Home

TFU for PC?

1. Next year when this comes out, PCs will be even more powerful than they are today.

2. Guess what they are coding (and probably testing) this game on? A PC.

3. It will be released for PC, but it will come out 3-6 months after the major release. Worst case, in time for Xmas of '08.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2. Guess what they are coding (and probably testing) this game on? A PC.

Of course they'll be coding it on PC, but testing TFU on it? WTF?

Yes it's not just graphics that have to be addressed, it's porting for a start which is always an expensive business and porting would require a complete refigurement of the controls to fit the format and parts o the game would have to be redesigned (control tutorials etc). making the initial game project more time-consuming and expensive. I think this is the key reason why LA decided not to release for PC, as they weighed out the pros & cons of doing so and the cons came out on top.

This game may be eventually released to PC as well... In time, when they look at the sales and consider that its worth the shot. If Capcom was the one making that game, we wouldn't have to worry about that (he he, RE 4).

Hmmm, no offense LA, but I could buy a new next gen console and get this game, OR I could upgrade my pc and be able to play more good games. Oh well...

If they're making a PS2 version there's no reason why they can't make a PC version, except that they won't be able to charge $50-60 for it for virtually its entire shelf life.

LA has released some decent PC games lately, but it seems all the "wizz bang cool" titles lately have all been next gen console. Still, it remains to be seen if this is any fun to play. It looks cool, but as we all know looks can be decieving.

Ah well, if I see the in-store demo I'll give it a whirl! I've longed for a "Dark Jedi" game for years (since 1998). It's too bad PC users will have to wait...

If they're making a PS2 version there's no reason why they can't make a PC version
I agree with your reasoning however TFU's Project Lead doesn't see it that way. :smirk2:

While The Force Unleashed will be coming to higher-end consoles like the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, there will be no Wii or PC versions for the time being. "At this time, we are not planning a PC release," said Blackman. He said that current PC hardware constraints would prevent the game from reaching a broad audience and added, "The minimum spec for a PC version right now is just too high."
Source: TGDaily

Ehm...I hear people screaming about hardware requirements, duel-cores and all.

That's a bit strange, since the game will be released on the Playstation 2 as well.* No other team is hired to do that (as far as I know). That means the engine is quit good in matters of system requirements. If it runs on the Playstation 2, I'm sure it will run on most home computers.

*=Gamespot list: http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?type=11&stype=all&tag=search%3Bbutton&om_act=convert&om_clk=search&qs=Force+Unleashed

I don't mean to...brag or anything, but I think TFU won't require that much of processor power. I mean, Crysis minimum requirements are a 3 gigaherz processor. And I think Crysis looks better then TFU.

To conclude: Since the engine lends itself for a PS2 version, why not port it to the PC? Just make it run on the standard home systems and include some insane bloom and graphic options for those who have a new duel core at home. :)

Heh, I see, it's coming to PSP and DS as well. Yes, those requirements must be FAR too high... (sarcasm). ;)

Perhaps they're too lazy to input the ability to dial down the graphics and such? (if the PS2 version will be significantly dumbed down to the point where it would be crappy on the PC; by a side by side comparison is needed for the other two versions and the PS2)

Or worse, perhaps they fear this is a title PC gamers wouldn't care for... (Episode III game, anyone?)

How amazing could this game be that the PC min. requirements in a year would be "just too high"? It's not like those consoles are going to increase in power in a year...

Of course they'll be coding it on PC, but testing TFU on it? WTF?

I can't guarantee they will be doing a lot of testing on the PC, but I guarantee you the game runs on a PC TODAY. They are writing this game for every platform under the sun, it is logical that most of that development is being done on the swiss army knife of media creation, the PC.

And before compiling and building for all those platforms, I am sure it runs on the same PC it was coded on.

I'm searching for references now...

Here is some:

Xenon Development Kit

The Xenon development environment follows the same model as for Xbox.

Game development occurs on the PC. The resulting executable image is

loaded by the Xenon development kit and remotely debugged on the PC.

MS® Visual Studio® version 7.1 continues as the development

environment for Xenon.

The Xenon compiler is based on a custom PowerPC back end and the

latest MS® Visual C++® front end. The back end uses technology

developed at MS for Windows NT on PowerPC. The Xenon software group

includes a dedicated team of compiler engineers updating the compiler

to support Xenon-specific CPU extensions. This team is also heavily

focused on optimization work.

The Xenon development kit will include accurate DVD emulation

technology to allow developers to very precisely gauge the effects of

the retail console disc drive.

http://answers.tveasy.co.uk/u.g.v.xbox/LXX2-hardware-o.htm

sorry dumb question, but whats the genre? fps, tps, rpg? I'm only interested if its fps or rpg, or has Boba Fett. I dont really care if its graphics had to be lowerd for the pc, its not about graphics its about game play. It could have N64 graphics and I would still play it as long as it had a good story and game play. hmph they really need to start kotor3.

It will be a third person saber action game. It looks similar to the Jedi Knight series. A similar RPG element will be there too, your powers will increase over time. So a mixture of your two favourite genres...:)

Hmmm...Boba Fett. Could be...he's supposed to have a role in the tv series as well, which takes place in the same timeline as the game...

Unless it's got the exact same controls as JK I fear it wouldn't be suitable for PC in that way (like Episode III as someone mentioned above), I know I wouldn't want to play it for PC if the controls suck...

I've seen it for Devil May Cry 3, it's an amazing game for the PS2, but it sucks on PC unless you've got a gamepad, and what's the point in that?

How amazing could this game be that the PC min. requirements in a year would be "just too high"? It's not like those consoles are going to increase in power in a year...

My thoughts exactly!

Unless it's got the exact same controls as JK I fear it wouldn't be suitable for PC in that way (like Episode III as someone mentioned above), I know I wouldn't want to play it for PC if the controls suck...

I've seen it for Devil May Cry 3, it's an amazing game for the PS2, but it sucks on PC unless you've got a gamepad, and what's the point in that?

Well unless it's optimized for the Wii, there's no control setup it could have that wouldn't carry over to the PC.

The PC has the ability to use a larger variety of controllers than any console on the market to date. A lot of "console ports" of games have been released in the past that sucked with mouse and keyboard and really forced you to use a gamepad, but that's fine.

I remember back in the early days of pc gaming (well, early days for me, early 90's) when games sucked with keyboard, so you always had to buy a gravis gamepad or offbrand imitator or flightstick to make it play decently.

I don't see owning a gamepay to play a pc game as a big handicap. It's not like they're that expensive, and once you have one (a good one) you can play all your games with it. I own two gamepads that I've had since 1998, and I still use them to play various games on my pc. There's also adaptors you can buy that hookup all sorts of console controllers to your pc, from NES to Xbox.

The only way a console port of a game to the PC will suck is if they make no effort to take advantage of the more powerful/expandable PC format, or deliberately dumb the game down (as they apparently did with Spider-Man: The Movie 2 for the PC).

I seen a copy of that in GAME a few weeks back for the PC, i almost cryed, :lol: It should've been DMC II ported to the PC, that game kinda sucked but numero 3 was a good installment in the series.

If they do make a PC version, I really hope they don't try to make it depend on Physics cards. Most new PCs have dual cores, if they take advantage of that mixed in with a nice graphics card a PC can handle it. And remember, what really takes the most processing power is quantity. From the screenshots I didn't see more than maybe 5 bad guys on screen at a time, if it was like 50 or more, that might be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

A Playstation 2 version...it still grinds my gears. In the developer diary they say something like:

"In 2004, we started planning to make a new Star Wars game for the next generation of consoles."

So we leave the Next generation of PC's (with Vista that already supports most of the X-Box 360 stuff) and bring it to the even newer console, the PS2! We know the PS2 is famous for it's graphics. :xp:

But seriously, Cold Planet, Gears of War and several other stuff has proven you can port stuff farely easily between the X-Box 360 and the PC. Not to mention Shadowrun, a game that 'connects' both consoles.

Why they take the extra difficulty to make a PS2 version instead of a PC version is strange.

The only logical reason would be money. But aren't there more people with a PC then a PS2? :(

Heh. You hope it doesn't create an angry horde of PC gamers? I think it has already happened.

:mob:

It think so too, and understandable to say the least. Of all the games LucasArts is developing or publishing, only Thrillville: Off the Rails will be for PC (although Lego: Indiana Jones is still TBA). Not very exciting. And I think The Force Unleashed would perfectly fit on the PC, even more so than on any of the consoles.

It's even more frustrating to see LucasArts coming up with this new engine, these exciting games and all of that, and you, as PC Gamer, are being left behind with an empty hand.

Archived