Home

Rum Rogers Jr.??

That's quite a stupid question, but anyhow...

Why everybody calls the guy who lives near Phatt Island Rum Rogers Jr.? You know, the one who drinks the contest rum. He's too old to be his son, in my opinion. If he's so, how old was his father when he sailed to Big Whoop, 100!?

I had always thought he was simply a drunkard who had bought the house and didn't even know about the skeleton in his basement, and he's never called by that name in-game as far as I know.

It was never really stated exactly when Rum Rogers Sr and the others sailed to find Big Whoop. It could be said that it happened long enough ago that Rum Rogers Jr has now had time to grow up into the man he is in MI2.

Remember, Captain Marley was Elains Grandfather and considering he had to have been of a somewhat younger age in order to be fit enough to captain a ship, I'd think he'd gone to find Big Whoop when Elaine was just a child, and so it'd seem fair to say that even if Rum Rogers Sr was roughly the same age as Marley at the time (i.e, old enough to have a fairly grown up son, but young enough to take a rough sea voyage), his son could quite easily be that age in the game.

Yes, I thought that at first, but then, when you arrive at Dinky Island, you find that parrot which guides you to Big Whoop and, supposedly, belonged to Captain Marley, and it repeats all the time: "I don't want my grandaughter to marry somebody like you, I want her to marry a captain" or something like that. I suppose, because of this, that Elaine was already a young woman and had pretenders at the time her grandfather arrived at Dinky. The Captain complained all the time about the pretenders and the parrot learned the phrase.

Of course that doesn't prove anything at all. I simply found strange the fact that everybody agrees calling the drunkard in Phatt Island by that name, Rum Rogers Jr., because I had never come to that conclusion before, and seemed a bit unlikely to me, not only because the age of the drunk man, also because he doesn't seem to know what's going on with that "treasure" in his new house. That's all.

PD. I've always played the Spanish version of the game, so I don't really know if the name appears in the original version; that's why I'm inquiring.

Archived