Home

Global warming hysteria

Dagobahn Eagle

Well, it's too expensive to change. Why change if there is no short-term benieft...or even long-term benieft? You just waste valuable resources that could be used for increasing the quality of life.

Well, that's our problem money, our strong concern for money is going equal the death of our species one day.

If we don't do nothing about global warming our species will be the next extinction event on this planet.

But, that's not going to happen, and global warming isn't that bad, relatively, so, why bother?

Well, for people who still feel that way.

Imagine dwelling in ice caves, prospering in endless deadly, severely cold winters and traveling on frozen lakes for centuries to come, if the shutdown of Thermohaline circulation take's place by the influence of freshwater melting from glaciers, that is being caused by global warming.

This result can possibly cause a Little Ice Age or another Younger Dryas event to occur in the Northern Hemisphere, if nothing is done about this crisis.

Now, if that don't convince the doubters, then they should prepare for centuries of the winter season by taking up residence in Antarctica for a couple years. :lol:

A link to a Study that Confirms Mechanism for Thermohaline Current Shutdown

I'm sure the IPCC must have taken that into consideration. To overlook something like that just sounds too stupid.

I've seen plenty of stupid stuff that should have been horrendously obvious that the researchers overlooked. The recent Harvard prayer study was a great example. The findings said that the control group that didn't receive prayer did better after heart surgery than those who did receive prayer from the study. Well, 97% of the people in the control group that didn't receive any study-sponsored prayer received prayer from _outside_ sources, and 95% of the 'prayer group' received outside prayer as well as study-sponsored prayer. It was a major design flaw that should have been obvious to people as brilliant as Harvard researchers.

First of all, let me say that yes, I accept that global warming is real, dangerous, and man-made. But I'm growing more and more wary of how people communicate this fact. Environmentalists are starting to sound like the Neo-conservatives in the US after 9/11, screaming that in order to kill Usama, Americans had to maim their democracy.

I'm all for drastic, major measures global warming. I'm very opposed, generally, to fear mongering - in any context. Liberals were, and are, highly opposed to using fear as a tactic in the War on Terror. Many atheists are very opposed to Christians who scare each others into staying Christian by telling them about Hell. Why, then, do the same people support using fear in the War on Global Warming?

Is fear a necessary strategy? Or does it do more harm than good? Discuss.

Addenda:
This thread is not for debating whether or not global warming is real, man-made, or dangerous.

My only fear comes from a real threat. I think we have to take drastic and responsible steps to prolong a natural and clean environment. Yes, I am a Christian. However, not every single Christian shares the same interpretation of the bible or life. I personally believe that there is a real threat, which comes from inaction. Even if Global Warming is not as serious as we are told, I think we would be only fools to not take steps in maintaining our environment.

I am also worried that we have a Zor'El. What I mean about this is that: Someone is telling us the seriousness of what is happening to the Earth, and everyone else is saying he/she is insane. After years of telling everyone that he/she is crying wolf, the world actually does have serious problems. It turns out that we could have stopped this whole damn thing years ago, but we were conducting too many debates to actually notice. Once people start dying from serious sun cancer, the government will finally say, "We should have listened." A few days latter, the Earth boils from being scortched from the sun.

Fear. We don't need fear. Fear causes people to act irrational. Also, mankind has to do something about the problem, not because they fear what's gonna happen, but because they understand what will happen otherwise. People must know and care about that their actions are connected to what will happen. It's like I don't brush my teeth because I fear the dentist, I brush my teeth because I need them.

The only thing to get the message across is to achieve understanding for the problem, not blind fear of it. Because actually, this planet's days are numbered already. And I reckon the days this planet allows us to stay are less than half of those.

It's up to us what we gonna do. Everyone can do simple things which are, regardless of what will really happen in the end, rational, reasonable, and *good* things to do, like saving energy and resources, and try to minimise pollution or waste.

What are all these folks waiting for? That someone says "don't pollute our air, or you will die because of global warming" one day? Why is it so hard to understand that it is a good idea to be careful with our environment anyway?

Archived