Home

PC gamers: What would it take to convert you to consoles?

Char Ell

Well, since I own consoles and play console games, it wouldn't take too much to sway me because I am one of the rare few who actually enjoys console gaming better than PC gaming.

(Yeah, you heard me! :xp: )

I play console games to play the game. I play PC games to play around with the game. Get the difference?

When I play a game on the PC, I am too busy trying to figure out how to mod something, or what not. When I play on our XBox or XBox 360, I play the game and nothing else. And more times than not, I will actually play a game more or even finish a game more times if I play on a console since I am not trying to figure out how to change things, like I do on our PC.

So, in summary, while I do enjoy games on the PC, I actually prefer gaming on our XBox (360) more... but I am sure I am in the minority (wouldn't be the first time :rolleyes::xp: )

Cookies are always nice.

Ability to mod is even nicer. Also, an oath signed in blood that devs won't make any really cool PC-only games ever again.

Janet raises a good point about the nature of mods, but not all bugs are hardware related and consoles aren't known for their patch managment. If a console game is released with bugs in the code, then the console player is screwed.

There are two things that turn me away from consoles. Well, three, actually. Consoles are overpriced, games often end up being released with bugs that stay uncorrected, and they usually have limited storage capability, which means a limited number of saved games, and little to no support for mods, not to mention no support for patches.

Well, the only things stopping me from getting a console are:

1. Money. I'd like it if consoles got cheaper. The PS3 here is overpriced (like everywhere else) and the XBOX 360 isn't exactly cheap...

You know, I've seen others on the different forums I visit say pretty much this exact same phrase when asked why they don't console game, and it makes me curious...

Why exactly do some people feel that a console is such an exorbitant purchase, price-wise, when a PC costs just as much, if not more than a console does? Is it because a console is smaller, therefore you don't feel as if you've spent the money wisely, or what?

Considering that with every new year, and every new game that comes out for the PC within a given year, a PC gamer will more than likely have to do a system upgrade at some point just to be a able to run some games with higher system specs--and also considering that a console game is not going to require anything new added to it (you just pop a game in and play), then how can anyone complain that a console is too much to pay for?

For instance: in 2003 we bought our XBox right after they came out on the market. We paid close to $350 for it and two games, one of which was KotOR. We still have this same XBox and our original KotOR XBox game, which are still in fine shape (because we take care of our major purchases, but that's a whole other subject). Anyway, we played KotOR on our XBox for close to 7 months with no problems whatsoever before we (hubby and I) finally did as I'm sure everyone does: we got bored with the game and put it away.

Then, KotOR II came out and we got that for our XBox. Now, I won't lie and say that we had as much fun playing KotOR II as we did KotOR, but we still played that game to death. But, due to the fact that KotOR II's ending really annoyed us, I got on the Obsidian and Bioware boards to see if we had maybe missed something somewhere and the ending we were getting was wrong (later learned that the game was supposed to end like that, but let's not get into that subject, m'kay? ;))

Anyway, one day, I followed a link on Obsidian's boards here to Lucas Forums, and saw that---OMG! You guys were modding KotOR and KotOR II! Needless to say, but I just had to get both games for the PC to mod! Only problem was, the PC we had at the time didn't near about meet the required or recommended specs for either game and I was left with two PC games I couldn't even run. But then our old PC finally died a horrendous death and we had to get a brand new one--not for the games, mind you, but because our old PC went caput.

So, there I was with a brand new PC, and you know what? I still couldn't even run the games! Our graphics card, which came with our new computer, wasn't compatible. We had to go out and buy a new graphics card, plus a memory stick to up our physical memory so that my character wasn't continuously "skiing" everywhere in the game (I still have problems with Revan and Exile going "skiing" everywhere, but it still isn't as bad as it was!)

My point with this long rambling post is that while we were playing KotOR and KotOR II on our XBox, we enjoyed the games and had no trouble running either. It wasn't until I wanted to mod the games on the PC versions that I had to fork over extra money. So, in the long run, I think our XBox purchase, while expensive at the time, was well worth the money we invested in it (and that is really how you should look at a console purchase. It's an investment--or at least it is to me), so I still can't see why anyone would complain that a console costs too much when it was the PC that actually cost more for us to be able to run the games.

(Yes, yes, I know... the graphics are way better on the PC, blah blah blah, etc... etc... etc... BUT! I still have trouble running both games on the PC as they were meant to be run. I had to spend extra money to upgrade our PC just so that it would run the games as well as it does now, which still isn't wonderful...)

You know, I've seen others on the different forums I visit say pretty much this exact same phrase when asked why they don't console game, and it makes me curious...

Why exactly do some people feel that a console is such an exorbitant purchase, price-wise, when a PC costs just as much, if not more than a console does? Is it because a console is smaller, therefore you don't feel as if you've spent the money wisely, or what?

In my case it's because consoles are meant for just one thing: playing games, while computers can be used for so much more, both entertainment and more "serious" things. So, while a computer is more expensive you get a lot more for the money, which makes them easier to spend. :)

In my case I use the computer instead of a TV, stereo, Movie-DVD player and game console just on the entertainment front, which still makes it fairly price-worthy in the end, if you consider what those devices would have cost to buy.

(Though that said the cost is only a small part in why I don't like consoles and likely never will buy one, as mentioned above.)

In my case it's because consoles are meant for just one thing: playing games, while computers can be used for so much more, both entertainment and more "serious" things.
In my case I use the computer instead of a TV, stereo, Movie-DVD player and game console just on the entertainment front, which still makes it fairly price-worthy in the end, if you consider what those devices would have cost to buy.

Quite true, but it should be known that an XBox and XBox 360 can play DVDs, store music, play your stored music during certain games, and can be used to surf the internet. So I wouldn't exactly say that all you can do with consoles is play games, when in fact you can do more with them. :D

Don't get me wrong, I love my PC! But I have never been, nor will I ever be (or even consider myself) a PC Gamer like some of you do because I like console gaming more. It's just a personal choice. :thumbsup:

Because a PC can do much more than a console ever can. You get teh internets, with Firefox, you get well, plenty of stuff you can't get in a console. So even if it needs a regular upgrade, it's a better deal than a console.

So, there I was with a brand new PC, and you know what? I still couldn't even run the games! Our graphics card, which came with our new computer, wasn't compatible. We had to go out and buy a new graphics card, plus a memory stick to up our physical memory so that my character wasn't continuously "skiing" everywhere in the game (I still have problems with Revan and Exile going "skiing" everywhere, but it still isn't as bad as it was!)

That is why you build your own computer :)

And the PC vs Console, in terms of price can be a tricky question. It is true that a console is less expansive then a PC of roughly equal power. The difference is what you can do with it. A PC is much more versatile in this respect. So people who need a strong computer for their work (though it still does depend on what kind of job you have) have a more cost/effective investment in the form of a PC. Even more, you don't have to be pissed off that a game comes out only for a specific console. You just don't care :)

Apart from what other people have said, I find that PCs have a much longer lasting value than consoles. Most of them are popular for a couple years before fading away as an even better one is released. That's only a couple years to enjoy one of them, and subtracting how a lot of my favorite games already exist on PC... There's not much of a selection. All my favorite Xbox games were eventually ported to PC, and the ones that weren't were okay at best. I can't recall any Xbox-exclusive game I played that I really liked.

Right now my Xbox does nothing but gather dust. For $150 I think it was a real waste of money. Pretty much all I got to do was play the KotORs a few months in advance, and waste another $100 on them. And the money I spent getting okay-ish games... That's really an awful lot.

That and you need a TV to use a console, which I think is an even bigger waste of money. Since my PC plays DVDs I'd get nothing out of it except the ability to use a console I already paid hundreds of dollars for...

I don't think there's anything that would make me want to convert from PC. Even if the higher price and lower benefits part could be fixed, (unlikely) I still prefer sitting by a desk to lying on a couch, and I don't like the interface as much.

To be able to browse hot women while playing, simultaneously.

dang! I hadnt thought of that before....

*runs to load NWN2 and www.<dodgy german place>.com, simultaneously*

OT: I'm a pc gamer to be sure, but two things will drive me to purchase a console

1. Bioware

2. Final Fantasy.... FF13 looks delicious on the ps3

Bioware > universe

@ Devon. do you know you can use your xbox as a media center ?? Once an XBMC is setup, you organise and watch mp3s, avis etc all from a HDD, plugged into your tv, and controlled with a media centre remote. some really great skins available for this interface too. My friend couldnt afford to buy or build a media center/home theater pc so we did the conversion on his XB. Its awesome, and relatively cheap :)

mtfbwya :D

The only console I used to have was Sega (Mega Drive), but then again that was before I got my PC. Now, there's no way I'd ever 'convert' into a console player. I don't care what they put in them, to me it's simply a waste of money to buy a console just because of one game.

So if you're a PC-only gamer, or mostly so, what changes would consoles need to undergo in order to grab your interest and make you want to play on a console? I'm hoping for some open-minded responses, not just "Consoles suck! PC rules! I'll never give up my PC." :)

I'm cheap. I can't afford to go through new games often, so I mod the ones i have to hell and back. It also gives me great views of how it's constructed, why it's constructed that way.

That being said, I have a PS2 for the games that just can't go to a PC (Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts).

Archived