Home

KOTOR 3 suggestion

jedispy

Regardless of the plot or platform (though I hope it makes it to PC) I want to have ability to have more than just 3 people in the party at a time. Maybe there can be a limit, but there's just got to be more than three.

That's one thing I liked about Baldur's Gate (another good Bioware game). Having more than just 3 peeps made it really enjoyable. (I think the limit was 5 people).

[edit] making the change to the title as requested below

Meh. I have nothing against larger parties in principle. I love Baldur's Gate and the related Infinity Engine games that allow six total party members. But for me KotOR is characterised by the three-person party. I would feel the same if a Baldur's Gate 3 came out and had anything other than a six-person party.

The best argument I could make against it, I suppose, would be that larger parties don't really fit well in a three-dimensional over-the-shoulder point of view. You either have to sacrifice some of the advantages of emersing a player in a 3D environment for a more top-down view, or you force the player to click on portrait after portrait to manage the party. I, personally, would prefer a game designed to require the player to make creative use of items and weapons in battle rather than over-powering everything with a large party. I'll sacrifice the banter and party-member interaction--it'll encourage players to play the game again using different members in their party at different points in the game.

It certainly won't make or break the game for me in any way--I'd just perfer the three-person party.

You do have good points. I don't necessarily agree 100%, but I respect your viewpoint.

Another suggestion is along the same line as you were talking. I wish there would be an option where you can zoom in/out (within reason of course). It's not a huge deal, but sometimes there's things you want to see while other things are happening.

Generally no game should force the size of a group, since there is no logical reason why you couldn't have pretty much any number of people with you. If there is to be a limit, I'd rather have it set by circumstances.

For example, early in the game, you can all your companions with you, but you just don't have many of them yet. Then you get more, but you also get a starship (Ebon Hawk?), which somebody has to guard. So any two companions can never leave the ship, reducing your active party. Then you get a landspeeder or similar, which holds perhaps four or five people, but one has to pilot it, so if you use it to go anywhere, you can have only the number of people it holds minus one in your active party.

Other than that, you can have partymembers limited by internal disagreement. For example, a Jedi will not be a group if you enlist a Sith, a republic soldier will not fight side by side with a mandalorian. There could be any number of internal personal conflicts forcing this issue.

I'd be okay with it remaining 3 person parties, however I think there should be at least 1 moment towards the end with everyone in on the action. It annoyed me when you get on the Star Forge in the first game, but only take 2 people into the fight.

Three person parties are fine with me...the one innovation that TSL brought that I really enjoyed that "forced" you to use other characters was the split mission. I think that this would be a very good tool to use to give the feel of playing with more than three characters at a time, but still keeping the party size within reason for the 3d enviroment and over the shoulder view. Here's hoping that they actually use this feature more in the next installment...

Well, er...

I am somewhat okay with having 3 people in a party. Why? It does not look pretty athesitically pleasing to have 10 Jedi rampaging through an entire city, blowing up to obilvion. Where's the game balance?

It just seems to be easy to balance the game when you only have 3 people. More than that, and you automatically have the advantage. I don't want K3 to be a Pile-On, you know.

Though, I would like it if there was the 3-way spilt. 3 party members go to Point A, 3 party members go to Point B, and 3 Party Members go to Point C. Secure all those Points to defend the Republic from the True Sith!

Or if there was a huge scale battle (like geonosis or something) then it would make sense to have tons of people in your team.

That could be handled by spilting the party into 3 Task Forces to head to 3 Very Important Points. One Task Force can help Jedi escape from the Jedi Temple being attacked by True Sith, another Task Force can go and help liberate some buildings being held by the True Sith, and the last Task Force (led by the Player) can go and take the war to the source and battle the True Sith Lord in space.

3 people in my party at once is enough, though I wouldn't necessarily object if Obsidian decided to change that.

I do, however, like the idea of splitting up into 3 different task forces, especially if the end of K3 does deal with some huge battle with the True Sith. I would love to see a Republic/Madalorian alliance. The Republic led by Carth and 3 party members, the Mandalorians led by Canderous/Mandalore and 3 party members, then you and two other party members could make a covert attack at the heart of their fleet.

I think a 3 party team suffices for the scale of Kotor; you don't really need more members because it always allow your team to catch up against odds and fight through huge parties. If Kotor III were to increase the size of planets and make the rpging more complicated, then perhaps 5 members would be better.

That could be handled by spilting the party into 3 Task Forces to head to 3 Very Important Points. One Task Force can help Jedi escape from the Jedi Temple being attacked by True Sith, another Task Force can go and help liberate some buildings being held by the True Sith, and the last Task Force (led by the Player) can go and take the war to the source and battle the True Sith Lord in space.

Hmm, somehow that idea seems vaguely familiar for some reason... ;)

I'd be okay with it remaining 3 person parties, however I think there should be at least 1 moment towards the end with everyone in on the action. It annoyed me when you get on the Star Forge in the first game, but only take 2 people into the fight.

Somebody had to guard the ship.

Somebody had to guard the ship.

Yes, but you have Jolee, Juhani, HK-47, T3, Mission, Zaalbar, Canderous, and Carth (remove Zaalbar, Juhani, Jolee, and Carth if DS) with you and can take only two of them in the group. Assuming LS, that leaves six people behind. Just how many need to guard the ship when the jedi you meet just outside also say that they will stay and protect it?!?

Well sometimes it would make more sense if you had more party-members along and some of the dialogs among different characters would make more sense aswell .

I think you had this most in TSL , your running around with your party and a cutscéne starts ; "Pop" theres a character of your group you left at the Ebon Hawk . How did he/she knows where I am ?

Really sometimes you get a weird situations :p , but then again running around with six people all armed and buffed up ... suspicious isn't it :D

So like all the others above , the party size should be based on the ongoing story . That would give a great variaty how you would play the game .

Yarhgh ~Q

I really like the idea of being able to split the party more and more...especially if you have "Jedi" in your group...It always seems that seem to lead a contingent of soldiers during time of conflict - why not use that dynamic with your party. The culmination on Dxun/Onderon in TSL is a great example of how this could work and work well - just expand upon it...

Archived