Home

TFU for PC?

Edit: Okay, PC gamers, I hate to show this to you, but check this. I guess the question is answered then: No TFU for PC. :(

That doesn't mean they won't change their minds later, though does it?

It would be nice if they would say why they're not going to release a PC version....

Also, there is one instance where a petition actually brought results.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That doesn't mean they won't change their minds later, though does it?
I don't recall LucasArts ever going back and releasing a game on a platform for which they originally decided not to release it for. Thus I recommend you don't hold your breath for SW: TFU to be released for PC. :(

It would be nice if they would say why they're not going to release a PC version..
The following is reposted from post #55 in this thread.

While The Force Unleashed will be coming to higher-end consoles like the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, there will be no Wii or PC versions for the time being. "At this time, we are not planning a PC release," said Blackman. He said that current PC hardware constraints would prevent the game from reaching a broad audience and added, "The minimum spec for a PC version right now is just too high."
Source: TGDaily

IMHO a rather lame excuse from SW:TFU's project lead when one considers the fact that the game is being released on Nintendo Wii, Playstation 2, Nintendo DS and N-Gage. The reasoning would hold more water with me if they were only going to release the game for Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. But of course that isn't the case and you didn't ask for a [highlight]good[/highlight] reason... :smirk2:

Well, I understand the problem. But, like you said, Char Ell, I don't know *why* there would be this problem... Seems to me they could release it for PC if they really wanted to, considering some other PC titles that are quite the strain on mine....

Of course, they could always *cough* release it on a, er, mac.

Well, the thread's back up, time to respond:

Shadow Talon wrote:

So you are saying owners of a next gen consoles will have trash just to make them buy a PC so they can enjoy completely TFU on it (if they release one for PC)?

That is evil.

Nope. Just saying that, if the game can do it's thing on a 360 and a PS2, why not an a PC?

I haven't bothered researching the actual console total unit sales figures but if there are 110 million PS2's out there then those are 110 million reasons why LucasArts should support the PS2. IIRC the PS2 was the clear winner in the previous generation of consoles with by far the largest installed base.

Yes, okay. But don't you think it's a slap in the face of all PC owners? The people with an 'medium' PC see the PS2 can play the game and feel betrayed. People with an High-end PC who see the game is released for the 360 and PS3 will have the same feeling. And that's my whole point :)

Petitions did not bring back Sam And Max 2 nor Full Throttle 2.
Because they can reach 85+% of their target audience by developing it solely for consoles, without the very alrge headache of trying to support many PC configurations. It doesn't make much business sense to put in so much effort for such a small profit gain...

Yes, okay. But don't you think it's a slap in the face of all PC owners? The people with an 'medium' PC see the PS2 can play the game and feel betrayed. People with an High-end PC who see the game is released for the 360 and PS3 will have the same feeling. And that's my whole point :)
:lol:

1) I didn't realize you were responding to me

2) I wrote that 4 months before you posted a response. What took you so long? ;)

Sure, I think PC gamers have gotten the short end of the stick with LucasArts' decision to develop TFU for almost every platform under the sun but PC. I believe I've already expressed in this thread that I'm very disappointed in their decision. What can I do about it though? Not much. I've considered sending a postal letter to LucasArts to express my displeasure but I really don't think it will do anything. This is just a matter of LucasArts going with what they believe are the most profitable options available. With Jim Ward at the helm, LucasArts believes that consoles and handhelds are the way forward and I can't really argue with that decision based on the sales numbers I've seen. So I expect they won't release much in the way of PC games for at least the next couple of years, excepting any new SW MMORPG they may release. But since I'm a PC gamer and don't see much point in buying a console after investing some serious money in my PC then I think the most effective course of action I can take is to continue to buy PC games that interest me from publishers that support the PC platform. If LucasArts isn't among those publishers then unfortunately that is just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. :giveup:

Actually I would see them releasing a pc port like they do with those Lego games. Ports that does not really utilize the strengths of the PC but merely a simple "move that xbox game to PC" approach to squeeze more money out of the project with minimal effort. Probably would only happen once the consoles are out for a while though, like half a year or so. Lets just hope that they do a xbox port and not pull an "emulator of ps2" approach, and as we know it they are releasing the game on ps2 despite saying the game being "next gen only" and anyone who thinks ps2 is still "next gen" nowadays should have his balls violently ripped off with a spoon and force fed back with tabasco and a hit of poprock powder.

Remember, many many so-called game reprints are just old console games emulated from older console rather than real ports. Lets hop this does not happen here for TFU.

I mean, it would be much easier and cheaper to do that with minimal extra budget and what not... much cheaper than the money they have wasted on the toaster wannabe known as ps3, where many game publishers start to shy away.

Because they can reach 85+% of their target audience by developing it solely for consoles, without the very alrge headache of trying to support many PC configurations. It doesn't make much business sense to put in so much effort for such a small profit gain...

You almost sound like one of those 'PC Gaming is dead!' preachers, pulling those numbers from your behind (yes, even with the consoles combined it is ludicrous) and calling it a waste of money. For example, it is in fact more troublesome to develop for the PS3 architecture (quotes aplenty), with a smaller proven Star Wars fanbase and disappointing software sales (links aplenty, see EA statements for example). Wouldn't make much sense business wise, right?

Not really. And there most definitely is the target audience on the PC unlike other console franchises would be ignored. The 'we can't do it because of the graphical requirements' nonsense has already been handled by others in this thread so I don't have to.

They're being lazy, that's all there is to it. Or merely postponing PC release, hoping to rack in more console sales.

The fact is companies miss out a lot of cash when doing PC games due to the illegal downloads. On the other hand, they'd still make a lot of profit, PC Gaming isn't dead. And you make a good argument: PS3 sales aren't what people (or at least Sony) expected it to be. Why them and not the PC?

Agreed.

That is until MGS4/FFXIII comes...

Well, confirmed for MGS4 360 version. I think there is a go on FF13 also.

Well, PS3 does have that FF game that is a poor rip on Soul Calibur style fighting game. And for those who is unfortunate enough to remember, Square created such failure before... with a different name. Though I would hope that this time it would be playable, just so that I might say "Aeris Lives"

Unknown acronyms abound.

MGS4: Metal Gear Solid 4.

FFXIII: Final Fantasy XIII.

Well, confirmed for MGS4 360 version. I think there is a go on FF13 also.

Wat? MGS4 is NOT coming to the 360. So is FFXIII and FFXIII:Versus are exclusive for the Sony black-box so far.

Well, PS3 does have that FF game that is a poor rip on Soul Calibur style fighting game. And for those who is unfortunate enough to remember, Square created such failure before... with a different name. Though I would hope that this time it would be playable, just so that I might say "Aeris Lives"

What would that be? I really don't remember...

• 2 weeks later...

1) My computer can kick any consoles' ass without thinking twice about it. It isn't a hardware issue - it is a hardware *compatibility* issue. If you've noticed, LA isn't very big on patching products along. Also, there is the decision to go to DX10 (which would really make consoles worthless).

2) There is an incredibly sad hit to the wonderful modding and editing communities.

Going to console-only makes a vanilla one/two-play-through game.

I'm going to be pissed if 360 prices don't reach a justification height by the time TFU ships.

/wonders what the "FU" could also stand for

When exactly did LA start developing TFE? I would guess its been at least two to three years. If we look back roughly two to three years I would say that PCs that were powerful enough to run a fully loaded TFE were very expensive.

Nowadays you can buy a quad-core PC for 600 USD. High end dX10 cards are less than 300 USD now and soon we'll have multi-gpu DX10 cards with 1gig of RAM for under 500 USD.

If LA tries to argue that PCs can't handle such next-gen titles like TFE then I think they are dead wrong. PCs today are designed to handle next-gens like TFE.

As a PC-only game I really hope TFE gets ported to PC.

When exactly did LA start developing TFE? I would guess its been at least two to three years. If we look back roughly two to three years I would say that PCs that were powerful enough to run a fully loaded TFE were very expensive.

Nowadays you can buy a quad-core PC for 600 USD. High end dX10 cards are less than 300 USD now and soon we'll have multi-gpu DX10 cards with 1gig of RAM for under 500 USD.

If LA tries to argue that PCs can't handle such next-gen titles like TFE then I think they are dead wrong. PCs today are designed to handle next-gens like TFE.

As a PC-only game I really hope TFE gets ported to PC.

I'm a bit late mouthing off on this but better late than never. Anyway......

If that is a close starting development time frame, croikies there weren't even any next gen consoles around at that time either. I agree that the statement from Lucasarts is lame. How does one explain the DS version. Are they seriously saying that the PC can't even compete with the DS? Even still, crysis alone has proven that an uber system req. game can, will and does sell the pants off of everything else. Jeepers, I've started on the pong game. Then moved up to the TI 99/4a then an 8088 8/16 mhz computer and so on. Since the 286's, there was always some game pushing the envelope on the pc.

I'll tell you what I really suspect is going on. The PC gamer getting snubbed and kick around yet again by a company that made most of its past revenue from PC gamers. This is the thanks we get other than a few pathetic bantha chips they decide to throw our way to keep their name in our eyes. Look what happened to the ever popular Duke Nukem franchise when they did that. Awww, poor Duke no movie deal anymore. This entire thing about the PC has got me riled up again and no I won't go out and buy a console for just one game either. Mind you, I have nothing against the console I just don't use them nor want to use them I would sooner join myspace for I'd get better use out of that than a console. I'm just ticked off at how the PC crowd keeps getting kicked around and treated not as second class citizens but third class ones because of them.

Anyway, If it's going to be a port from a console, I'd rather not see it come out for the PC then and this so called "not doing a pc version because of the money" is a load of garbage too. I went to petitiononline.com and there is now 14856 signatures. That translates to $594,240 if they sold the games to retailers @$40 a pop figuring that the pc version would sell at $49.99. Factoring that those are signed by the people that heard what's going on. I myself just discovered all this ruckus. If it was going to be ported, those are not bad starting figures for a game already made and just needs a tweak here and there to get it onto the PC.

I pretty much own almost every title from lucasarts right down to the Lego Droid Creator product. I even have the lithographic signature boxes of Pod Racer, Phantom Menace and Xwing Alliance unopened of course since I have the ones I bought in the store I played and still play. Well you get the idea. I think this pretty much puts the nail in the coffin with me and lucasarts even if they come out with "PC this" or "PC that" in the future. I, also, frankly got tired of waiting for another Jedi Knight series without the crappy Quake 3 arena engine which I hate.

Frankly, this is also the last straw for me with the entire Star Wars Franchise altogether. Time to mosey on back over to Star Trek. Although, I would like a Klingon Academy II. In fact, I think it's high time Star Trek got a kick butt RPG going.

When exactly did LA start developing TFE? I would guess its been at least two to three years.

I would say much less than that, judging from the fact that they apparently fight to their last breath to avoid actually showing us anything of the game, save for two videos about their physics engine (and the other thing) and a mountain of worthless concept art.

I, also, frankly got tired of waiting for another Jedi Knight series without the crappy Quake 3 arena engine which I hate.

They only did that once.

Archived