Home

Using Opposite Force Powers

Rockstar

1) Darth Vader uses force protect against blaster fire in Ep5

That's not force protect. It's just the armor on Vader's suit.

Emerald Lightning and Force Lighting are two different things altogether. Emerald causes pain but does not harm flesh, Force Lightning is a projection of hate and pain that causes pain and mutilates the body.

What? Emerald lightning is shown to kill people instantly.

Dark Empire is ludicrous, but not because of Luke falling to the Dark Side. The Force Storms, for example, are the most ridiculous plot hole I've ever seen - I.E., why didn't he use them to destroy the Rebel Fleet amassing at Sullust before the Battle of Endor?

You forgot the use of the force to absorb canon fire from an AT-AT walker before crushing it to bits with the force, walking on top of lava (someplace other than Dark Empire), and force lightning which kills people instantly (NJO). That's just off the top of my head.

Why do you find Dark Empire unacceptable? I personally thought it was a great sotry,and remember, it was written before any of the chilidsh "chosen one" crap was made up. I personally think Luke is more Jedi than Anakin will ever be, even though hes only the "catalyst" that allowed Anakin to complete the prophecy.

Also, I think Dark Empire was a great story, GL himself said it was the closest thing to a sequel trilogy there is. What do you have against it?

Since when does the Chosen One have to be a Jedi at all? That aside, there is no way I can comprehend the idea of a real person saying with a straight face that Dark Empire is a good, the Lord God himself forbid a great story. With this post I enclose a list of reasons.

1. The [aforementioned] insane force powers.

2. It follows the plot device entitled "When in doubt, resurrect the old main villain".

3. Palpatine returning and reunifying the Empire with a gigantic amount of overpowered ships and superweapons in practically the blink of an eye completely destroys the sense that the heroes ever accomplished anything in Episode 6. It's even lamer that he can resurrect himself over and over with the clone bodies junk.

4. The drawing style put Chuck Norris into a coma when he tried to read it (true story).

5. The unneeded load of overpowered superweapons that Palpatine whips up like popcorn. The best example is, of course, the "Galaxy Gun", which is basically the concept of the Death Star, but on enough crack and steroids to run a smuggling ring with.

6. Palpatine becomes an absolute idiot in Dark Empire. The idea that he would seriously want Luke as an apprentice after Episode 6 is an insult to his character. He himself saw firsthand that Luke's family has a history of treachery. Why would he take such a chance again when he really doesn't need to?

7. Palpatine acts like gigantic flaming moron throughout Dark Empire, but the magnitude of his idiocy doesn't hit full force until the climax, where he decides that his best course of action is (in order to escape death from his current degenerating body) to transfer his mind into the body of an infant. Just what the hell was he thinking?

I seriously cannot imagine there being a need for any more reasons. All of those were off the top of my head. Your statement that this is any less "childish" than the Chosen One plotline is an absolute mystery to me. Say what you want about the prequels, but Dark Empire makes the worst mistakes a storyline can have, including repeated resurrection of the main villain, ridiculous plot holes, overpowered weapons, overpowered characters, and the corruption of a formerly excellent villain into a blithering retard.

Because if he had destroyed the fleet at Sullust, he wouldnt have got the chance to seduce Luke as his apprentice, because Luke was more powerful potentially than Vader, so he wanted Luke to continue the Sith legacy.

Luke was not crucial to the Empire's success. Palpatine having an apprentice at all wasn't necessary either. The only reason he kept Vader around was because there was no reason to get rid of him, and he kept officers in line and so on. Besides, if Luke wasn't an option, Jerec could have made just as good an apprentice.

Besides, even if that excuse wasn't full of holes, it still doesn't explain why Palpatine didn't just use the force storms at Endor after Luke was on the Death Star II. And don't say that he couldn't because he was busy concentrating on the affair with Luke and Vader, because Dark Empire shows him to be capable of controlling a Force Storm while watching TV and running on a treadmill (a real multi-tasker).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's not force protect. It's just the armor on Vader's suit..

...? Where was that confirmed? I thought that was one of those Han-shot-first moments...

1. The [aforementioned] insane force powers.

(nod, nod)

2. It follows the plot device entitled "When in doubt, resurrect the old main villain".

It wasn't done too badly, all things considered, but otherwise I agree that it is overdone.

It's even lamer that he can resurrect himself over and over with the clone bodies junk.

See above. But, we all knew the 'cloned-villain-returning' was coming... :lol:

5. The unneeded load of overpowered superweapons that Palpatine whips up like popcorn.

:D Exactly my thoughts.

7. Palpatine acts like gigantic flaming moron throughout Dark Empire, but the magnitude of his idiocy doesn't hit full force until the climax, where he decides that his best course of action is (in order to escape death from his current degenerating body) to transfer his mind into the body of an infant. Just what the hell was he thinking?

See above.

how come it's DS to harm human beings with Lighting, but purely LS to blow up droids? Can't droids feel pain?

Yeah... was wondering about that and if it is actually lightning or that's just a gaming visual effect like the sparkles during battle meditation. I'm pretty sure though, that Stun/Destroy Droid, etc. only short-circits the droid, which may not nessisarily cause pain like torture where they remain 'concious'.

I seem to be a minority on these boards, since I see nothing wrong with attaching the real-world confusing identities of light and dark to Star Wars, as long as the light and dark exist. But most of the power's alignments seem determined by the user's intent and their use, while others are clearly light or dark (Force Healing and Force Lightning respectively)...yeah, I have nothing else to say now.

...? Where was that confirmed? I thought that was one of those Han-shot-first moments...

It wasn't really confirmed anywhere that it was protect anymore than it was the armor on his suit, but the ladder made much more sense to me, since his hand under that glove is made of solid durasteel (or whatever they call it) and his hands continue to smoke after the shots impact. If he absorbed or deflected them with the force, there wouldn't be any smoke or sparks.

As for the Stun/Destroy Droid power, I always figured that was unnecessary to have, since it looks the same as lightning (and I don't see why lightning wouldn't have the same effects).

Most of the EU after Episode 6, seems at least to me to be stupid and a great mess. Infact I think a great deal has been done to trash the whole of Star Wars really.

On-topic:

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

WEll whatever you say, I liked DArk Empire because it was the first EU stuff I ever read. And it started the entire Ulic Qel-Droma old sith thing didnt it? So without DE wed never have KOTOR. Or maybe that was the Kyp Durron/Admiral Daala story, I never remember. Mybe theytook Exar from Kyp and Ulic from DE and tied it all together. I dunno.

And back on topic, Jedi Master Arka Jeth reassembles the inside of the Droids, changing all the wires around and everything, with telekinesis, to disable droids when hes fighting the Krath on Deneba or wherever it was.

Yeah it was Ulic and the Krath, but that was in the end notes, not the main story and probably would of been released regardless. The Background given in the endnotes was essentially a rough draft, it is very different from the actual Tales of the Jedi comics.

topic: Remember that in the OT it was only explained that there were Jedi who could use the force for "Special abilities", for all we knew lightning and choking were a Jedi skill, and there were Jedi who weren't the good guys anymore, Game mechanics and EU Expanded on force alignment and opposing skills and force powers between Sith/Dark Jedi and Jedi

Thinking more on the subject, choking isnt an evil power. Basically, either youre using telekinesis to block the victims windpipe, just as one would when normally chooking someone, or stopping all the molecules of oxygen from being breathed in, making the victims ashypxiate from breathing nitrogen and CO2.

A much more effetive use of telekinesis would be using force pull to rip the victims windpipe right out of his body.

Lucas has stated that lightning is a Sith power that requires the use of the dark side.

for all we "Knew", I was speaking about the OT when it was released, before all the interviews conjecture EU and the prequels :)

Plo Koon can use Electric Judgement in Jedi Power Battles cant he? (arghh i loved that game)

I don't think that game can be taken as a canonical source, since it only loosely follows the movie and allows for people who weren't on Naboo to be there.

Archived