Home

Should OJP Enhanced Include Maps, Models, and Hilts?

Should OJP Enhanced include Maps, Models, and Hilts?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should OJP Enhanced include Maps, Models, and Hilts?

It's probably easier than a no-CD crack and nowhere near as dubious in legality...

Of course it's beyond MY skill. That said, I truly think it's worth looking into. I think it'd be awesome if one day you came up and said "Now all JO models have perfect compatibility with JA'.

I can dream I guess!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the addition of maps primarily would be good for OJP. Currently, my map of choice is the JKA duel map, Taspir Landing. Has that decent sized, arena type layout, with appropriately placed artifacts; eg: loading crates.

The issue of type of maps in relation to the game-types were also raised. I personally see OJP as more of a FFA mod. Rarely have I ever played CTF, or Seige. I prefer UT99 in that aspect :p

However, once the saberists/gunners balance issues have been sorted, I can see both game-types taking off in a big way.

Presently, I think a good start would be a few custom OJP FFA maps.

I first thought OJP was a duel mode, because of the amazingly pawnage saber system. But after I played with Max and the other regulars on his server, I think that not only duel is good, but FFA and TFFA too. To be honest, OJP's future is in the last man standing feature, combined with FFA or TFFA, maybe CTF. Of course, duel will always remain a very good choice to play with the saber system.

That's my point of view, and I don't really like the UT style (join, kill kill kill die kill die kill kill leave, bored of game, quit) because it has a too short life span, to me, a good game lasts years before being bored, which means hundreds and hundreds of playing, if not thousands.

That's my point of view, and I don't really like the UT style (join, kill kill kill die kill die kill kill leave, bored of game, quit) because it has a too short life span, to me, a good game lasts years before being bored, which means hundreds and hundreds of playing, if not thousands.

Hehe !! I, partly, agree with regards to UT. It is fast paced, and spammy to some degree.

UT99, however, can claim longevity. Almost 10 yrs since its first release and still has a significant fan and player base. Obviously UT has something in order for peoples to stick with it for so long.

I can see potential in a LMS/FFA hybrid as you say. If I were to add to this idea, I'd have it so a player would start in a normal duel situation. Difference would be after each win the player would grow stronger in force powers and more resilient. Progressively, this same player would then have to face multiple opponents...similar to a power dual situation. Two at first of varying skills, then three, four...etc, balanced by the fact that the player has acquired increases in health, force, and weaponry skills.

This would also utilise the makashii saber style more as I think its supposed to be effective against multiple opponents. May also mean some tweaks or additions to saber anims for this purpose. Who knows...maybe in version 0.1.1 :haw:

Throw in a few rewards gimmicks like claiming lightsabers and have it announced.

Suitable maps could range from medium like Bespin Streets, to the fairly large like...The Jedi Academy. Or for the more confrontational, keep it to the small maps like the default duel maps.

What say everybody else...??

I agree with the idea of adding maps and playermodels but can we keep within the limits of star wars related or at least Sci Fi as I have always felt JA+'s swords were slightly random (one of the many reasons I never really got into that mod)

Interesting idea Selexel, this could be a new gametype where the best player has to fight the others, much like Jedi master, except everyone has the skills they want. And when more people are in game, it's the 2 best who fight the other, and even more players, the 3 best vs the other...

Like...

1v4 max

then its 2v9 max

then its 3v14 max

then its 4v19 max

And when more people are in game, it's the 2 best who fight the other, and even more players, the 3 best vs the other...

Like...

1v4 max

then its 2v9 max

then its 3v14 max

then its 4v19 max

Yup...exactly what I mean !! Could also implement some kind of stats system where; for example, a 1v4 situation is too much. On the next turn, stats ( or the force...however you want it ) may determine that you're not strong enough to take on 4 so you will face 3 or 2 opponents instead.

To elaborate further on the actual approach to gameplay...would you prefer a 2v9 situation, where the 2 spawn at different locations, and likewise with the 9 opponents ?? Should they all spawn simultaneously or after timed intervals ?? eg, one opponent per minute.

Such an approach would require a large sized map imo. Could be all outdoor, or a large building. This could enable players to spread their enemies and use guerella tactics, like setting trip mines in hidden spots, sniper nests, etc...

If jedi senses they're in danger, implement a feature I'd call ' jedi sense danger ' or something. When this is activated, fellow jedi will see a flash of the location on radar and rush to help. Limit the number of times it can be used obviously.

Actually what comes to mind is the scene in Episode III, after The Emperor issues order 66. Obi Wan and Yoda, after surviving the the attempt on their lives, go to the Jedi Temple and fight off a load of clone troopers.

The other approach would be totally confrontational. Literally 2 Jedi Masters against 9 Sith adepts or whatever side of the force comforts the individual. A medium to small sized map. This would probably mean several or more opponents on one. It'll probably force more skillfull uses of lightsabers and its various styles, along with force powers. A typical tactic would be a jedi taking on a sith opponent.

- Jedi senses or sees another sith coming to join the battle.

- This sith is approaching from the side or behind.

- Jedi isn't able to dispatch their current foe, so force push to temporarily

incapacitate the sith, and moves to counter the other sith.

From here on it'll be a battle of wits as well as saber skills. Jedi will be balancing defensive and offensive moves, looking for an opening. Siths, who will not be as powerful and only subject to one saber style will be dancing around trying to pick at the jedi DP and raise mishap.

Think end of Episode II, begining of Episode III - Count Dooku vs Obi Wan and Anakin Skywalker.

Obviously I wouldn't expect all this to happen anytime soon if at all. These are just ideas I've had swimming around.

Forgiveness if I've rambled on too much, but I thought it best to write all this at the timely hour of 4am before I forget :p

The SBD is actually a vehicle in wich you're forced to spawn in. So it has a different skeleton which mean custom animations made by the author.

Thats the deka your thinking of. The SBD uses the _humanoid. Animation problems are always due to the mod not loading the _humanoid gla/cfg correctly.

Yeah, I hate it when that happens. JKA+ installs its animation file into the base folder and sometimes screws things up. *shakes fist*

Same with MB2. It's because loading the mod in certain ways causes it to ignore the _humanoid if it's in the mod folder.

Keshire, from what I've seen, I've only see it not load when:

1. The mod is loaded from the mod menu.

2. The mod is loaded by entering a moded server when the player is running basejka.

In both cases, this isn't a problem for OJP E or MB2 because our mods have different network protocalls that make the game crash if the mod isn't started properly anyway.

My solution has been to just remove OJP E from the buggy mod menu and just have our installer create a link for properly starting up the mod. I think it's worked pretty well for us so far. :)

• 7 months later...

Archived