Home

OJP Block System

biosky

I just love it when people come here thinking that they can improve out mod by turning it into MB2. Its like every 10th post these days :p I'm sick of explaining why our system is more movie realistic or visually appealing than MB2 to people who probably don't know the first thing about how our combat system works so I'll just summarize:

Our parries are our "blocks" that perserve your DP meter and our autoblocks are really just hits that drain your DP meter really fast. You can parry while you swing. This system allows for twice as many swings in a duel as MB2 and alot more comboing and thus, alot more movie like. Watch our new trailer to see what I mean. Good offense in our mod means combing and hitting in ways that are hard to parry. Defense in our mod means parrying and and attack parrying in ways that exploit your opponents Mishap meter. Every move we have in our mod has very specific roles and there are alot of them. To learn all the exploits and different techniques of our mod, read the manual at this forum or in your enhanced folder.

Oh and btw, if you like one hit kills like MB2 has, our newer code has them but its done in a way that doesn't take away from our system. And don't assume just because you can't figure out our system right away that its simple or uncomplex. Unfortunately thats what most people do and give up or are pleasantly surprised when we finally explain things to them or they read the manual. This system is several years in the making and just about every issue has been debated nonstop...and most of us are former MB2 players.

Hockey, if you want to put a stop to a lot of these discussions, we could do a "Why OJP isn't more like MB2" sticky or something. :)

Ok, i believe that rotate swing with saber is too slow, another question, how can i combine this combat system with battlemovies 2?

What do you mean by rotate swing?

You cant...unless movie battles has released their code without me knowing.

Actually, I have a copy of the MB2 source code. We could probably get a newer version if someone was actually interested in porting code from it.

Hockey, if you want to put a stop to a lot of these discussions, we could do a "Why OJP isn't more like MB2" sticky or something.

LOL, maybe. Its just sad that we'd have to do that and I'm not sure what the MB team would think of that :p

Actually, I have a copy of the MB2 source code. We could probably get a newer version if someone was actually interested in porting code from it.

Actually quite a few people have been who have come through here. I've gotten PMs asking for it. But the MB team only allows us to use there code for OJP purposes last I checked and don't want other people porting stuff without their permission. However, They have discussed releasing just their saber system itself as a seperate mod in the past, I'm not sure what they think about that now.

*not OJP member*

My personal opinion of MB's saber combat is that it is not as good as OJP's, looking at both skill level needed to use it and the fun that it procreates.

*OJP member*

I think our saber systems are both very good and are useful or fun on different levels and on different occassions.

Either way I think the OJP block system is more fun and intuitive to use if not also more logical. It opens up so much possibilities and building upon it seems to be able to last forever in theory. The only thing that is making our system even the smallest bit less movielike, the only thing that is withholding it from total superiority I think is that you have to move around to parry which sometimes seems to look like you're doing EP3 on even more steroids while trying to 2-step while saberfighting.

Honestly I'd rather sacrifice that little whit of movierealism to be able to get more fun out of the system, which I do.

I'm testing mod only with bots because i can't find server, when i block there are too many block saber-to-saber, i don't like each 3 second a force-block saber vs saber. Animation are not very clean in speed and sound of saber isn't very good. I'm waiting next version to see other things.

I see 2 to 3 servers each time I'm on, blocking saber to saber is everywhere in the movies and in any other Starwars movies/games/books/whatever. Animations are as clean as a whistle only much faster than their MB counterpart and the sounds are Base sounds.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to make my own version of OJP with the MBII saber system for games with my friends. But then again it might mess up the bots in coop ... but yeah it would be nice if they released their source code. Maybe two saber system in OJP, the original one by default with the possibility of editing some conf files to get MBII ..

PS: Nothing really against your saber system but it's a personal preference. It's easier on the noob :)

What's the point in playing OJP if you don't use its amazing saber system... MB2 has a poor, but yet very easy saber system, that must be why... But you know, avoiding difficulty is not always the solution, you could learn OJP saber system, and then play with it, which is far less boring, nearly every fight is unique, contrary to MB2.

And another problem is : you can't replace OJP sabersys by MB2 sabersys, because MB2 isn't open source.

I tend to agree. Pulling out the saber system and emulating the MB2 one would be a huge undertaking. You're welcome to try, but I think you'd be better off sticking with the OJP saber combat system. Once you "get" parrying (and figure out that you can't run while sabering) it's pretty easy to play and a much more forgiving than MB2.

*Of course, I can't really comment because I wrote it. :)

I tend to agree. Pulling out the saber system and emulating the MB2 one would be a huge undertaking. You're welcome to try, but I think you'd be better off sticking with the OJP saber combat system. Once you "get" parrying (and figure out that you can't run while sabering) it's pretty easy to play and a much more forgiving than MB2.

*Of course, I can't really comment because I wrote it. :)

Yeah but playing against bots (either gunners or siths) in coop mode is pretty wierd and not very visually appealing; and it's missing the one blow one kill that I love so much in MBII.

I love what OJP has done to JKA MP (I'm also a huge believer in open source), but on a personnal level, for me it would be much more 'fun' with MBII saber system; I also like to idea to build my own 'mod' for myself and my friends.

Are you referring to the multiplayer bots or the NPCs found on Singleplayer maps? In theory, most of the gunners NPCs should be killable in one swing since they lack any really DP ability.

I've been told this isn't always be case and I'm looking into it. Anyway, it's probably just a damage level problem which can be fixed with saber damage scalar cvar, whatever-that-is.

Secondly, you can turn off the Dodges and slow down the DP regeneration for swing blocks as well using cvars. Look at the OJP cvar list for details...

Yeah but playing against bots (either gunners or siths) in coop mode is pretty wierd and not very visually appealing; and it's missing the one blow one kill that I love so much in MBII.

Coop mode can't use our normal tabbots so the saber bots there won't be as hard and can't really parry anything (which we really need to change). BTW, in 0.0.9v, there ARE one hit kills. Its based on running and getting hit swing or running and getting hit from behind. Also, running swings do double DP damage so it gives incentive to try them. This should also make coop a bit more challenging too since those bots tend to run a hit in small sperts.

I love what OJP has done to JKA MP (I'm also a huge believer in open source), but on a personnal level, for me it would be much more 'fun' with MBII saber system; I also like to idea to build my own 'mod' for myself and my friends.

Your only the 100th person to say and ask the same thing :p Your welcome to build one yourself from OJP code, but none of us have the time nor the desire to do such a thing. Even porting the MB2 code which only OJP itself is allowed to use aside from MB2 staffers would be a time consuming challenge and we would need to ask permission to make it an public build.

And I'll say the same thing to you as every other person who asks this. GIVE OJP A CHANCE!! :p Read the manual, ask an willing OJP vet, whatever, just learn our system well before just passing us by like hundreds of other players have because they couldn't figure it out or were too impatient to read the manual.

Theres reasons why several former and currant MB2 sabersystem experts including Yoda the Wise (can kill just about anybody) and Maxstate (formerly TKPaddy who won 2nd place in a MB2 saber competition [and regularely beat the 1st place guy]) think that saber system is a joke compared to this one. Not to say the MB2 one isnt good, but we've spend a heck of alot more time making sure this one is better and more true to the movies.

Lastly, if theres something that you think can be changed or improved upon in our system, theres ALOT bigger chance of it actually changing since we're a much smaller community than MB2, but this is only for people who understand ALL of the features of this system.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. I'm just sick of people passing us by because of lack of understanding or unwillingness to change. If you do know our sabersystem really well, just ignore me :p I suppose our lack of servers can also be somewhat attributed to the fact that we update betas alot and players have a hard time keeping up, but we're getting alot closer to a more publicly releasable product.

Oh yeah, and I'm back from Seattle everyone, so I'll be around alot more.

Coop mode can't use our normal tabbots so the saber bots there won't be as hard and can't really parry anything (which we really need to change). BTW, in 0.0.9v, there ARE one hit kills. Its based on running and getting hit swing or running and getting hit from behind. Also, running swings do double DP damage so it gives incentive to try them. This should also make coop a bit more challenging too since those bots tend to run a hit in small sperts.

Your only the 100th person to say and ask the same thing :p Your welcome to build one yourself from OJP code, but none of us have the time nor the desire to do such a thing. Even porting the MB2 code which only OJP itself is allowed to use aside from MB2 staffers would be a time consuming challenge and we would need to ask permission to make it an public build.

And I'll say the same thing to you as every other person who asks this. GIVE OJP A CHANCE!! :p Read the manual, ask an willing OJP vet, whatever, just learn our system well before just passing us by like hundreds of other players have because they couldn't figure it out or were too impatient to read the manual.

Theres reasons why several former and currant MB2 sabersystem experts including Yoda the Wise (can kill just about anybody) and Maxstate (formerly TKPaddy who won 2nd place in a MB2 saber competition [and regularely beat the 1st place guy]) think that saber system is a joke compared to this one. Not to say the MB2 one isnt good, but we've spend a heck of alot more time making sure this one is better and more true to the movies.

Lastly, if theres something that you think can be changed or improved upon in our system, theres ALOT bigger chance of it actually changing since we're a much smaller community than MB2, but this is only for people who understand ALL of the features of this system.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. I'm just sick of people passing us by because of lack of understanding or unwillingness to change. If you do know our sabersystem really well, just ignore me :p I suppose our lack of servers can also be somewhat attributed to the fact that we update betas alot and players have a hard time keeping up, but we're getting alot closer to a more publicly releasable product.

Oh yeah, and I'm back from Seattle everyone, so I'll be around alot more.

Yo yo yo preach it!

I don't even know why we're considering something like this. I don't have anything against moviebattles' sabersystem, but I can see why people would think it would be easier or more suited for gunner/jedi gameplay.

All of you have to understand that this mod is not yet out of it's infancy and still needs some time to grow. Once we get some bugs fixed here and there we're hoping that combat between jedi and gunners will be as fun if not more fun than MBII's version.

009v has already succeeded in taking gameplay to the next level and I can only imagine what the next build will bring. The problem however is that noone is expressing their thoughts or opinions and our programmers are getting creatively stuck because they don't know what they have to do.

When they do take the initiative and do something noone likes it so both positions are understandable.

I'll be trying to pump in as much bugs and opinions as I can once I get more free time from school you guys. I'm currently in school and when I get home I have dossiers to finish and when I finish those I need to go work so I really don't have much time lately, and my contributions will be scarce for this time.

I have gotten one day less to work (saturdays) because the guy I was replacing came back from vacation. Hopefully we'll get some work done on saturday.

My question however is that all of you, and especially you lurkers that I know are watching this under guest accounts get hamachi and join 31bit2 (password gilde). I can get an 8 man server full on my own but I need more players! The easyness of installation of both hamachi and OJP and the gameplay of 009v is certainly worth it, dudes.

Bio and 1650 --

I, too, am a noob with many of the same questions/concerns as you too.

I found the new saber system to not be difficult to learn at all. The keys are: 1) walk, don't run and, 2) read the manual - the only really "new" feature (other than balancing) is the parry, which is not as complicated as it first seems.

This system is, IMHO, way better for playing against bots, because they last a lot longer in fights than they normally do....I even have Uber Bots that beat me regularly (set response time<100; turn speed>.05; turn speed/combat>.07), which is much more challenging than the "one swing and they're dead" effect in other mods.

Still, if you want one-hit kills, just use the set g_saberdamagescale "2" cvar and sabers will do twice normal damage ("3"=3x; "4"=4x, etc.).

One thing for razor and others: I couldn't find the cvars for turning off Dodge...any suggestions?

TB

Archived