Home

Runaway and Toonstruck extractor?

jannar85

Hey, I heard John Doe had been working on a Toonstruck extractor or something. Any updates on that? I think it was meant to rip music, backgrounds, animations and stuff.

Also, anyone knows how to extract the music for Runaway 1 and 2? I'd really like to get it, as it's pretty awesome. If not, is there a possibility to make a small application to rip it?

I've been working on and off a Toonstruck-related project for the two last years or so. The main problem with a simple viewer is that the palette for the respective scene background is not just stored but parts seem to be calculated, and if this is skipped the palette is wrong. I still need to implement the algorithm that makes this calculation.

Edit: Forget my blabbering about the palette...I found a way to correcly display background images.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I am writing a tool for extracting stuff from Runaway. Speech extraction already works, now I'm playing a bit with savegames. Next step is music extraction! But I'm a newbie in this field so it's gonna take a little..

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I've made some progress with the extractor.

This is my first gamedata extraction tool, and I find the work an amusing way for training myself!

Currently the tool can do the following things:

- extract speech audio files and save them to WAVs

- extract snapshots from savefiles and save them to BMPs

- extract the chapters snapshots (those you see when you begin the game and decide the chapter to play) and save them to BMPs

I also managed to extract the background music files (they sound sweet) but still have to code that part into the tool. It won't take much since I'll re-use much of the Speech Module. This is the next thing I'm going to do, as soon as I sort out this one:

- how to correctly visualize the snapshots; some of the colors look distorted so I guess I'm missing some sort of palette somewhere. But I can't figure out why they would need a palette when they are 16-bit images.

Any help with this issue would be much appreciated! I think it will be of use when I'll manage to extract backgrounds as well

I don't think they use a palette in Runaway.

How do you handle the background images?

In 16-bit images one word (2 bytes) usually are made up of RGB (565) components, where 5 bits are used for red, 6 bits for green and 5 bits for blue.

You can send me a raw image to john_doe(at)techie.com if you like, I'll have a look at it.

I haven't found out yet how to extract background images, at the moment I'm working with other images (snapshots for savegames and such), but I think it will be the same with backgrounds. Anyway I'll send you a raw image and the respective bmp created by my tool, they're on their way.

Thanks a lot!

I've decided that I'll release separate tools for extracting stuff from the gamedata instead of building a big extractor and work on it forever before releasing a stable version of it. This way people will be able to extract the things they want (e.g. music) without having to wait a huge amount of time only because something is not working properly with, for example, subtitles overriding.

Then when the big part is done, the tools will be merged within a single application (it will be a matter of merging ui's more than other).

At the moment, I'm learning Qt (4.3.0) for the GUI. When I'll be ready for a first release, I will open a sourceforge project page with all the sources and complete documentation. Currently I'm working under Linux so I guess I'll need some time for debugging under WinXP (where I already spotted troubles with read(2)).

I will update the progress here for those of you who are interested in this.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I was just having a look at Toonstruck's PAK archives, and then I tried the unpacker Benjamin Haisch (John Doe?) has at his website, and found some strange results.

I might be wrong (I'm new at this resource-cracking thing), but I found that the size of the result files is exaclty the same number of the offset that points to each file in the resource header. Is this a wonderful coincidence, or maybe there is an error in the unpacker? I'm saying this because I also tried Lebostein's ToonRipper and it works nice with mus and svl files (which are not packed in the .pak resources), but not with .sel files extracted with Haisch's unpacker. Perhaps these files are not being unpacked properly?

Thanks in advance.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone, sorry for hitting and running away for a long long time. I haven't worked on the Runaway extractor that much (I'm focusing on my Master's thesis), but today I decided to release the source and docs of what I made time ago.

Please note that this is "alpha" stuff and is to be taken as a mere example of how to extract things from the Runaway resource files. And consider it as my personal C/C++ and Qt training, not as an official, stable, solid extractor for doing what it is (should be) meant to.

Please focus your attention on the docs/ folder rather than trying to compile the sources and make it run. Inside the package my personal notes of how to extract media files from Runaway are contained. Please eventually look at the code only to favor your understanding on how to do that.

And of course, please consider using my code and my notes if you intend to write your own extractor, but please give me a little credit as a source of inspiration at least. :) I am also willing to help others (with code or "resource hacking") who may consider writing a new extractor.

Also, if I get good and / or constructive responses, I might consider re-starting to work hard on it (or rather, fixing up the code and bring it on). And don't you hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

the link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/runaway-extract/

Cheers

• 1 month later...

hi guys, this is great stuff!

i just have a few questions,

1) is it possible to view the animations?

2) i'd like to help decompile buit where do i start!!! are there any good tutorials around?

thanks guys

i was thinking, have a tick box for playing the content sequentially and continuosly, maybe also having a volume slide if it's no bother

Hello,

What game are you referring to? Toonstruck or Runaway?

Regarding the animations, that's a topic I'm absolutely uneducated about. Don't know even to start. Probably I would start up a disk monitor, discover where the animations are located, and start trying to extract the single sprites - admitting the game resources contain the single sprites for the animations.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi there!

I'm italian, so I apologize for my english. I'm translating Toonstruck in my language, but i have problems with the font (the accented letters). I need to edit the game fonts and I suspect they are stored in one of .caf file, but I don't know how to modify them. Can you help me, please?

Thanks!!

• 1 year later...
Hey, I heard John Doe had been working on a Toonstruck extractor or something. Any updates on that? I think it was meant to rip music, backgrounds, animations and stuff.

Also, anyone knows how to extract the music for Runaway 1 and 2? I'd really like to get it, as it's pretty awesome. If not, is there a possibility to make a small application to rip it?

I'm making a tool to translate the voices of Atlantis to Spanish

I would like to find out if there's already done something about it.

And extract the VOC, also decrypt the text, I only need to link them with voc, use ScummSpeaks v3 but it is not easy to handle and talk and I hear that it falls into one and other facilities such as selecting text from one actor or speaker

As you go with your tool?

I'm making a tool to translate the voices of Atlantis to Spanish

I would like to find out if there's already done something about it.

And extract the VOC, also decrypt the text, I only need to link them with voc, use ScummSpeaks v3 but it is not easy to handle and talk and I hear that it falls into one and other facilities such as selecting text from one actor or speaker

As you go with your tool?

I'm the developer of ScummSpeaks, what troubles are you having?

ScummSpeaks v3 doesn't support original VOC files (partially because the specific VOC format used has poor support in modern tools), so you need to compress the MONSTER.SOU file with the ScummVM tools. Here's what I suggest you try.

• Compress the "MONSTER.SOU" file in your Atlantis directory.
  • In ScummSpeaks, extract the text from Atlantis (there's an option under "Tools")
  • Create a new "Speech Map". Point to the new MONSTER.SO3/SOG/SOF file you created in the first step, and the text file you created in the second step.
  • Save the speech map XML file somewhere
  • Export all the game sounds to a directory
  • Replace each exported sound file as you like
  • When finished replacing files, go back to ScummSpeaks, and do "Import Sounds"
  • Save the speech map again
  • Do "Export to Game Resources"
  • Import the new text file back into the game (again, there's an option under "tools")

Feel free to contact me for any further help with ScummSpeaks. But I won't be offended if you decide to use something else ;)

EDIT: Sorry, just realised this is completely unrelated to the topic.

Archived