Home

Thoughts of mine

I know what you’re thinking: hell, here we go again, ANOTHER goldarn KotOR III idea.

Well yeah, that’s what this is, but I’m not trying to present it as a half-baked wishlist. Quite obviously Lucas isn’t going to use it for the new KotOR III, but you might as well go ahead and read it anyway just for the entertainment value.

Knights of the Old Republic III: Mystery of the Unknown

or something of that vein - it doesn't matter for now

'A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...'

So the text crawl arrives on screen, giving us a brief outline of what's been happening to the galaxy in the now 6 years since Revan’s been away. We learn that the Republic is slowly rebuilding and fortifying itself against invaders, but is still beset by corruption and strife yaddayaddayadda and that a ‘force’ (as in army, not the Force) is slowly building in the Unknown Regions, led by and made up of parties unknown. At that time, a Republic Senator who had gone missing for a couple of (Galactic Standard) years turns up on the fringes of Republic Space and desperately attempts to contact the closest Republic planet. However, as soon as the ship drops out of hyperspace, it is beset on by – for want of a better word – pirates.

Needless to say, that senator is you.

First things to do upon entering the game: repel the invaders! Though you’re on your own, this is only a tutorial section and shouldn’t be too taxing. It should be somewhat different to the Endar Spire because a) you’re the only person on it and b) these ain’t no Sith. So you succeed in sending out a distress signal and fending off the boarders but at the cost of a nasty bash on the head and unconsciousness.

You awaken several days later in a medical facility on this Republic planet’s surface to see a young guard at your bedside. She tells you about your rather nasty bash on the head and the fact that the ship you came in on (Edit: the Ebon Hawk, if you must) is currently under the protection of the planetary administrator – who, supposedly, is an ‘old friend of yours’ who immediately recognised you and sent a message to Coruscant to inform them of your return. She also says that she’s got a ‘funny sense of déjà-vu about this’ (referring in a way to the fact that both previous KotOR characters also woke up several days after a battle on a ship with a nasty blow to the head). It seems that your memory has suffered; but not to the point of Revan’s total amnesia – you’re simply a bit confused, and can’t seem to remember the reason why you had to make contact with the Republic. Your nice friendly guard – an intelligent young woman in his twenties – then decides to quiz you on Galactic events to see how you’re holding up, and she’s happy at what you know (as obviously you as the player makes the decisions regarding Revan and the Exile’s gender and alignment).

So it unfolds from here. This is your first planet, your Peragus II or Taris if you wish; a planet that hasn’t previously appeared in the Star Wars Universe. It’s a nice, fairly well developed planet with enough green bits to qualify as ‘temperate’, and buildings that resemble the Burj al-Arab Hotel in Dubai; so not exactly a backwater, but no Coruscant either. Obviously we’ve got some nice sub-quests and plot details, such as the fact that the corrupt administrator is in league with 'dark forces' and was hoping to sell you over to his ‘contacts’ who want to extract that message – which you’ve unfortunately forgotten. This guard is pretty much your Carth Onasi or Atton Rand (except female, because otherwise we’ll have one too many Star Wars male pilots in their 30's), a somewhat loyal companion who helps you through the planet. Even after the administrator tries to capture you with all the forces at his disposal, this lass decides to stick with you; realising that everyone else around here is corrupt. As you’ll reveal to various characters throughout your journey, you’re force sensitive but was never picked up by the Jedi, instead becoming a Republic officer during the Jedi Civil War and, having picked up a mysterious holocron from a defeated Jedi, become a wee bit of a force user. Whether you used it to do good and help people or bad and help your career is up to you. In any case, you eventually landed yourself the position of senator shortly after the Jedi Civil War. But enough of that for the moment.

You slash, bash and Force-fry your way through a heap of baddies, on the way remembering the fact (but not all the details – they’ll follow later) that it was Revan him/herself who sent you on an urgent mission to tell the Republic about these 'forces' in the Unknown Regions. You stumble into a few other party members on this planet to bolster your forces – a generally new cast which (thanks to the guys below persuading me) still includes HK-47 and T3-M4 – who will all play a part in completing the first planet by killing the administrator and fleeing as fast as possible in the Ebon Hawk (I'm still not sure about this *grumblegrumble*) to planet two - which I think I’d like to be…

Coruscant!

I’ll update soon with some more of all that mysterious storyline stuff I haven't told you about and the bagful of ideas I’ve got rattling around up here.

In any case, feel free to heckle me or throw some thoughts into the pot.

I don't think I like the term 'True Sith': it creates the impression that all other Sith are 'False Sith', which is simply ridiculous. But I guess that yes, in a way, it is them. However, they will have to be expanded on somewhat and not just a reference from Kreia

As for the senator; well I don't feel that one has to be something 'special' with insane power to defeat an opponent, though I can say that this one will be somewhat of a Jedi Master. The better characters are those who are more human than god, and they tend to make a story more interesting. Which is why I like Zayne Carrick.

The Force isn't everything, y'know.

I really like this KotOR idea, EXCEPT with not havign T3 or the Ebon Hawk. I mean, these two things are the main thing that connects the three games together, right?

And HK-47 has to be there too! It isn't KotOR without HK and T3...they're like KotOR's version of C-3PO and R2-D2. :)

I really like this KotOR idea, EXCEPT with not having T3 or the Ebon Hawk. I mean, these two things are the main thing that connects the three games together, right?

And HK-47 has to be there too! It isn't KotOR without HK and T3...they're like KotOR's version of C-3PO and R2-D2.

Well, don't think I haven't thought about the Ebon Hawk, HK and T3-M4. It's just the simple fact that I wouldn't want them to be 'overused' as such. They've appeared in the previous two games, which is good for continuity, but once you've had characters by your side for well over 80 hours of gameplay they can get a bit old hat if you know what I mean.

It's simply that the two droids don't seem to show potential for further character development. They're droids - though their programming is susceptable to change as they get older they still remain with pretty much an identical personality (no real light or dark side shifts) and since we've had these two for so long we've probably already heard everything interesting that they've had to say.

Nevertheless, I can see what you mean. I guess this may be all down to the fact that I just don't really like droids; especially whistling floor polishers. But the Ebon Hawk will always have a place in my heart. The fans, I suppose, would probably like to see it return, though I expect it will need a few minor improvements and functions to keep it feeling new - such as a new paint job and interior doodads.

I'll put those three back into my idea to keep you happy, though people should feel free to raise the point again for future discussion. I'll continue my idea in a while.

I don't think I like the term 'True Sith': it creates the impression that all other Sith are 'False Sith', which is simply ridiculous!

Agreed! To be honest I didn't take any notice of Kreia when she was babbling on about them in TSL, then it seems that it's written in stone that there the centre of any possible sequal?

back to thread, Nice story! I don't mind being a senator as long as I've got a lightsaber and I can kill people with my mind! :D

Thank you.

But yes, it does seem that if KotOR III is ever made that this ‘True Sith Empire’ will have to be the focus of the game. So just before I continue with my idea, I’ll talk about what I think they should be like…

If we’re dealing with the term ‘True Sith’ here, we’re dealing with the epitome of evil, something which Star Wars lacks as it has some actually rather likeable Sith Lords, like Kreia. The True Sith would have to be the ultimate scum of the dark side – every soldier an irredeemable monster who wouldn’t bat an eyelid at the most hideous of atrocities and views Hell as a children’s playground. Malak’s ‘Sith Empire’ will look tame in comparison. Well, at least they had some semblance of humanity – a Sith officer even invited Revan to a house party! Some even defended them, stating that they were almost the same as Jedi… just a bit more Machiavellian. Even the original Sith species didn’t consider themselves evil; they actually just had a rather Mandalorian philosophy on how life worked.

With these thoughts in mind, it is perfectly understandable that Revan was supposedly so determined to stop them, light side or not.

Hmmm… my brain’s dried up a bit right now. But I promise, in the next post I’ll continue with my idea.

Archived