Home

Serious sound problem

lipton

Hey all

I've just installed my version of GrimFandango (the DVD one)

then installed the update and applied a nocd patch

however when i enter the game it runs just fine...in 5 seconds

then the background music just bugs up like a jammed LP, and if Manny gets a facial expression he keeps it .... furthermore if i try to talk to Eva i have to press skip dialogue button just to get from one line to another

what the moo is wrong? ive tried the direct X thing but it didnt work

I run windows XP with a Geforce 5700 graphics card, intel-p 3.0 processor and Asus motherboard....everything has the latest updates

For All Who Had This Problem:

I had the same problem as lipton. The key is, after making the .exe run for Windows 98 (right-click on the file named GRIM FANDANGO in the "Grim" folder, go to "properties," go to the tab "compatibility," and use the drop-down menu), you must enable the 3D hardware acceleration (this is done under "options" when the game runs), otherwise the cutscenes will be choppy and slow. That means you can't run the game in a windowed mode.

Just an FYI for you all.

• 2 months later...

This is the problem I've been having. The only way for me to fix the videos is to turn off compatibility mode, but then the game doesn't work normally. So you could just save/quit and turn compatibility mode off to watch a video then back on, but that's a real pain. Kinda a catch-22.

It might be worth noting that 3D Acceleration will not work properly unless you have a dedicated graphics card, or at least it won't work as well as it should (and thus enabling it might not help with acceleration much at all).

If you do have a dedicated graphics card, it's probably an NVIDIA or ATI one and you know about it. If you don't, it'll be a small chip built into your motherboard doing the acceleration (known as on-board graphics) and this is almost always much slower.

Something to bear in mind for those, and if anyone does ever get a new graphics card do let us know if it helps. :)

Archived