Home

TFU for PC?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coding and design can be done on a PC without it being playable on a PC. They likely have test boxes set up to test on different platforms. Not to mention the systems they use for testing are likely not the same thing as we have for PC's.

Just for poops and giggles, here's a possible reason they wouldn't make the game for PC's first. With the consoles, the hardware is static. One console from one household is the same as the one in the next household. My neighbor and I have a console (for the sake of argument lets say X360) and they are exactly the same. We have PC's as well. My PC has a radeon X1650 Soundblaster Audigy2ZS, Intel Core2Duo. His has a GeForce 8000 Realtek AC2 and AMD64. He's running XP, I'm running Vista(which isn't true, I'm running Ubuntu, which means most PC games are out of the question but meh). If you design a game for the console you only have one set of hardware to consider. One very specific setup. If you design a PC game, you have to take into account various hardware, with varying revision levels, countless combinations, and compatability issues.

All you say is true....

But wouldn't porting to a much, much weaker console (PS2) take as much time?

The DS is another case. The whole game will probably be made by a whole differant team, with all the possibilities of the handheld included. (The DS being capable of Nintendo 64 Graphics).

But why get another team to downscale all technology, textures overall coolness for the PS2?

Doing this for the PC would provide much more benefit.

In short, they're now 'doing' this (I think):

-1 Team designs TFU for the next gen consoles

-1 Team takes the storyline blueprints and works on a DS version (probably with the engine of that Twilek-game). They do this with Mercenaries 2 as well. A whole team is working on a seperate version for the PS2.

- 1 whole team is downgrading the Next Gen version for the PS2

And that's what I don't understand.

If you take a single team to make a PS2 version (since there is no way the PS2 can give the same gameplay and graphical experience as the next-gen versions), why not give that team the mission to create a...let's say..current/next-gen version of the game that can turn on most PC systems. You will reach far more customers with that then with a PS2 game, because face it: The die-hard games will already have bought a new next-gen console (expecially since they went down in price) or have a brand new Vista computer standing at home, because all the standard systems come with that.

What is the...group they are trying to market here?

The 8 yeard old Sly the Racoon gamers who haven't upgraded yet? The six-year olds who got the PS2 console last Christmas from their parents?

The 8 yeard old Sly the Racoon gamers who haven't upgraded yet? The six-year olds who got the PS2 console last Christmas from their parents?

The hard-working people who are still satisfied with a PS2 and don't want to fork out for a stupid 360 and can't afford a PS3 yet...

I got a PS2 last Xmas for my fiancee because it's by far still the best console out there (except for the Wii maybe), with the best selection of games (DMC, MGS2, Onimusha, Guitar Hero, etc...)

The PS2 graphics are still being pushed to the limit to this day, and it still amazes me what developers manage to squeeze out of this "outdated" machine...

I'm not trying to insult anyone, I don't even own a next-gen console, nor the Playstation2, or a 'uber pwnage' next gen computer. Just a mere Gamecube and a...'medium' computer. :(

It's just a mere observation of my part. Of course the Playstation has huge fanbase (110 million sold consoles worldwide?), but that doesn't justify releasing TFU for it.

My point is that the die hard gamers already bought an X-360 for Halo 3, Gears of War, Project Gotham, hell let's throw in the new GTA. And face it: TFU isn't made for the casual gamers. It's not like you can kill all thos Stormtroopers by buttonbashing or sweeping with the Wii-mote. :xp:

Again, no offense to the PS2; it's a very good console and has been out there for almost ten years. Of course it has had 'next-gen content' like God of War recently. I can understand why a PS2 would be a better buy then a PS3 or a X-Box 360, just because of the massive amount of games and third party support, just like you said. But the fact remains: TFU is 'created' for the PS3 and X-Box 360. Those are the consoles with the third-party support right now and will still have it in the future. EA all the way. :)

I just don't think it's justified to release it on the PS2. You wouldn't hear me complain if it was released for the original X-Box, Gamecube or Wii. With it; it's the same group of people who haven't upgraded, or, like you said and like myself, are satisfied with their current console.

But to me, as a Nintendo gamer and owner of a 'standard' computer, there is no way I can play this game, whilst the owners of an in power similar console (PS2-Gamecube-Computer?) like yourself get all the benefit.

So, again I ask: What goal is there to release the game for the PS2? I sincerely believe that most of the 110 million PS2 owners will have a PC that's stronger then that console, or have bought a new console already.

So, again I ask: What goal is there to release the game for the PS2? I sincerely believe that most of the 110 million PS2 owners will have a PC that's stronger then that console, or have bought a new console already.
I haven't bothered researching the actual console total unit sales figures but if there are 110 million PS2's out there then those are 110 million reasons why LucasArts should support the PS2. IIRC the PS2 was the clear winner in the previous generation of consoles with by far the largest installed base.

Of course I really wonder how TFU on PS2 will compare in features to TFU on PS3 and Xbox 360. If DMM and euphoria really needed the processing power available in the new consoles before they could become reality then I don't see how PS2 will be able to support LucasArts' highly touted game technologies. IMO it's likely PS2 owners will get an experience either without these features or with watered down versions of DMM and euphoria.

• 2 weeks later...
I honestly do not think it will be announced for PC. The reason they gave is because not enough PCs would be able to handle the specs. I think by the time enough PCs will be able to, LucasArts would have been moved on to other games.

You'd think they could market it to the hardcore FPS crowd at least. The people who buy computers to be able to play Crysis or similar games should have good enough computers to handle Force Unleashed as well, unless it's very poorly optimized?

Apparently they are numerous enough to make it profitable to make those games, and since Force Unleashed is an action game and not an RPG they might be interested in it. :)

In my entirely uninformed opinion it sounds like nothing but a poor excuse. Especially with the Playstation 2 version, which would be equivalent of 2002 PC hardware, or Wii version, which I doubt would be more powerful than your average gaming PC.

Il really think the DirectX10 cards could handle the game, well not evry person have one but in a few years most gamers probaly have it, they will need to have it to follow up with the PC market.

And if it's a good game and it sales good to consoles, i really don't think Lucasarts just will move on. If they can profit from it, then they probaly convert it to PC.

Just look at some other games, Halo2 that is pretty aged at this time, but still it sales to the PC. Jade Empire also had pretty good sales to the PC market when it arrived.

And thanks Jae, didn't see this thread ^^

Hmm, im surprised there is no official information confirming or denying a PC version, on the other hand, on several online stores i have seen a PC version listed..

Me too... but that doesn't mean anything, of course. But the fact they don't want to confirm or deny a PC version's curious. They must be still deciding if they're going to make a PC version or not. Maybe they're waiting how successful the game will be on the consoles, before taking their chance on the PC.

Meaning that by saying it wont get out for PC, people who got flamed because of the game wont risk it and they will buy a console just to play ''The Next Best Thing'' after Jedi Academy that includes lightsaber fights. But I have hope.

Gears of War was published just for 360 and its now under production for PC with even longer story and improved graphics. So I will say that I will remain optimistic about TFU for PC.

History will see who is right :)

• 2 months later...

For those wishing for a PC version, there is a current petition with over 12,000 signatures so far.

http://www.petitiononline.com/g5d4iu5f/petition.html

Also for more in-depth discussion, check out the No PC thread at the lucasarts forum. Its at 93 pages with over 1300 posts and growing:

http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threadID=120668&start=0

Meh. I think many people who make or sign these petitions actually think they're going to make a difference. Some real action is needed: I vaguely remember CoD2 players massively abandoning the game because multiplayer was hell or something. I thought that was really cool. :)

Edit: Okay, PC gamers, I hate to show this to you, but check this. I guess the question is answered then: No TFU for PC. :(

Archived