Home

Use the term "feint" instead of "attack fake"?

Should we start using the term "feint" instead of "attack fake"?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should we start using the term "feint" instead of "attack fake"?

• Yes, start using "feint".
    • No, I prefer "attack fake".

I was researching lightsaber styles when I noticed that the term "feint" is a better, more real-world term for "attack fake". I think we should start using that term for now on.

What do you guys think?

Well, as long as it is associated with both basic fakes and attacks fakes. I.e. Basic feints and attack feints.

Well, the thing is, to me, a feint is when you do as if you were striking, but you don't, so it sounds more like the windup fake.

But if we keep saying "feint" for windup, and "attack feint" for attack fake, I'm for it. (like Jack, it seems.)

According to dictionary.com:

fake:

5. (verb) to trick or deceive (an opponent) by making a fake (often fol. by out): The running back faked out the defender with a deft move and scored.

12. (noun) Sports. a simulated play or move intended to deceive an opponent.

feint:

–noun

1. a movement made in order to deceive an adversary; an attack aimed at one place or point merely as a distraction from the real place or point of attack: military feints; the feints of a skilled fencer.

I'd use feint for attack fake and fake (or fake attack) for windup so yes.

A basic fake can still be considered a feint. I.e. Doing some sort of movement to deceive your opponent. Although instead of it being attack feint and basic feint it should probably be feint and basic feint. I think I would confuse myself if both were different because I am used to both being common (Both right now are associated with 'fakes'), i.e. feint and fake.

A feint is basically like a setup attack for another attack at another target in fencing, whereas a fake is simply meant to deceive - there's a subtle difference in the definition. Which is accurate to what an "attack fake" is. It does not need "attack" or "basic" attached to its name.

Archived