Home

Should OJP Enhanced Include Maps, Models, and Hilts?

Should OJP Enhanced include Maps, Models, and Hilts?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should OJP Enhanced include Maps, Models, and Hilts?

Since OJP Enhanced requires a download for the client anyway, should we maybe include some quality maps, models, and hilts to give OJP Enhanced a visual edge over basejka?

And if so, should we have a certain theme or just things we like (like the betatester's preferred playermodels)?

Finally, if we go ahead and do this, I'm going to need a volunteer who will figure out which things should be included and get permission from the original authors. (I can handle making them a part of the repository/OJP install file).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes.

People that are voting "No" most likely are in it to use it as their own platform, when all of us do all the hard work. Much harder to wipe off a theme, maps and models than it is to just jump right in with JKA++++++.

I'm voting yes since I still think OJP can do a lot better if there were a common theme and CONTROLLED fights.

LOL who are these "no" guys? I want to know why they vote no.

Right now OJP is a collection of innovative systems. We need something to tie it all together and make it truly distinct - gameplay, visual, audio, everything. We have interested mappers, we have interested modelers, I think they're ready to jump in and help develop NEW things exclusively for OJP (thrillhouse is on the ball already). I say we stick to a common theme.

Don't include extra stuff unless your team is making it themselves. People can easily download the other content, and it won't inflate the size of your downloads. Plus it keeps you from 'stealing' downloads from those modders. It doesn't really make sense to include such content unless some kind of compatibility needs to happen, and I take it that's not the case.

I agree with Inyri: why don't we have a list of recommended mods to use with OJP instead? I for one don't like to use others' work just for the sake of convenience. Besides, it'll unnecessarily bloat up the size of the download. So, instead of packaging others' maps/models together, why don't we just have jot down a separate list of good maps/models to use with OJP, and stick this list up in the website and the ojpenhanced's docs folder?

Yes because nowadays, people love mods which give you models and maps, they mainly look at that (look at kotf's success... because it's a model pack).

Although it needs a theme not to be messy, but I don't know what kind of theme yet.

I think that Hapslash and VM models should be included for sure, for their high quality (the best models I've ever seen).

Well I've got permission for LDJ's maps, omeewan's high quality SW models, War_shark's DE-10 blaster pistol and some other stuff I forgot.

I think we should just pick a ******** theme and get maps and models from that theme. The most important part of a theme for me is that we won't have dooku + blob rifle + jetpack vs Luke + disruptor + forcefield, which is too basish for me to enjoy.

Lathain is right here. I have the JK2 maps ripped with textures and all into one big file in my ojpenhanced folder and sometimes I play them on coop to see how far I can get without crashing. Well some of them won't load but you can play others to the end pretty much! It's a shame that others won't download it. Cairn_bay is an excellent dueling spot if anything. *JO flashback*

As a theme, maybe we should go for providing the maps for all the personal duels that have occurred in the movies (Obi/Qui-Gon vs Maul, Dooku vs Yoda, etc). That would limit the scope a bit and empasize the saber combat.

After that, I think we could add additional items in phases based on theme. For example, we could add in the jk2 maps and models with a map pack or maybe as part of a new release or something.

What do you guys think?

I personally think that Team FFA/CTF seems to be the gametype of choice for the betatesting guys. The saber combat should be emphasized upon but only after secure and completely balance out the gunner/hybrid vs Jedi combat. I think we can do this by disallowing either jump or absorb from their repertoire or penalizing gunners for taking jedi powers and vice versa. Other than that the jetpack needs to be tweaked but this was already clear.

I don't know about the theme and stuff. I'd like to see maximum customizability but still maintain some realism in there. Not planning on expressing my thoughts just yet since I still feel we should concentrate on other things for now.

Pretty dumb reason seeing how MBII has been doing it like this for years and they have no trouble at all. It can either be everything together, or we could put all the hilts, maps and models in different, simple PK3's that are downloadable from the same source.

If we put them with OJP they get installed with the installer.

Yes, for a couple of reasons:

1) Base maps are just old. After 3 years (I got the game late), I'm just plain bored with the standard maps (even the bonus pack)...especially CTF Hoth!

2) I find a server but I don't have the map so I switch off full screen mode, so I can toggle to my web browser and I find a pen to write down the web site (or map name) then I toggle out of the game and do an online search so I can find the server's web site, download the map, and place the .pk3 into my base file and then I restart the game to load the map and go back and find the server I was playing on and finally, 10-15 minutes later I discover I really don't like this server's rules so I go find another server but I don't have the map so I....(I think you get the idea!).

3) You can make the maps TABBot friendly to show off the improved AI

I would say 1-2 maps of each gametype (CTF/CTY; FFA/TFFA/JM; Duel); 30-40 MB maximum. Hilts optional. Don't bother with models.

Archived