Home

Using Opposite Force Powers

Rockstar

QUESTION: Why can't/don't light siders use dark powers and vice versa?

This is a question that i think might produce some interesting answers. Firstly, there is no "can't":

1) Darth Vader uses force protect against blaster fire in Ep5

2) Luke Skywalker uses force grip against two guards in Ep6

All force users use the force in battle to predict future events (blaster fire, incoming grenades, an attack from behind and light saber attacks). The force flows through the user and clouds the ability of the opponent to read them. This is why a Jedi CANNOT be a good dualist and poor in force powers and vice versa, because the ability to dual well is derived from one's physical and mental strength speed with the force. Anakin's powers doubled by Ep3 and he defeated Dooku purely with his saber. This is because strength in the force is strength in saber combat. This ability to predict and cloud is a trait of all force users. The other trait is to immediately maninipulate one's surroundings, i.e. force push, pull, and at a pinch, force jump.

My opinion is that powers draw on the light and dark side because they are 'the way' of the light and dark side.

The light side believes entirely on becoming one with the force in peace and virtue and letting the force flow through you. Heal is a meditation and powers like protect use the force to preserve and fight in harmony WITH the force. Through this harmony they succeed in combat through the aid of the force. The ideal is to "let the force flow through you" and make you stronger than anything else and be vigilant when doing so.

For the dark side, instead of fighting WITH the force, use it as a weapon to directly succeed in combat. They use it to channel their rage and strike actual damage to their opponent through means of grip and lightning. The ideal is to use the force to crush those weaker to further one's own power.

To illustrate this, lets look at a combination of force users. Remember that all force users use the force in battle as explained at the top. However, actual force powers are near useless in battle with another Jedi due to the constaints of time, concentration and the fact that lightning can be blocked with a light saber. This is why the only power we commonly see in battle is a push. Instead, users purk themselves up in battle. Dark: by rage and feeding anger. Light: by feeling the strength of the force flowing freely (simulated in KOTOR by force valor and the later)

Dark vs Dark

Obviously going to be a stream of lightning vs another stream of lightning... the stronger and more aggressive dark sider will win and claim what is there's. Such is the way of the dark side. If sabers were involved then powers would be useless though.

Light vs Light

Ok... this matchup is a contradiction in itself... anyway. Both would channel the force through them to focus their ability.

Dark vs Light

This really highlights the ideals of the Jedi and Sith in a nutshell.

Dark sider uses their hate as a weapon and uses lightning. Light sider absorbs it and turns it into energy they can use and becomes one with them, turning it from something of hate into something of peace. Dark sider persists with more hate and presses harder. Light sider turns the hate around and instead of creating something offensive of their own, reflect the darkness back to the dark sider.

In terms of saber combat, we see the differences very clearly. In Ep1, the intermission with Qui-Gon and Darth Maul. Qui-Gon is mediatating, feeding his force flow, whilst Maul is pacing like a panther, feeding his hate. This is the ideal that feeds both Jedi and Sith throughout the whole battle. In the end, it depends who is stronger in the force as to who will win.

NOTE: force powers are not always EXACTLY on par with saber ability. They are always very close but you could technically have a matchup of almost identically equal opponents say:

fighter 1) saber 95% force 105%

fighter 2) saber 105% force 95%

I couldn't imagine this margine stretching more than this...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, an important thing to note is that Luke used Force Grip to avoid detainment by Jabba's guards. It's quite likely it left them in a trance-like state so that they wouldn't warn Jabba that he was coming. His use of Force Grip was akin to Mind Trick in Jedi Outcast (and Academy) - it wasn't intended to harm the guards much, but to let him get past. Personally, I think the reason they used Force Grip is because Lucas and Co. hadn't come up with the idea for Force Push yet. If they had more Force Powers in their repertoire, they probably would have picked one that was "less evil." In any case, Vader has always used Force Grip as an outright weapon. He either used it to threaten or kill someone (ANH, ESB), or as an outlet of his anger (ROTS).

One could make the argument that the power itself isn't evil - it's how it's used. But I'm not sure I agree. We've never seen a lightsider use lightning (no, I don't count the books here because many of them are poorly written and contradict the films). I don't see how you can use lightning for non-destructive purposes either. I would say Force Grip is inherently Dark too, and that we should think of Mind Trick (or something similar) being used in ROTJ in place of Force Grip.

Mace and Yoda use the dark side a lot.

Examples?

Examples?

Rumor has it, if I recall correctly, that Mace Windu uses Vappad, some Dark Sided sword fighting technicque, and that Mace Windu enjoys tasting the Dark Side. That's just rumor though, in one book called "Shatterpoint", where Mace Windu is able to see into the future a la Kreia. Frankly, I don't believe it.

===

Using DS Powers as a LSer is not possible except in the KOTOR series, and then, you could dismiss it as noncanon gameplay. Using LS powers as a Dark Sider, however, seems reasonable, altough why? You fell to the Dark Side and gained aboslute power, why use the outdated Jedi tactics?

I also claim that Gray Jedi are able to use LS and DS powers, but since they strattle one or another side, remaining netural, they are weaker than a regural Jedi or Sith. It's the only way to stop people from unreasonably thinking Gray Jedi are the most powerful of beings...

Rumor has it, if I recall correctly, that Mace Windu uses Vappad, some Dark Sided sword fighting technicque, and that Mace Windu enjoys tasting the Dark Side. That's just rumor though, in one book called "Shatterpoint", where Mace Windu is able to see into the future a la Kreia. Frankly, I don't believe it.

I had forgotten about that. I agree with your assessment, too. It seemed to me like that was just an explanation for his lightsaber skills. Why can't he just be an excellent duelist without "almost giving in to the Dark Side"? Surely someone so high on the Jedi Council would not flirt with the Dark Side. I don't care what the technique is called, but it's silly to make it a "Dark Side" technique.

I also claim that Gray Jedi are able to use LS and DS powers, but since they strattle one or another side, remaining netural, they are weaker than a regural Jedi or Sith. It's the only way to stop people from unreasonably thinking Gray Jedi are the most powerful of beings...

Or you can just do like I do, and ignore any "C canon" that doesn't seem to agree with the movies. The concept of Gray Jedi doesn't necessarily conflict with the movies, but it comes very close. Most of the assumptions that have arisen from the concept conflict with the movies.

Mace Windu did use Vappad, which was considered to flirt dangerously with the dark side due to the amount of aggression involved, but it was just that, danger. If anyone can overcome the danger of falling to the dark side, it is a Jedi Master and member of the council. That doesn't mean Mace Windu actually drew upon the Dark Side at all, though.

And Yoda... there's not really any argument to be made that he had anything to do with the Dark Side.

I totally agree with the OP about the nature of the force powers. In KOTOR and other sources, the Sith openly state that they see the Force as a tool and a weapon. It is the Jedi philosophy that it is a guide.

"The Jedi serve the force, the force serves us" --Yuthura Ban says something like that in the first game, and both her and Uthar Wynn elaborate extensively on exactly that idea.

But I don't think that the powers themselves are evil. The different philosophies behind how the force should be used, sure, but not the powers themselves. I tend to agree with the Jedi Knight series. In Jedi Outcast, Kyle gets access to a broad range of Force powers without being evil. And in Jedi Academy, Jaden can choose between light and dark powers, with a warning that "Be careful, powers aren't inherently good or evil, it's how you use them" from Luke and Kyle (but actually the game developers). The point is though, what defines your path in the end is not the powers you use, but the choices you make.

Let's look at Luke in ROTJ. He used grip, but to what end? To get the guards out of his way. He didn't kill them, because there was no need to kill them. To kill them to get them out of his way would have been bad, but what he did was not. It was a quick, quiet method to get by without having to figure out how to do a mind trick on a very alien species who can't speak basic.

Lightning is harder. There is no non-destructive use for force lightning. And even if a Jedi had to kill someone, as they often do in bad times, lightning is not a preferable method. It isn't efficient killing, it's torturous. Choke would be more efficient and quick, and without the smell of burnt flesh. For a Jedi, pushing someone down and knocking them out, or cutting off a limb is often enough to end a fight, so why kill them slowly and painfully? What I'm getting at is, there is no reason for a light Jedi to use lightning. The power is useful only for death and pain, which (outside videogames) are never the Jedi's objectives. Could a Jedi use it to kill someone though? Why not? How would it be any different from cutting off someones head with a lightsaber?

Some powers though simply require more strength or emotional focus. A Jedi gains strength from serenity. You can see Yoda visibly calm himself as he defends against lightning in both AOTC and ROTS. A Sith gains strength from passion and hatred. You can see that in Palpatine when he uses lightning. Without intense hatred, you can't conjure lightning. And the better a Jedi you are, the less passion you have, so the inability to use lightning or other dark powers really stems from a practical inability. A light Jedi doesn't meet the requirements to kill someone with a thought, and a dark Jedi could never calm himself to the point where he could simply reflect attacks purely in defense.

According to G Canon and books about G Canon, the Jedi way is the correct 100% way of looking at the force in two pieces: Light and Dark, Light being correct. There is no in between in G Canon. G Canon is absolute.

And that is my biggest pet peeve with Star Wars and particularly George Lucas. He was born into a strong Methodist family and studied varied Eastern Religions to get his spirituality, creating the idea of "The Force" out of this and creating the views of the Jedi. This reflects greatly on the Force as having a "good" and "evil" side, as a definitive "good" and "evil" is often a Religious viewpoint of the universe.

Now, I am going to say this upfront: I think looking at anything or trying to split the universe into "good" and "evil" is simply an excuse to look at the universe through a crack in the door. I respect people who do it and all of their beliefs, but it is personal preference that I see everything as neutral. In Star Wars, George cut out or didn't even possibly consider a Gray in-between as his religious views probably do not see the concept of "good" and "evil" as relative, as I and so others do.

I, in my fanon writing, see the Force as sharing the concept of every action having an equal and opposite reaction. Applies to the Force and its influence over life, every action has an relative "good" and "bad" response that effects the Force itself. Similar to Kreia's view of the Force at times. As every action would be "good" and "bad", every action is Gray Neutral at all times. The Force uses the "good" and "bad" that happens in life everyday to keep balance and harmony, not catering to any side but rather them all at once. When the beliefs absorbed by the Force begin to unbalance it and break the harmony (which happens a lot in the actual history), it has beings born that balance it back to harmony once more. These beings are called "Chosen Ones." Yes, Anakin Skywalker was the "Chosen One" but the idea that only one "Chosen One" would be born in the history of the universe for only 1 of dozens of unbalances in the Force is simply silly and yet another religious view placed into Star Wars lore.

Some of that contradicts my idea of there being no "good" and "evil", but I am trying to hold onto at least some of the G Canon there. The balance of the Force is a circle of Black, White, and Grays in between to me. When there is balance, the amount of Black and White is equal with Gray in between. When the Dark Side gains more influence, there is more Black than White but gray is still there as there must always be some White left in the end, the Gray keeping the Black and White from destroying each other.

Alignments are simply based upon your emotion, point of view, and beliefs. The Jedi like to see themselves as saints, and they cut out emotions for reasons. Why? Because anger leads to the "evil" side of the Force. The Force, both "good" and "evil" is within all people and all the powers of the Force are capable of being used by both Sith and Jedi alike. Jedi can use powers that can be seen as Dark, and Sith can be seen using powers that could be considered Light. As JawaJoey said, it might just be possibly for near any Jedi to produce Force Lightning if they felt extreme hate, displeasure, or simply joy of causing pain upon another being. Self preservation or a deep care for someone could both be used to use Force Heal. Emerald Lightning is Force Lightning used by Jedi like Plo Koon. It is the same power, just given a different name to suit different beliefs. A fall to the Dark Side is simply giving in to your emotions and being hateful, angry, etc all the time, thus having access to powers given to you by the Force as it caters to your emotions.

An absolute real Gray Force user who could use both sides of the Force would simply have to believe there is a neutral path and have extensive control over their emotions. Not once in Star Wars have we really seen any Jedi or Sith believe there is no good or evil. They are always aligned more to one side or the other. Religious point of view play large parts in Star Wars, but the beliefs are always seen as being Black and White. The two sides are the only we have really seen because the two sides are the sides that are highly looked at in Star Wars, but if someone were to believe in a neutral, having an equally dark and light side in them then they could possibly have control over both. The Light is not a grand savior, just as the Dark is not a drug or cancer that consumes and destroys. The Force is emotion, beliefs, "human nature" and life itself.

But, as I said, such Fanon and beliefs contradict G Canon and all of the Religious views of a single man who saw it upon himself to make the most close minded view of the world into a living power and story with no opportunity for a neutral view. I respect his view and the view of others, but deeply wish that my neutral view was not seen as stupid and non-canon in both real life and Star Wars.

You bring up some interesting points, and in real life, I agree with you. Religion tends to relegate people to little niches of behavior, and doesn't leave any room for differing viewpoints. But Star Wars isn't about real life. Star Wars, like any fairytale, is about good versus evil. If Lucas started throwing neutral characters in the movies, the plot would be too complicated. Star Wars is a fantasy, plain and simple. One of the reasons I like Star Wars is for its simple fairytale view of good and evil. Of course that's not how real life works.

This is why I'm against things like "emerald lightning"; they don't have any place in the Star Wars universe. You might see such things as trying to show a more neutral view of the Force, but since Star Wars is a simple tale of good vs. evil, I see such things as a cheap way to give "good" Jedi "evil" powers. That would be an interesting thing to establish in another "universe", but it just doesn't fit Star Wars. It's fine to have a group of people in Star Wars that don't see things in black and white. But they shouldn't be a major component of a story. Once you have "gray" people as main characters, it starts "cheapening" the good versus evil theme. Star Wars authors should stop trying to be profound. Star Wars isn't about philosophy.

I respect his view and the view of others, but deeply wish that my neutral view was not seen as stupid and non-canon in both real life and Star Wars.

I have no choice but to see your view (as well as books and comics that tread a similar path) as "stupid" in the realm of Star Wars, because a simple fairytale (let's face it, Star Wars is no work of Shakespeare) doesn't have any place for neutral main characters. However, as I've said, I agree with you wholeheartedly in the context of real life. Only foolish people would dismiss your views in real life. Nothing can be seen so clearly and in such "black and white" terms when it comes to reality.

By the way, an interesting side note to this is how Lucas changed the view of the Jedi in the prequels. It didn't take deep examination of the movies to see that the Jedi were partly to blame for their own fall. Their arrogance paved the way for their demise. Lucas didn't go as far as making the heroes neutral, but he showed that even the "best of the best" make mistakes.

The Old Jedi Order did indeed make mistakes. Not really in their philosophy of the force, but in their philosophy of teaching and the organization of the order itself. Through completely light-sided means, they could have prevented Anakin from falling. The traditional ways didn't work for someone like Anakin, partly because he was so old when he began training. What Anakin needed was different from what the Jedi Order was willing to do, and their strict, traditional dogma *forced* Anakin onto a path that too easily led him to his fall to the Dark Side. If they hadn't been so arrogant or set in their ways, everything could have been prevented.

Even after the purge, Yoda and Ben still didn't fully understand the mistakes they'd made. Yoda especially kept trying to teach Luke using the old way, and would have forsaken Luke's friends for the sake of Luke's training. That should not be the Jedi way.

Luke though, he knew through instinct what had to be done, and he established the New Jedi Order based on what he knew was right, even as he looked to his mentors for guidance. The New and Old Jedi Orders were very different, but was on eof them Dark Sided? No. The Old Jedi Order was mistaken, and could have been correct without being evil, but they couldn't see it.

But that speaks nothing of good and evil itself, only that simply always being good isn't enough to always be right.

I'm going to have to agree with Ecthelion in saying that letting LS people use DS Force Powers would cheapen the expereience. However, I would also agree with TA of having more morally amgibious (note, NOT Netural) characters.

For example, look at Kreia. When she turned DS and became the final boss, some people (not all) still see her as a very great Jedi who tried to do the most heroic deed. And when Revan turned DS, some people, in retospect, sees Revan as doing the right thing. But both Kreia and Revan did not use any LS Powers at all. They were aligned to the Dark Side totally. But they were "Good", in a manner of speaking.

And what Vrook and the Jedi Council did? They did not intervene in the Mandalorian Wars, and I agree with their desicion. Many people do not, and call them "Evil", but at the same time, using Force Sight let you realize that all of the Jedi Council are composed of Light Siders.

My belief is that while Good and Evil is relative, LS and DS is concerte. Dark Side is the Self, LS is caring about the galaxy and what the Force wants (it is the natural state of the Force, after all).

The reason I don't ignore the concept of Grey Jedi entirely is because I do dislike the Space Opera of Star Wars. I really do like TSL's plotline after all. But, well, I also understand that the Space Opera of Star Wars is also good as well, and I really don't like seeing Grey Jedi as well. I like to see totally LS Jedi do horrible acts, and totally DS Sith do very good deeds, to make people start questioning, but I would also like to stress that the LS Jedi is LS, and the DS Sith is DS. Good and evil can remain in the domain of the beholder, but the Force alignment you side cannot change, and you usually must choose.

To be honest I am not even sure a 'Grey Jedi' is even possible, Although I am drawn to the possibility that the Force is one and its nature is deceided by the user.

However if you think about it the only 'Greysiders' have been from the KOTOR games in Jolee and kreia but although classed as neutral they favoured one side over the other Jolee was still a good honest guy clearly on the LS dispite what he may say to the contary, As for Kreia it clear which side she favoured since she was the final boss in TSL and she was quite manipulative through out the game.

So typically I think neutral would be impossible for the user to maintain as they will always favour one side to the other and remember a wise frogs words:

"Once you start down the dark path forever will it dominate your destiny"

===

Using DS Powers as a LSer is not possible except in the KOTOR series, and then, you could dismiss it as noncanon gameplay. Using LS powers as a Dark Sider, however, seems reasonable, altough why? You fell to the Dark Side and gained aboslute power, why use the outdated Jedi tactics?

Mace made and used Vaapad in order to channel his darkness into a light side

aggresive attack.Depa Billaba and Sora Bulq were warned by Mace for they were using it also. They eventually fell to the Dark Side.

QUESTION: Why can't/don't light siders use dark powers and vice versa?
The short answer: Jedi attempt to keep the Force in its natural balance, which directly conflicts with the use of the dark side. They can, but don't.

Sith do use dark side and "regular" powers.

1) Darth Vader uses force protect against blaster fire in Ep5
But how do we know that? It could be just as simple as deflecting a blaster bolt with his gauntlet.

This is why a Jedi CANNOT be a good dualist and poor in force powers and vice versa, because the ability to dual well is derived from one's physical and mental strength speed with the force.
I don't think that is true necessarily. Much has to do with the duelist's skill with a blade, and isn't entirely based on force potential. Dooku didn't rely on speed or strength when using Form II, yet was one of the best duelists in the order. Kenobi was not as powerful as Anakin yet defeated him.

Anakin's powers doubled by Ep3 and he defeated Dooku purely with his saber. This is because strength in the force is strength in saber combat.
But the issue there was the Dooku's use of Form II was not a good match against the power applied by Anakin's use of Form V.

Heal is a meditation and powers like protect use the force to preserve and fight in harmony WITH the force.
Are these powers even seen outside of the games? I can't think of any instances...

But point taken. :)

For the dark side, instead of fighting WITH the force, use it as a weapon to directly succeed in combat.
But isn't Force Push fighting with the Force as a weapon?

However, actual force powers are near useless in battle with another Jedi due to the constaints of time, concentration and the fact that lightning can be blocked with a light saber.

This is why the only power we commonly see in battle is a push.

But push is a force power, and we see it used all the time in battle. :confused:

First of all, an important thing to note is that Luke used Force Grip to avoid detainment by Jabba's guards.
But perhaps he was using the dark side. Later in the film he was falling to the dark side, and had to pull himself back.

It's quite likely it left them in a trance-like state so that they wouldn't warn Jabba that he was coming.
I'm not sure why it would be a trance-like state. Much more likely they at best became unconsious due to lack of oxygen, and at worst were killed. That is what we see in every other application of it (Captain Antilles and Padme for example).

His use of Force Grip was akin to Mind Trick in Jedi Outcast (and Academy) - it wasn't intended to harm the guards much, but to let him get past.
I don't see how it is akin at all. One power does physical harm and the other does not. And Luke appears to harm the guards, enough so that they at least pass out.

In any case, Vader has always used Force Grip as an outright weapon. He either used it to threaten or kill someone (ANH, ESB), or as an outlet of his anger (ROTS).
But why is that different that what Luke did to the guards? In both cases the recipient was hurt.

But I don't think that the powers themselves are evil. The different philosophies behind how the force should be used, sure, but not the powers themselves.
But dark side powers, such as lightning, are inherently evil, because of the way they are generated. Lightning is generated by using anger to corrupt the Force and use it to harm itself. That is an evil act. It doesn't matter whether it is used to kill a child or help Grandma recharge her car battery. The generation of it is evil, and the intent does not matter.

I tend to agree with the Jedi Knight series. In Jedi Outcast, Kyle gets access to a broad range of Force powers without being evil. And in Jedi Academy, Jaden can choose between light and dark powers, with a warning that "Be careful, powers aren't inherently good or evil, it's how you use them" from Luke and Kyle (but actually the game developers).
Games are a tricky thing, since canon can take a backseat to gameplay.

It was a quick, quiet method to get by without having to figure out how to do a mind trick on a very alien species who can't speak basic.
But there is no indication in any source that I know of that says that mind trick is language based (Anakin and the reek, for example). And mind trick would be much less harmful than choking, would it not? :)

Could a Jedi use it to kill someone though? Why not? How would it be any different from cutting off someones head with a lightsaber?
Because killing someone with a lightsaber does not require the corruption of the Force to do so.

According to G Canon and books about G Canon, the Jedi way is the correct 100% way of looking at the force in two pieces: Light and Dark, Light being correct. There is no in between in G Canon. G Canon is absolute.
Just a nitpicky point, but in G canon there is no "light side" per say, only the natural Force and the dark side. Semantics perhaps, but I think it is an important point for viewing what the dark side actually is.

And that is my biggest pet peeve with Star Wars and particularly George Lucas. He was born into a strong Methodist family and studied varied Eastern Religions to get his spirituality, creating the idea of "The Force" out of this and creating the views of the Jedi. This reflects greatly on the Force as having a "good" and "evil" side, as a definitive "good" and "evil" is often a Religious viewpoint of the universe.
It isn't because of his religious views that star wars is what it is. It is because he set out to create a mythical story, and so researched and incorporated many common mythical themes and concepts. Perhaps the greatest of which is good vs. evil. Obviously, Star Wars is by no means original in this regard.

The Force uses the "good" and "bad" that happens in life everyday to keep balance and harmony, not catering to any side but rather them all at once. When the beliefs absorbed by the Force begin to unbalance it and break the harmony (which happens a lot in the actual history), it has beings born that balance it back to harmony once more. These beings are called "Chosen Ones."
Note that the balance refered to by the Chosen One prophecy is not a balance of equal light and dark parts, but a stable, natural state. The absence of the dark side (via the destruction of the Sith) leaves the Force in its natural state.

single man who saw it upon himself to make the most close minded view of the world into a living power and story with no opportunity for a neutral view.
There is plenty of room for a neutral view in the story, just not with the Force. There are a lot of characters that are neither good or evil.

Through completely light-sided means, they could have prevented Anakin from falling...If they hadn't been so arrogant or set in their ways, everything could have been prevented.
Actually, it was because they ignored their ways on several occasions that Anakin fell. The rules were in place to prevent such a thing from happening.

Even after the purge, Yoda and Ben still didn't fully understand the mistakes they'd made. Yoda especially kept trying to teach Luke using the old way, and would have forsaken Luke's friends for the sake of Luke's training. That should not be the Jedi way.
Why not? Why should the Jedi put their own needs above the greater good? And the point wasn't to forsake his friends for the sake of training. There is a whole scene in ESB that explains why he shouldn't go.

Luke though, he knew through instinct what had to be done, and he established the New Jedi Order based on what he knew was right.
But much of what he "knew was right" has turned out to be wrong, as he admits.

The New and Old Jedi Orders were very different, but was on eof them Dark Sided? No.
But the teachings of the NJO has led to many more dark siders (and those flirting with it) in such a small timespan: Desann, Kueller, Brakiss, Alema Rar, Zekk, Welk, Jacen, and on and on.

The Old Jedi Order was mistaken, and could have been correct without being evil, but they couldn't see it.
The funny thing is now the NJO is starting to learn the lessons that the old order did millenia ago. Even Luke admits this.

However, I would also agree with TA of having more morally amgibious (note, NOT Netural) characters.
There are some good ones now though: Han in SW, Boba Fett, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockstar

Heal is a meditation and powers like protect use the force to preserve and fight in harmony WITH the force.

Are these powers even seen outside of the games? I can't think of any instances...

But point taken.

Ben Kenobi uses it in the Junland Wastes to heal Luke by placing his hand over his face. Sidious sort of uses it on Anakin in Ep. 3 when Vader is almost dead.

But perhaps he was using the dark side. Later in the film he was falling to the dark side, and had to pull himself back.

Perhaps, but look at him as he used it. He appeared composed, and in control of his emotions. On the other hand, when Luke was tempted to give in during the confrontation with Vader and the Emperor, he clearly appeared emotional (as did Anakin, every time he flirted with the dark side).

I'm not sure why it would be a trance-like state. Much more likely they at best became unconsious due to lack of oxygen, and at worst were killed. That is what we see in every other application of it (Captain Antilles and Padme for example).

But there is no indication in any source that I know of that says that mind trick is language based (Anakin and the reek, for example). And mind trick would be much less harmful than choking, would it not? :)

I only said that because it's obvious they were incapacitated, since they didn't alert anyone to Luke's approach. I don't think Luke killed them, since there was no need. It's possible Gamorreans are hard to trick, so Luke choked them instead.

Another possibility is that it's difficult or impossible for Luke to mind trick multiple people at once. I hate to bring Star Trek into this, but consider Spock. He can give people the neck-pinch quickly and easily, but a mind-meld takes much more focus. I realize mind trick is obviously quick to use, but it probably takes a lot of focus, and may not be possible to trick two or more people at once. Also, when we saw Obi-Wan use it in ANH, he didn't have to do much. All he had to do is make the officer "see" something on the droids that convinced him they weren't the right ones. When he was on the Death Star, he wasn't even using mind trick, he just projected a noise the troopers could hear. Luke, on the other hand, would have had to convince the guards that he was one of Jabba's people or at least not himself. Add to that the fact that they would have detained him and summoned Bib Fortuna, and now Luke has 3 minds to trick. That's a lot more difficult situation.

I don't see how it is akin at all. One power does physical harm and the other does not. And Luke appears to harm the guards, enough so that they at least pass out.

I see a similarity because of Luke's purpose in using it. He wasn't trying to kill the guards, he was trying to get past them.

But why is that different that what Luke did to the guards? In both cases the recipient was hurt.

True, but how much were the guards actually hurt? Jabba likely had a strict training program, so they were used to physical pain. That's a lot different than choking a pregnant senator.

But dark side powers, such as lightning, are inherently evil, because of the way they are generated. Lightning is generated by using anger to corrupt the Force and use it to harm itself. That is an evil act. It doesn't matter whether it is used to kill a child or help Grandma recharge her car battery. The generation of it is evil, and the intent does not matter.

I agree with you for the most part. But why did Luke appear so composed and peaceful when he choked the guards? Lucas has always made it very obvious visually when Jedi are giving in to the Dark Side.

Everything else I agree with, Prime.

T

Note that the balance refered to by the Chosen One prophecy is not a balance of equal light and dark parts, but a stable, natural state. The absence of the dark side (via the destruction of the Sith) leaves the Force in its natural state.

So why is there just one prophecy and not hundreds? It seems like darksiders are a lot more common to warrant a "prophecy" each time. That prophecy theme is apparently inconsistent with anything outside of the movies.

Through games I get the impression that there's the the lightside and the darkside. And the balance is somewhere in the middle.

In the movies though, it's the force and the corruption of the force, the dark side.

I'm in favour of the first interpretation, but I acknowledge that it's not the way it is presented in the movies, which imo outweigh the games in what is "correct" about Starwars.

That prophecy theme is apparently inconsistent with anything outside of the movies.

Most non-movie sources are inconsistent with the movies. They run the gamut from Boba Fett surviving the Sarlacc to Luke falling to the Dark Side (Dark Empire is surely a low point in Star Wars comics history), and are beter off ignored, in my opinion. Personally, I disregard most non-movie sources. The few Star Wars books I've read and liked (Thrawn novels and a few others) I think of as being true to Star Wars. I treat the other stuff (such as the Vong novels and most of the comics) as a separate universe like George Lucas does. Even the short summaries I've read of most of those books and comics are enough to make it clear to me that they don't fit in with Star Wars.

I consider games a special case. I enjoy most Star Wars games (especially Jedi Outcast, KOTOR1 and KOTOR2, and all of the X-Wing games), but I usually don't hold them to the same critical assessment as I do novels and such. For one thing, most of the games I've played don't use the characters from the movies (Jedi Outcast does, but they fit in with their movie "selves" pretty well). I'm not sure I have any other reasons. Maybe I'm just being unfair, since I'm a gamer. Anyway, I suppose you could say the books, comics, and games are true to the spirit of Star Wars, but don't always fit in with the movies. I still think KOTOR1 fits Star Wars better than Dark Empire does, even with Jolee being a "neutral" Jedi.

Sorry to turn this into a canon discussion, but it is inevitable when talking about force powers, because they are portrayed so differently in the movies, books and comics, and games.

Ben Kenobi uses it in the Junland Wastes to heal Luke by placing his hand over his face. Sidious sort of uses it on Anakin in Ep. 3 when Vader is almost dead.
But this is conjecture, is it not? Is there any source that makes this clear, or are they "just checking them"? There probably isn't either way, so the case can be made...

I don't think Luke killed them, since there was no need. It's possible Gamorreans are hard to trick, so Luke choked them instead.
The dark side truly is the quick and easy path! :D In any event, I would argue that gamorreans fit the bill of "weak minded".

Another possibility is that it's difficult or impossible for Luke to mind trick multiple people at once...Also, when we saw Obi-Wan use it in ANH, he didn't have to do much. All he had to do is make the officer "see" something on the droids that convinced him they weren't the right ones.
This last situation is likely an example of multiple uses of mind trick at the same time. I don't think that it makes much sense that Kenobi would only affect the one. In that case it is clearly possible.

True, but how much were the guards actually hurt?
Enough to restrict the air and blood to their brains, causing them to pass out.

Jabba likely had a strict training program, so they were used to physical pain. That's a lot different than choking a pregnant senator.
But that is moral relativism to say that it isn't as bad to hurt a bad or tough person as it is a good or weak person. But I would argue that the Force doesn't differentiate between the two, and we have seen what happens when a force user uses moral relativism...

I agree with you for the most part. But why did Luke appear so composed and peaceful when he choked the guards? Lucas has always made it very obvious visually when Jedi are giving in to the Dark Side.
Dooku sure looks pretty calm when he is throwing all that lightning around...

So why is there just one prophecy and not hundreds? It seems like darksiders are a lot more common to warrant a "prophecy" each time.
But in the films, there are only two dark siders. There are the Sith, and no one else. And when they were destroyed, there were no dark siders left.

That prophecy theme is apparently inconsistent with anything outside of the movies.
To a large extent it is, like Ecthelion says. That is why Lucas says everything outside of the movies is pretty much a seperate universe to the films. :)

I consider games a special case. I enjoy most Star Wars games (especially Jedi Outcast, KOTOR1 and KOTOR2, and all of the X-Wing games), but I usually don't hold them to the same critical assessment as I do novels and such.
The "problem" with games is that even though they are the same level of canon as the novels and comics, only the story is. Gameplay mechanics are not. But it is sometimes hard to tell what falls into the story category and what falls into the mechanics category.

Sorry to turn this into a canon discussion, but it is inevitable when talking about force powers, because they are portrayed so differently in the movies, books and comics, and games.
Indeed! What is canon is very relevant to the discussion. If we are going to debate it, we might as well "use the facts." :D

The dark side truly is the quick and easy path! :D In any event, I would argue that gamorreans fit the bill of "weak minded".

Toydarians are impossible to trick (so they're theoretically "strong minded"), yet Qui-Gon was able to fool Watto into rolling dice that anyone familiar with Jedi (as Watto appeared to be) would know could be easily manipulated.

This last situation is likely an example of multiple uses of mind trick at the same time. I don't think that it makes much sense that Kenobi would only affect the one. In that case it is clearly possible.

I disagree. All he'd have to do is trick the leader of the squad. The rest of the soldiers wouldn't need to be convinced, because they do what they're told (especially since they're apparently clones). Something making Kenobi's job even easier is that the troops probably didn't even want to be on that wasteland of a planet in the first place. It wouldn't have taken much to convince them to let them "move along."

But that is moral relativism to say that it isn't as bad to hurt a bad or tough person as it is a good or weak person. But I would argue that the Force doesn't differentiate between the two, and we have seen what happens when a force user uses moral relativism...

But Obi-Wan believed in relativism - "only a Sith deals in absolutes."

Dooku sure looks pretty calm when he is throwing all that lightning around...

I disagree. Every time he throws lightning around, he's gritting his teeth, as if he's straining to release his power. It's not as pronounced as when Palpatine uses it, but it's there.

But in the films, there are only two dark siders. There are the Sith, and no one else. And when they were destroyed, there were no dark siders left.

Agreed, which is one of the big problems with the novels and comics (and games, unfortunately). It's hard to have a Star Wars story without a villain.

The "problem" with games is that even though they are the same level of canon as the novels and comics, only the story is. Gameplay mechanics are not. But it is sometimes hard to tell what falls into the story category and what falls into the mechanics category.

Once again I agree. But as I've said before, many of the game stories are superior (at least in terms of staying true to the films) to the novel and comics stories.

Toydarians are impossible to trick (so they're theoretically "strong minded"), yet Qui-Gon was able to fool Watto into rolling dice that anyone familiar with Jedi (as Watto appeared to be) would know could be easily manipulated.
For some reason Watto doesn't realize Jinn is a Jedi, as evidenced by what he says on various occasions. In any event, a strong mind is not the same thing as an intelligent mind.

I disagree. All he'd have to do is trick the leader of the squad. The rest of the soldiers wouldn't need to be convinced, because they do what they're told (especially since they're apparently clones).
They were there to find some droids. Surely if they saw the interaction between Kenobi and their seargent, they would likely give a "WTF?" to him, at least afterwards.

Something making Kenobi's job even easier is that the troops probably didn't even want to be on that wasteland of a planet in the first place. It wouldn't have taken much to convince them to let them "move along."
But these are stormtroopers fanatically loyal to the Emperor. Even of they didn't want to be there, they would still attempt to do their duty as well as they could.

But Obi-Wan believed in relativism - "only a Sith deals in absolutes."
That's not moral relativism. :)

I disagree. Every time he throws lightning around, he's gritting his teeth, as if he's straining to release his power. It's not as pronounced as when Palpatine uses it, but it's there.
If you watch, for example, Yoda vs. Dooku in AOTC, he is speaking just as calmly as before [/i]while he is attacking with lightning...

For some reason Watto doesn't realize Jinn is a Jedi, as evidenced by what he says on various occasions. In any event, a strong mind is not the same thing as an intelligent mind.

What about this?

WATTO : ...Here it is...a T-14 hyperdrive generator!! Thee in luck, I'm the
only one hereabouts who has one...but thee might as well buy a new ship. It
would be cheaper, I think...Sying of which, how's thee going to pay for all
this?
QUI-GON : I have 20,000 Republic dataries.
WATTO : Republic credits?!? Republic credits are no good out here. I need
something more real...
QUI-GON : I don't have anything else. (raising his hand) But credits will do
fine.
WATTO : No they won'ta. QUI-GON, using his mind power, waves his hand again.
QUI-GON : Credits will do fine.
WATTO : No, they won'ta. What you think you're some kinda Jedi, waving your
hand around like that? I'm a Toydarian. Mind tricks don'ta work on me-only
money. No money, no parts! No deal! And no one else has a T-14 hyperdrive, I
promise you that.

He might not recognize Qui-Gon as a Jedi, but he (at least jokingly) suggests he is one. If he didn't think Qui-Gon was a Jedi, why did he bother to explain that mind tricks didn't work on him? Are you suggesting non-Jedi can use mind tricks?

Also, Watto recognized Anakin as a Jedi in AotC.

They were there to find some droids. Surely if they saw the interaction between Kenobi and their seargent, they would likely give a "WTF?" to him, at least afterwards.

But the Jedi were thought to be extinct. Those stormtroopers probably weren't familiar with mind tricks, much less be expecting them.

Even if the stormtroopers questioned their commander's actions, they wouldn't have said anything before Kenobi left. The Empire is founded on discipline and order. Also, that's assuming they'd question him in the first place. They might as easily have assumed he knew those weren't the droids after a quick glance, due to some information they he had but they weren't privy to. All he would have to do is say that he recognized them as droids that had been already checked by another squad (or something like that), and that would be the end of it. Having his mind tricked by Obi-Wan, he would have been convinced that they weren't the right droids. His mind would have come up with a rationalization for this.

But these are stormtroopers fanatically loyal to the Emperor. Even of they didn't want to be there, they would still attempt to do their duty as well as they could.

Point taken.

That's not moral relativism. :)

I realize my example was bad. It was a case of relativism, but not moral relativism.

If you watch, for example, Yoda vs. Dooku in AOTC, he is speaking just as calmly as before while he is attacking with lightning...

I don't remember that, but let's assume you're right. Dooku had years of training as a Jedi, and presumably years of learning to be a Sith. It's not unreasonable to think that he could control his emotions (at least outwardly) to an extent. Luke, however, had a quick Jedi Boot Camp session, then went out to face the world. He would almost certainly be less skilled in masking his emotions. You might argue that Palpatine didn't bother hiding his emotions while using lightning. But Palpatine never had Jedi training. Dooku had the benefit of years of Jedi training to help him stay calm.

The way I see it, it's not how you use the Force, it's why. You can't really assign a "Light" or "Dark" side to most of these abilities. Prescience? Telekinesis? Telepathy? Mind Reading? Mind games? Er, trick. Even Lightning could be used in a light side capacity, look at Electric Judgment? (Yeah, that's not Jedi propaganda to make people feel better.) It's Light Side Force Lightning, even Luke uses it.

Even Lightning could be used in a light side capacity, look at Electric Judgment? (Yeah, that's not Jedi propaganda to make people feel better.) It's Light Side Force Lightning, even Luke uses it.

That's only in the EU though, and it's one of many reasons I dislike the EU (although the games are fun). The entire concept of Emerald Lightning/Electric Judgment contradicts the movies. It was just a cheap way to let Light side Jedi use lightning.

You can't just disregard the EU, Ecthelion.

Why not? It's not as though the EU is something holy to protect. The EU is just that, the EU. If people don't want to read it, they don't have to.

Generic Star Wars fan: "Man, I'm so glad the Empire is finally destroyed and Palpatine killed."

SilentScope001: "Well, Palpatine actually had clones, cloned himself, and did a resurgance of the Empire."

Generic Star Wars Fan: "...It took them 6 movies to kill off the poor bugger, now he has to be killed again?"

SilentScope001: "He could see the future and predict he was going to die."

Generic Star Wars Fan: "I never caught that. But was Palpatine destroyed?"

SilentScope001: "Yeah, but the Empire is still alive. It did suffer some troubles, but soon, people got bored of the corrupt Republic and allied with the Empire. The Empire soon took over the galaxy."

Generic Star Wars Fan: "Wow. Evil wins after all. Great Story."

SilentScope001: "Really?"

Generic Star Wars Fan: "No."

Archived