Home

Blob

Should blob be removed?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should blob be removed?

• Yes
    • Yes, but replace it with a diffrent secondary fire. (Post bellow)
    • No, keep it the way it is.
    • No, but change how blob works. (Post bellow)
    • CAKECHEESE!

Oh please. If you were to ask anyone who's played across multiple gametypes and mods with me, you'd know that I have an affinity for both guns and saber, and actually prefer saber most of the time. However, unlike you I've grown out of the 'WAN GUNNERS BLOW NERF ALL GUNZ SABOR FOREVAH" mentality awhile ago...

It's painfully obvious to me that there's an anti-gun mob mentality going around on this forum, as evidenced by the fact that nearly all the 'major balance issues' apparently have as an end 'solution' "NERF GUNNER ITEM OR ABILITY #2432" or "RESTRICT GUNNER ACCESS TO ABILITY #3435".

But again, I digress. You'll argue until the end of time because you don't know any better.

Well, the thing about blob is that you can spam the damned thing without any cooldown. Remeber that time we had none cooldown rockets? Yeah... This is basically the same thing, maybe with less DP damage, less range, etc etc, but it still works as a way to permantly "stun" a Jedi/Gunner. Add a seeker to this combo, and you're killing people faster than 50 Cent walks through bullets. Auto-Push doesn't work, Push costs 20/10fp, and I'm pretty sure they got more than 5-10 shots per riffle. I honestly don't see what's stopping from 1 or 2 or 3 people going 'LOL STALINCLOWN MODE' and spamming a skilled Jedi with Blob without shooting a single primary (primary fire is an oxymoron to clone riffle) shot, yeah...

Then make autopush apply to blob... frankly if a gunner gets knocked down by their own blob a Jedi has basically won. And frankly saying that it's possible for THREE different people to lock down one Jedi by unleashing a heavy weapons barrage is somehow a problem is inane, it's 3 vs. 1.

As it stands the cooldown on rockets is no longer justified in its current iteration, simply because of the fact that you're force vulnerable in the interim despite any points you've dumped into Absorb.

The reason blob is used is because IT IS 'THE' ONLY DECENT MAIN GUNNER WEAPON LEFT! Bowcaster's speed has been reduced, rocket launcher has a disturbingly long vulnerability period for something that can be readily autopushed, flamer has been nerfed in a lovely total of three different ways when probably one would have easily sufficed...

I as a gunner find bowcaster fine. Rocket launcher...well only time I have used it is today. And flamethrower...I try not to use...cause it seems kind of....overpowered?But that was last time I used it...sounds like it has changed recently?

A fully charged bowcaster shot drains a full bar of DP and already forces the jedi to dodge. If you're having trouble fragging with the other weapons you need to L2P (lol).

If it wasn't for the fact that a seeker is death to jedi, a fully charged tenloss and 2 detpacks were instant killers and the rocket killed anything that was floored I would agree with you.

I was only using 3 people to exgrate my point. So you get to abused by force powers like push/pull etc. The problem is, anything but push/pull is mighty expensive. By the time you get your crosshair on the cloneriffler for pulling, he probally already blobbed you, since he can fire NEAR you. So you've pushed the Clone Riffler down, gud gud. WTF HE CAN BLOB ON GROUND? GIVE ME MOAR PIE! MT, yeah hope he doesnt simply jetpack away when he dodges your saber. Ligthing : So much force, all for knockdown after which the clown can blob the **** out of you? Right. Charge him upfront with glorious 300 Spartans battle cries? I remeber blob is perma knockdown... Grip? Get close enough to him to do it, and I'll give you a cookie (and jetpack wh00r anyone?)

So how the hell do you counter Blobbers as Jedi? Uhhh...

E-11/Bowcaster are actually pretty useful, you just gotta make sure they actually HIT, or else your ammo is wasted ;P. Disruptor is instant kill when fully charged... And you got gadgets if you have to fight Jedi up close.

...The fact that a rocket kills anything floored is not much of a consolation since you most likely have to use something else to floor them due to the vulnerability, such as (wait for it...) BLOB. Further, I already know how to play quite well, thank you very much, considering I've more than once annihilated you back on 009r so hard that you whined.

And a seeker is mostly good in combination with other objects, most primarily, surprise, a knockdown via blob (and to a lesser extent rocket launcher). That however is justified seeing as how it's a SUPPORT ITEM.

Detpack and Tenloss do not do what you claim in the latest revision from Jack, I just made certain personally. So there goes your argument. Nor does a fully charged bowcaster force dodge. And I actually use the bowcaster as my primary blaster-type weapon.

---

Jetpack has been changed as early as 5-6 AM this morning, so all further arguments on that front are currently irrelevant. And I was actually calling for a nerf to jetpack really loudly anyway. And Razor's presumably removing blob fire when knocked down anyhow.

We changed a lot of the gunner behavior because we're looking for something different than Q3-style, bunny hoping, run-and-gun. It's a different style of play and it's going to take a while to work out the kinks.

Secondly, the standard gun play seems to have problems. Namely, the system where hitting a jedi quickly after they block is supposed to increase the amount of DP damage. Unfortunately, I don't know about these things until beta testers inform me of such situations.

Finally, guys, don't fight or make things personal. It just scares people off and we can't afford to do that now. I'm going to start closing threads if things spin out of control more. :(

From my playing last night, Blob and flamethrower are the only weapons that can really beat force spam without using other items (seeker and sentry mainly) and they still fail at a 2 to 1 ratio, lathain was nearly dead accurate all the time with them. What does this say? One, blob is not overpowered (though still think it does too much DP damage compared to the others). Two, Either our other guns are too underpowered or, Three, there needs to be more situations in which the other weapons can do more DP damage. Other situations might be to do more damage getting hit while running AND swinging, and/or maybe since we want to promote lesser Q3 gameplay, make walkng and standing shots do a little more DP damage (since it would improve your accuracy and shot placement most likely).

That running and swinging thing I think is more important because I think jedi should have to be a bit more careful on there approach rather than just running people over all the time.

The only way I'm in favor of changing the blob or removing it is if we make the other weapons more useful or replace the blob with something as useful or more useful. And I really do what it be able to be used less since it is a silly way to have to play too often.

Blob does not really do what people seem to claim it does. I had to empty half my clip at Hocks, who was standing still, to off him with blob. Call me crazy but that's not overpowered since blob is vulnerable to simply getting ripped out of your hands via pull, which Jack demonstrated wonderfully. And frankly, once you're pulled down you're finished. This is especially true now that jetpack has been retooled.

Also I made it my business to fire at Jack for several seconds with my bowcaster and seeker. And sometimes a sentry too. He did not die often to that combo alone, I had to couple it with blobs and flames of opportunity.

Finally, apparently ramming a rocket to your back while you're in the middle of dueling is more often than not simply not enough to off you unless you're bad off to begin with. Which is inexcusable considering the fire delay plus force vulnerability. One of those has got to go, and frankly the former seems best.

I guess we all have come to different conclusions then.

All those combinations are more than enough to flick a standing nevermind running jedi off the scoreboard, this week's, and last week's weapon tests with around 6-8 people have proven that.

Very much agreed on pull though, it shouldn't work that easily.

Archived