Home

Loom remake?

Krasas

I have two questions that might correlate.

1. Has "Loom" been officially declared abandonware?

2. Can a fan (me) or a fan group attempt a remake of the Loom (based on and re-using much of the original's content) (and possibly using some free engine like AGS or Wintermute)?

I have some rough ideas about a remake, being totally faithful to the original ega floppy version (which I own), but I'd like to know if I'm legally allowed to do it, before pursuing it.

Thank you,

1. Has "Loom" been officially declared abandonware?

No. And it's a pretty safe bet that it won't in your lifetime.

2. Can a fan (me) or a fan group attempt a remake of the Loom (based on and re-using much of the original's content) (and possibly using some free engine like AGS or Wintermute)?

You can certainly try. It's been done before, rather successfully (see the Maniac Mansion remake). LucasArts probably has every legal right to shut you down, but that doesn't mean they will.

I'm not exactly sure what LucasArts' disposition towards fan games is these days. There was a time when they'd shut down anything and everything in sight, but recently it seems like they don't much care. I'd say go for it...the worst that can happen is they tell you to stop.

Yeah, go for it. Although if you're basing this on the fact that you have an EGA version, bear in mind that Loom already has a pretty decent CD-ROM version. It's 256 colours, I believe, with a full talkie soundtrack. But if you can improve, definitely do it! The more re-makes the better, I say.

I think it's technically illegal, but in the same way that crossing the road where there's a red man, or burning a stamp, or shooting a Welshman is technically illegal.

A Maniac Mansion remake was made, and has done very well (with no cease and desist from LucasArts... though that's no guarantee that they'll let another remake be done).

I know that LucasFan Games was going to make a Raiders of the Lost Ark graphic adventure adaptation in the vein of the Last Crusade/Fate of Atlantis games, but they shut down. I don't know if that was LucasArts' doing or if they decided on their own to stop.

The reason LucasArts hunts down these fan games though is not because they want to sue all their fans or something, but because they're trying to protect their trademarks. Every company does this. If fans constantly make their own games out of their property and sell Monkey Island T-shirts etc. and LucasArts is aware of it and never does anything about it, then they risk losing their trademarks, because you're supposed to go out your way to defend them if you want to hang on to them. It's the same logic behind the recent "Digg vs The Dig" thing. The infringement thing is prepostrous, and LucasArts probably knows that, but it's just a way of showing that they're actively supporting/defending their older trademarks. (If you read the legal papers, LucasArts proudly namechecks other IP like Monkey Island. Also check out some of their past trademark quibbles, including two instances of Full Throttle.) What pisses me off is that you know damn well that LucasArts doesn't give a **** about those titles and has no foreseeable plans to do anything with that old IP, but that's just policy with any company I imagine.

Ok, I see.

Thanks everyone for all the input!

So since I am still in the beginning (and this project could take quite a while), I'll start off slow and show some progress updates from time to time. Hopefully, they'll shut me (or the team if any) down in the early stages of development, if ever :)

The main ideas behind the remake is:

1. Improve and add some sound fx. Also improve music transitions and avoid annoying looping.

2. Keep the original dialogue from the EGA version -and NOT the CD version- intact. Some possible additions will be made but no modifications whatsoever.

3. Add an inventory system. Though, Bobbin would take and carry only two things (a Book of Patterns and a Weavers Chronicles book).

4. Add a "Book of Patterns" system, where Bobbin can easily recall drafts that he has learnt.

5. The Weaver's Chronicles book would have passages from the audio drama (written by Clothos) that will play out as flashback cutscenes while Bobbin choses to read them. Some additional flashbacks will be played during the course of the game (e.g. Cygna's transceding will not be played until later in the game when Bobbin learns the truth about his mother).

6. The locations will probably be from the VGA version or better. I have not made up my mind about this. I'd like to make character models in 3d, but this also is not final.

7. No speech. I suppose there will be some provision for speech addition (by fans), but this won't be a task for the core remake team.

8. Some of the drafts will affect more items. A new draft might be added.

And... that's about it.

I think it's quite an optimistic task. (maybe insane). And I expect it to take a lot of time to complete.

• 3 months later...

It seems to me that LucasAsrts have been fairly sensible about this. They shut you down if you use a property that has commercial value to them, and they ignore you otherwise. Monkey Island still has some commercial value, and Indiana Jones has HUGE commercial value. LucasFans made a Maniac Mansion remake and Zak McKracken sequel with no problems. But the moment they said that Indiana Jones would be next then WHAMMO there is no more LucasFans.

I'm pretty sure Loom would be safe to do.

Again, don't spread rumors. LucasFan is still around. He and his crew did not get taken down by LucasArts. They are removing their web-presence to not gain attention.

And if anyone were to remake Loom, I can only hope you would include parts from the unmade sequels,

"The Fold"

http://www.mixnmojo.com/php/site/gamedb.php?gameid=115

and

"Forge"

http://www.mixnmojo.com/php/site/gamedb.php?gameid=100

Again, don't spread rumors. LucasFan is still around. He and his crew did not get taken down by LucasArts. They are removing their web-presence to not gain attention.

My apologies. I'm not a regular on this board so I didn't know. But if their intention is to keep a low profile, I'd think they would welcome a rumor that they don't exist. :)

• 1 year later...

Archived