Home

Thru rose colored glasses?

torak101

I ran across this vid on another forum the other day. I thought it was interesting in the sense that it reminded me of just how many issues SWG had in the past. :wid:

I"m not trying to troll the old version but honestly looking at were it was when it started compared to what its like now.

Being there briefly at the begining and a few stop inbetween then and now, its my personal opinion that the game is were it probably should have been when it launched 4 years ago. :swear:

It had its good points in the past but it definately had some issues.

Anyway, watch, enjoy, laugh or cry. :lsduel:

Feel free to discuse, like I said, I'm not trolling a reaction but interested in impressions from this video. I pretty much agree with the review having been one of those goons running across the landscape at one point. and the grind.........oh the horrid grind.........made Lineage 2 look like WoW........ :fire2:

Old SWG review at launch

Ah, I remeber the run to Wayfar from Anchorhead quest from the early days. All that running for what? 200 credits? Yeah really innovative there :rolleyes:.

The review pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Pretty much every review from the get go gave it a mediocre score and mentioned some of the same issues from the video. It won Coaster of the Year from Computer Gaming World magazine not once, but twice (2003 and 2006) and SWG Smugglers were listed in the "Top 20 Gaming Lows of 2004". I mean two such distinctive awards less than a year after launch should have been an indication right from the get go.

I mean for such a huge IP and a sure cash cow, SWG never really delivered. It seemed lost in trying to establish an identity an cater to a crowd it never had. Pikeman? Swordsman? Teri Kasi? Why were these the most powerful professions in game? For that matter why where they there to begin with? To draw in the EQ/fantasy crowd? Combat should have been centered on what the movies and the lore centered it on, guns...and the bigger the better. JTL should have been a huge leap forward for combat and in game battles. Instead of jumping in your xwing and zoooming off to fight the imperial hordes, instead find yourself out grinding tier 4's and 5's for that magic numbered ship part that you need. PVP turned into who can loop better and shoot first. Battles ended quickly yet took forever to set up.

One major issue that is it has lacked from day 1 is consequences. If I was Imperial and led a group of personnel into a pure Rebel town, taking it over, there was no reprocussion for the Rebel. They would either 1) Try and take over, then leave if failed or 2) Wait till we logged off then simply walked back in. there was no penalty for doing nothing as an Imperial or Rebel if either side was attacked. I was simply a different faction, nothing more nothing less.

I didn't play the game very long back then. It left a horrid impression on me back then. I was up to my chin in DAoC at the time taking castles and doing relic raids. I only tried it because a RL friend was playing and wanted me to check it out. I was like "WTF is this garbage, Come play DAoC instead....which he did lol". We ended up building an awesome guild and had a great run for about a year in DAoC with a bunch of friends. Ah the good old days.

Bah, I dont rely on them to rate swg. They are after "iconic" be a "hero" and feel important. Its a MMO not everyone is important. I rather be a "Uncle Owen" instead of a "Luke".

Just my 2cents.

But this wasn't a NGE review, it was June '03, 3 years before "iconic" was even coined. It showed SWG for what it was then, a big time grind fest which alot of folks were getting tired of seeing. Of all the big name IP's on a MMO Star Wars should have been insta-cash cow. It wasn't. You may have wanted to have been "Uncle Owen" but as the hologrind, Jedi revamp(s) and profession grind to unlock once the unlock secret was out....ALOT more wanted to be "Luke".

Guest DarthMaulUK

Its a rubbish review - really. Yes, some parts were tedious. Although in the movies, we dont see the traders that much, but they ARE there, and the same goes for Galaxies. It catered for those who wanted to battle and for those who wanted to be creative.

He also forgets to mention the enormous pvp battles that would rage between Anchorhead and Bestine daily with hundreds locked in combat. It was brilliant!

Archived