play the game through up until the "Point of No Return" and then I'll quit and start the game all over.

• 4 weeks later...

I just replayed the game and the last save I did just before going into the end of the Meat Circus (the game does another AutoSave at this point) was 7:45. I figure I got to the end about a half hour or 3/4 of an hour later.

Don't tell Tim Schafer ;-) but to cut down on time, it helps to be able to zip through the dialogue (pressing the "jump" button allows you to skip through the dialogue) and hitting the "exit" or X button on the game controller will end a cut scene and take you onto the next scene/level.

Right now, I'm actually doing a bare minimal speed play where I just basically run through the levels to see how long all this collecting makes. And I finished the second part of the brain tumbler exp. where Sasha gives you the oarsmans badge and you gotta go to Milla's Dance Party. Do you know how long it take me to get there?

20 minutes, no lie. Collecting really does take up a lot of your time.

U am make me cry. The dialouge is like my favorite part of this game.

Don't get me wrong. I loved the script. I enjoyed the dialogue and the cut scenes. Tim's British Oscar for the game's script was well deserved.

But after the 8th or 9th time through the game, you really don't want to have to sit through the extensive dialogue with the dogs in the alleys of Black Velvetopia again if you really don't have to.

The great thing about the PC version is you can keep your game saves which helps shorten the game's length. Instead of starting over from the beginning every time I go back to play the game, I have a PC game save where Raz has already been through Basic Braining (and has gotten every last freakin' figment...even those floating ones in the Tumbling Log Maze at the end), and has gotten every reachable Psi-card and Psi-Core in the Kid's Camp area (except for the one high up on the rope) and in the Lodge/Parking Lot area (except for the two where you need Levitation).

This save is at the 49 minute mark. I probably could go back in and trim a lot of time off, but I think it's a good re-starting point when replaying the game.

Thanks to my speed at collecting things (cards, cores, figments, etc) by the time I finish the Waterloo World, I already have automatic regeneration for my health (which I think is level 90) before I start the Upper Levels of Thorny Towers.

Feel free to listen to all the dialogue you want. As for me, I'll zip through it now.

Edited to add: I just realized that even though I skip the cutscenes to save on time, there is one cutscene I always watch: The Milkman Awakens. There's just something about that cutscene that I like.

Archived