Home

Fallout 3

Sabretooth

Who else is rooting for Fallout 3? I'm thinking it's gonna be one hell of an awesome game, especially since Bethesda is developing it. Check out the concept art at the game's site . It's looking awesome.

I've played Fallout 1 and 2, but never completed them, I'm afraid. They were real fun games, but I just got bored with them because they were really old. Still, it was awesome to play an RPG in semi-modern/sci-fi setting.

The game's site says that the teaser will be out tomorrow. I'm starting to wet my pants here.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's hope that it ain't gonna be an Oblivion clone..

- Ghost Down

That is exactly what I am a afraid it will be. After reading what the developers have stated. For one thing they have stated that the game will no longer carry the M rating. Instead they are going for a T rating so as sell more games on the consoles. The fact they they are even making this game for the Xbox360 highly irritates me. They have already said they won't do the game in the isometric view. Which is ok if they went with the style used in NWN2 but that won't happen either. :mad::(

I liked the teaser, and thats really the only real info about the game that it is, the teaser is also made by the game engine Fallout3 will use. Now when they have gave us the teaser they will probaly start to give us some more info

• 2 months later...

Sadly the more i read of the game, the more i reliease how much Betheseda will screw it up. It will maybe be a good game, but It won't be a true Fallout game.

Like taking some exampels, and this is just some of the things in a long line

There wont be any negative effects, and you can get addictive to drugs. But they will still have drugs like Jet in the game... Half the story line of New Reno/Reddings is how bad effect the Jet drug have on people and how addictive it is, and now they just throw that away. Great job

There won't be any prostitute, or anythings like that. This also effected the story line in the earlier ones, how hard is it to have a fade to black screen like in Fable and some other games ?

And the last thing im gonna write, no child killing, but there will be children in the game, wtf ? So we will have imortal children running around ?

Like i said, this is just some of the thing the change and for some people it maybe ain't a problem that they take some of theses things away, but i think it is. It's the details in the earlier Fallout games that make them so great, that i still do a rerun on them from time to time

Like i said, this is just some of the thing the change and for some people it maybe ain't a problem that they take some of theses things away, but i think it is. It's the details in the earlier Fallout games that make them so great, that i still do a rerun on them from time to time

Seems like game developers have to be a lot more careful what they put in their games nowadays compared to 10 years ago. Sexual themes, drugs and violence against children and the like is something they apparently need to tip-toe around. (Like how Bethesda had to censor the content of some in-game books in Morrowind from their original version in earlier TES games :)) Curiously some other fairly nasty themes are apparently OK though (like excessive blood and gore in some action games, the Dark Brotherhood quest line in Oblivion etc)

I guess this comes from games being more in the spotlight nowadays, being credited by some as the source of all evils in western society (even though you can usually see much worse than what most games contain every day on TV in your average thriller/drama/action movie).

^^^^

sounds to me like your nitpicking at the really fine details. unless the devs are going to significantly alter the gameplay (which might occur), then i can understand getting a bit concerned. otherwise, messing with the fine details isn't going to make a really major difference on anything. ;)

as for me, this is one game that i'm really looking forward to, and i'm glad that the release date isn't set till next year. this year's fall lineup is way too crowded. :)

So changing the hole battlesystem aint significantly alter the gameplay ? :)

And like i said, IMO and i know many more that think this, is the details that makes the game.

And stoffe i agree it's really weird, if you do a Computer Game Vs TV/Movies, things that don't make you raise a eyebrow if it's on TV, start so big debates if the same things happens in a game.

I really don't think Betheseda is in lack of better words, matured enough to do a sequence to the Fallout serie. It would have been another thing if they just setted the game in the Fallout universe like BoS is, just that little thing makes a huge diffrente, But by naming it Fallout 3, they set a bar.

And one more thing, they have been releasing "Inside the Vault" interviews with some of the members, and like half of them havent played the earlier Fallout games, some did it after they started to work with Fallout3 :/

Actually, one of the things that appealed to me when I played the first two Fallouts was the grim sarcasm that lay just beneath the surface. Even when the game tried to be serious, you could just sense a dark, disturbed joke underneath it all.

Fallout was also artistically impressive because it melded the post-apocalyptic and post-WW2/Cold War genres together with the right dose of reality. I mean, prostitutes, drugs, booze, killing - it's just there in reality. The problem is that games have made it to mainstream entertainment and now they don't want any of that here.

If you ask me, it is with this flavour alone that a Fallout game can be made. You really aren't making Fallout if you don't have the black comedy, the very Fallout-ness present in the earlier games. Bethesda is taking a big risk and the more I learn about this game, the more a sinking feeling appears in my heart.

• 7 months later...

*blows off dust*

Source

We have some new pictures of Fallout 3 out. I'm quite impressed with Bethesda's art direction, even if I'm not that fond of their use of lighting. Maybe it's just me but this shot seems to miss out on the perfect opportunity to use some pretty intense shadows. Instead, all we have are bloom effects.

I love this one. A birthday party in a dank, metallic vault, the people aren't even enjoying themselves. Taking the picture of idyllic 1950s America and twisting it. Fallout at its best.

The reason might be that these are still early development builds, but the graphics don't really look very impressive to me, honestly - they are a far cry for current standards like say, Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed (I'm not mentioning Crysis here, because the game requires a NASA supercomputer to run or something).

My opinion only: I didn't buy FallOut until it was released for $10.00. After it was released into the budget software section in Wall-Mart, I decided to give the game a shot. Truthfully, I was not very impressed. I couldn't really get into the game. I consider "FallOut" as one of those series, which you buy when you have a few bucks to throw away. I have deep respect for cult fans, and I think "FallOut" most likely does have a selective group. If I had to place it into a game hirearchy (of what I consider purchase worthy games), I would have to place it some where bellow "Monopoly" or "Jeopardy". No offense to the fan base, but I personally believe there are games more worthy of purchase.

I do respect the cult following though. Since I'm one of those Duke Nukem and Doom fans, I can respect why someone would like this game. I just have different tastes.

[the graphics] are a far cry for current standards like say, Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed (I'm not mentioning Crysis here, because the game requires a NASA supercomputer to run or something).

No, they are a far cry from the Fallout and Fallout 2. :D I think there some of us who can still enjoy a low-res game like Fallout and Fallout 2 who won't mind (in fact prefer) if FO3 wasn't on bleeding edge of graphical madness as long as the dialogs and music pull off the ambiance of its predecessors. Bethesda already owes me one graphics card for Oblivion. :xp:

Edit: It's a big set of shoes to step into. FO and FO2 had what seemed to be just the right ratio of abstraction and realism to put the player in the setting. Since FO3 will be much more graphically intense, there will be fewer gaps for the player's imagination to fill. The designers will have that much harder of a job to recreate the Fallout world and mood.

No, they are a far cry from the Fallout and Fallout 2. :D I think there some of us who can still enjoy a low-res game like Fallout and Fallout 2 who won't mind (in fact prefer) if FO3 wasn't on bleeding edge of graphical madness as long as the dialogs and music pull off the ambiance of its predecessors. Bethesda already owes me one graphics card for Oblivion. :xp:

Sadly, that group of people is rapidly diminishing as good old fashioned storytelling, character development and gameplay are replaced by shiny graphics and bloom. Lots and lots of bloom. My favorite computer game happens to be Arcanum, which was made by Troika, a now-defunct company which included several people from Black Isle Studios, the wonderful developers of Fallout. Guess what? It's an isometric 2D game, and I still play it regularly and enjoy it immensely. In fact, I believe many RPGs would actually benefit from "weaker" graphics, leaving room for imagination and focusing more on story.

People nowadays forget what an RPG is. Anything with stat points and XP gains is called an RPG. It doesn't matter if it's completely linear and there's virtually no choice, it's a role-playing game. Never mind the actual "playing a role" part, we'll gladly trade that for high-poly models and HDR. That or multiple endings. There's another thing that pisses me off. You can have an entire game that is completely linear except for having a few choices at the very end (I'm thinking of something like Dark Messiah here) and all of a sudden, it's an RPG. Not that Dark Messiah is a bad game, I actually enjoyed it a lot, it's just not an RPG. Of course, under this whole "let's call everything an RPG" craze which stems from the old days of Diablo (also a good game), Dark Messiah is an RPG, and one that offers you plenty of choices, I mean, you actually have a skill tree! :rolleyes:

I apologize for going so out of topic, but this is just one of those things that really gets me riled up. So, getting back on track: Fallout 3, possibly a good game, horrible Fallout sequel. I cringe whenever I read a Bethesda interview about F3. The amount of ridiculous changes they make for no reason than to appeal to a completely different crowd than the first two games (which are the only real Fallout games made so far, BoS and Tactics don't count) is overwhelming. So that's one game I'm REALLY not looking forward to. Also, I should mention I feel Oblivion is a sorry excuse of a game, and I bought it having believed Bethesda's wild and completely unfounded claims about the game, the greatest example of which is the (not so) Radiant AI, so please excuse me for not getting my hopes up.

So, getting back on track: Fallout 3, possibly a good game, horrible Fallout sequel. I cringe whenever I read a Bethesda interview about F3.

This basically sums up my feelings toward Fallout 3. Although, I honestly don't think that Arcanum matches up to Torment or Fallout 2 but that's for another topic :).

• 2 weeks later...

I often feel I'll shouting these things into a dark, mauve void.

Anyway, Eurogamer has uploaded a preview of Fallout 3 for your enjoyment.

Worryingly, as so many things seem to be with Bethesda's treatment of the Fallout franchise, they seem to have left Eurogamer with the impression that this is Oblivion... only when you shoot cars, they set off nuclear explosions. Why Bethesda is making "the next logical step on from Oblivion" and not the next logical step on from Fallout is beyond me but that seems to be what they're doing.

Hope for Fallout fans, however, hasn't remained trapped in the Pandora's Box that is the story of the licence's purchase by Bethesda. Hines, through the medium of Gillen (your friendly neighbourhood Eurogamer reporter), says, "The point is to show that we're a long way from the 'Yes, I'll help you'/'Yes, I'll help you for three pounds fifty and a cheeseburger'/'I WILL KILL YOU AND TAKE YOUR STUFF' conversation options with which most modern RPGs satisfy themselves." Although, being "a much more dense conversational game than Oblivion" is hardly the most taxing thing for a game developer to do.

How old must Dogmeat be by now, anyway?

Archived