Home

Rundown of OJP 009v's pre-release tests (READ FOR GR8 JUSTICE!)

Getting better... much better!

OJP is starting to shape up and give me those tingles again I haven't felt for a few of the recent 009 releases. The whole thing seems so much more streamlined and the feel of the new and improved systems is totally right if you ask me.

I'll try to do this as so:

Pros:

-Excellent feel to the game, it already feels very professional.

-The music is terrific.

-The new profile GUI looks mighty fine and I think the crew (especially bjusterbaarlik) deserve a nice round of applause. It totally fits OJP just like the music score.

-The new saber style selection is awesome, and with proper tweaks can become the single most awesome thing in OJP (next to myself ofcourse .........................:p).

-The clone rifle's new changes really fit it well and the thing is actually fun to play with now, kudos.

-Deflection rates have finally been fxed and are pretty realistic righ tnow, I am very satisfied!

-The new changes to mishap are totally awesome and really bring more of an importance to the mishap bar in general, it was a bit ignored in the past because it moved either too slow or too fast. Perfect.

-The new changes to parrying (comboes and defense getting more time) are great, bring nice rhythm into the saberplay.

I could keep going on like this but I'll have to start the cons of 009v because the guys are waiting for me to start the damn game already, so here goes.

Just a few things I'd like to mention that bother me, this is not criticism or anything of the likes. But you know me, always something to whine about ;P.

Cons:

-The 'feel' of when you get deflected is kind of off. It's like there is no difference between deflecting and running, the only indicator you have that tells you you're deflecting is your DP meter slowly dropping. I don't see any valuable advice to give on how to fix this though. (blaster bolt)

-The transitions/spin animation speed changes make some spins look really damn unrealistic. I'm going to be changing them (still according to Razor Ace's endlosung) to make them seem more realistic for my own game and I'll discuss whatever I end up with with razor since I really don't like some of the transitions right now.

-Jump height.

-Fuel should not regen or should regen really slowly, or there should be a defined amount of fuel needed to use the flamethrower.

-Shots should take only one or two shots to kill someone outside of a dodge or deflection, it's still too easy for jedi to rush through a gunner's defenses.

And yeah that's pretty much it. OJPE is getting it's edges rounded off pretty well in 009v and I think it promises moar in terms of fun and gameplay than any other OJP thus far.

Comments/suggestions/own opinions/reviews go below this line:

-The 'feel' of when you get deflected is kind of off. It's like there is no difference between deflecting and running, the only indicator you have that tells you you're deflecting is your DP meter slowly dropping. I don't see any valuable advice to give on how to fix this though.

Which deflections? For saber or bolt attacks?

-The transitions/spin animation speed changes make some spins look really damn unrealistic. I'm going to be changing them (still according to Razor Ace's endlosung) to make them seem more realistic for my own game and I'll discuss whatever I end up with with razor since I really don't like some of the transitions right now.

Yeah, we probably need a minimum animation time for the sharp spins. maybe .25 secs or something.

- There's a problem with players spawning without their assigned skills. I'm working on that.

- Some LMS problems.

I mean that some are too fast, don't get me wrong. Yellow for example is perfect but Juyo just looks dang nasty.
Yeah, that's what I meant too. Some of them are too fast and need to have minimum animation time that is a bit slower than "the standard".

Cons:

Seekers overpowerd.

Grips wayyyy underpowerd.

Please explain.

Lotsa bugs :p.
bug ticket.

Huh? Grip was nerfed in JA in general?

The only really significant nerf I am aware of is that you're no longer allowed to grip an opponent then duck behind the wall so they can't push or pull you.

There's a lot more checks to be able to start a grip. I think you have to be a certain distance range, looking directly at a the player, etc.

After some more extensive testing today we've found that:

(old edited)

Cons:

-The 'feel' of when you get deflected is kind of off. It's like there is no difference between deflecting and running, the only indicator you have that tells you you're deflecting is your DP meter slowly dropping. I don't see any valuable advice to give on how to fix this though. (blaster bolt)

This could be because the shot actually goes THROUGH you before it gets deflected, how about that saber bounding box for deflection that you were talking about Ace?

I've gotten used to it now and I can't actually complain about it, I think that in heated battles with Force-trained Jedi there will be moments with comboes where they CAN move that fast, so lets leave it in as a feature, not a bug *cough*.

moar:

-Bunnyhopping has to go, just make every landing have a person stop their momentum and acceleration.

-Increase jump height!

Jump 1 --> jump 2 height

Jump 2 --> jump 3 height

Jump 3 --> jump as high as your force allows you.

This is very important for everyone that I've talked to, myself included.

-Some guns really need a secondary fire to make them worth while. E-11 should get a burst shot for example. That or aimed mode :p

-Blob has to go. It's too much of a gamebreaker right now to keep. It is one of the only things right now that can both induce nerd rage and ruin gameplay at the same time.

-Bunnyhopping has to go, just make every landing have a person stop their momentum and acceleration.

I don't know. Its already pretty nerfed with the auto 10 fp cost.

-Increase jump height!

Jump 1 --> jump 2 height

Jump 2 --> jump 3 height

Jump 3 --> jump as high as your force allows you.

I suppose, but that might be over doing it just a bit.

-Some guns really need a secondary fire to make them worth while. E-11 should get a burst shot for example. That or aimed mode

Agreed.

-Blob has to go. It's too much of a gamebreaker right now to keep. It is one of the only things right now that can both induce nerd rage and ruin gameplay at the same time.

Not agreed. The blast radius is now tiny (I cut it in half) and it costs now 40 bullets to fire for a max of 10 shots at level 3 (I raised it). Theres a reason why its 8 8 8. Gunners need a good weapon that can fight a jedi well anyways.

I'd personally still like to see an autothrow thermal detonator button that can be used with guns out. And in come the Halo fans! :p

I suppose, but that might be over doing it just a bit.

I think that the jump hight now is over doing it. I have never seen the Jedi's jumping that high in the movies.

I mean, do you think a Jedi/Sith could really jump from one side of the Deathstar Trench to the other?

Coleman trebor jumped all the way up to the platform where Dooku was standing and it was a good 50 meters up. Obi wan jumped pretty high when he had to rejoin quigon and maul, same for when he jumped out of his ship landing.

Coleman trebor jumped all the way up to the platform where Dooku was standing and it was a good 50 meters up. Obi wan jumped pretty high when he had to rejoin quigon and maul, same for when he jumped out of his ship landing.

Although you will rarely see me saying this, I agree with Max... *whistles*

Also, the jump feeling is poor (this comes with basejka), I think MB improves that when you have jump 3, it really seems you jump, you go way faster in air, dunno if you get what I mean.

Look at how obi wan jumped on the catwalk in ep 1, it took him like 0.5 sec to reach it, in jka, and in OJP as it is now, it would take like 2 sec.

Also the jump sound is... stupid? useless? pointless? I'm for a removal. (Not of jump, of jump sound...)

im still confused as to where to get V.0.9v as the Get OJP Here thread still has V.0.9u

v isn't technically out yet. I'm still working on some issues that need to be resolved first.

However, you can ask one of the test leads for the current beta, which is basically 009v without the needed fixes before public release.

yo ive been with you guys 4 a little while and you guys are GOOD!!! The thing i suggest is do somthing about the saberlocking. Make it so that you could defend youself in a saberlock. i turned g_saberlocking off because i didnt like it lol. it would be cool if u could change this

yo ive been with you guys 4 a little while and you guys are GOOD!!! The thing i suggest is do somthing about the saberlocking. Make it so that you could defend youself in a saberlock. i turned g_saberlocking off because i didnt like it lol. it would be cool if u could change this

We're glad your here. :) You have to parry the power attack in order to stop the saberlock. But don't worry. In 0.0.9v, we've made a "break out of lock" technique that works if you don't have low DP or high mishap.

v isn't technically out yet. I'm still working on some issues that need to be resolved first.

yeah, before v's official release, I think we definitely need to resolve things like the multi-hit lunge and spin attacks, the dodge vulnerability in forceblock, and adding saber style perks so there aren't bubbles on the skill menu for the saber styles that don't do anything :p Also, since you can't block lunge with under 10 FP, the staff and duel spin attacks should be the same way but currently are not. That one's easy and I might just do that myself.

Archived