Home

Future Plans for OJP Basic

What should we do about OJP Basic?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do about OJP Basic?

• Continue full support.
    • Continue code updates but don't bother with releases.
    • Drop it entirely.

What do we want to do about OJP Basic? It's been a long time since I've released an update and I'm not sure it's worth the hassle anymore. As far as I can remember, OJP Basic was only used on one or two servers.

Personally, I think we should continue to update it's code base and documentation as basejka fixes are done, but beyond that, I don't think we need to do releases anymore. Doing releases is time consuming and I think the time could be better spent working on more bugfixes and stuff for Enhanced.

So, what should we do?

OJP Basic is one of the most frequently used modbases out there for JKA. There aren't many mods that ARE NOT based upon it. And to be fair, not doing so would be a large mistake.

OJP Basic is what base players play when they want their playing style to remain the same but still have the bugfixes and repairs that every high death ratio player longs for. HOWEVER, my heart lies with OJPEnhanced. The spirit of this mod is insane (lol high mana/hp regen) and there is nothing like it out there. With a few changes OJPenhanced could easily be released as it's own game if Razor wanted too.

Even though the JKA engine is not as newfangled or kvlt as some other engines, and even though I can't use a gravity gun to shoot a toilet seat at zombies, magically this mod still remains at the top of my list.

For Enhanced to really spring out we'll need 110% commitment from everyone, and with OJPBasic constantly nagging you in the back of your head I'd be surprised to see anyone be able to work stresslessly.

I have to say that I'd not heard of OJP Basic till playing around with OJP Enhanced. I checked it out, and on first impressions didn't seem all that different from the original game.

I'm still a bit confused as to the prime function of Basic. Read that it was for people who wanted an improvement over the original, but not a complete change.

My opinion...go with the greater revolution :nod:

The way I see it; you can either play JKA in its original state, or move on experiment and evolve. If I were to now generalise the last statement ask yourself which would reap the greater rewards :yoda3

--Peace--

• 6 months later...

Well Aussie Siege server will continue to run Basic ,because, of the Ability of the botts to play siege and the fact that any one can join it, even if they dont have the mod. Granted the modd is already great the way it is but it could do with 1 more release to fix a couple of security bugs.

We also link to OJP enhanced in Aussie forum and recommend to players that they take a look at OJP enhanced.

Running Basic on siege is actually commical at times , many is the time when you hear,

"WTF A godamm bott just owned me, and took the blue crystal."

The utter surprise players get when they see the Botts actually achieving objectives,

and really playing siege, as opposed to jumping in the nearest lava pit, really does generate interest in OJP.

Aussie server is rarley empty and is getting quite popular, we intend to keep it going,

"finances allowing" At the moment we have a 12 slott server rented but may increase the slot number in the future.

We thank all of you here for your work in both Basic and enhanced, and will support your work in any way that we can.

Regards DDROM

Archived