Home

Gunnery Suggestions

...We have a lightsaber that projects black light.

Besides, it's perfectly easy to imagine the usage of some sort of power cell for all that ammunition for the energy/plasma weapons. Even easier to imagine that points in the weapon allows 'higher grade' cells. You're not talking about reload there, you are talking about OVERHEATING. Two entirely seperate things. Pick one.

Besides, forcing reloads would be equivalent to forcing a delay on all guns it is applied to, which is not at all necessary or at all needed balance wise. Do that and I'll reasonably expect the damage to go up.

...We have a lightsaber that projects black light.

Besides, it's perfectly easy to imagine the usage of some sort of power cell for all that ammunition for the energy/plasma weapons. Even easier to imagine that points in the weapon allows 'higher grade' cells. You're not talking about reload there, you are talking about OVERHEATING. Two entirely seperate things.

Besides, forcing reloads would be equivalent to forcing a delay on all guns it is applied to, which is not at all necessary or at all needed balance wise. Do that and I'll reasonably expect the damage to go up.

That's something totally unrelated to gameplay.

I'm using overheating as an argument for reloading.

Forcing reloads would just take over whatever the hell mishap for gunners was supposed to do, but isn't doing very well.

Overheating has absolutely nothing to do with reloading. You can't open your mouth and spout bull**** about realism and then turn around and claim that overheating should support reloading for gameplay reasons, especially when you decided to completely ignore my last paragraph regarding gameplay. Pick: realism or gameplay. One or the other. Choose or your argument is null and void since you can't have it both ways.

I was saying that currently, gunners can shoot their guns as long as they have ammo, at the same rate and not see or feel any side effects because of it. I gave as one outcome of this (in a realistic game) that the gun would overheat because of those actions.

Then I started about reloading and how it would fix this unrealistic problem...

...What part of 'reloading has nothing to do with overheating' is Greek to you? If you're concerned about overheat and realism in that regard, ask for an overheat gauge. If concerned about reloading and game balance, phrase it in terms of reloading. Star Wars is not realistic. Lasers can be heard in the silent vacuum of space.

You can't use overheat as an argument for reloading because, surprise, I could control my shots to fire in small bursts, totally minimizing heat, AND I'D STILL HAVE TO RELOAD IN YOUR SYSTEM unless you are advocating some passive ammo recharging. Therefore that overheat line of argument is utterly worthless. I repeat, pick one line of argument or you're just going to make yourself look silly.

No need to get all worked up, it was just an idea, I just don't feel like listing out a bunch of arguments when they'll all be shot down for *insert arbitrary reason*.

I could make up a bunch of other excuses why a reloading system would have to go in if you'd like, but there isn't really much of a reason to do so when it's pretty clear that the current system sucks.

My reasons aren't arbitrary, they are logical, your arguments are arbitrary and for the most part always have been. Your overheat line does not help you and only makes you look like an idiot for the perfectly good reasons outlined in my post. Which you convienently have no argument against because it is without question correct.

Come now, I'm sure good arguments for reloading could be found, but you are not providing. At all.

Oh fine

...What part of 'reloading has nothing to do with overheating' is Greek to you?

What part of "I gave as one outcome" do you not understand? Do I need to bold the words for emphasization so it would be more clear to you?

If you're concerned about overheat and realism in that regard, ask for an overheat gauge.

I'm not, I gave it as ONE reason to instate a reloading system. Just ONE, like I said, ONE outcome, ONE reason, not THE reason as you seem to think.

If concerned about reloading and game balance, phrase it in terms of reloading.

How? I want reloading because it's cool? Because it's realistic? Because it's canon? In the movies? Logical? Tactical? More fun?

Star Wars is not realistic.

There was never a doubt in my mind about this.

Lasers can be heard in the silent vacuum of space.

I know you're trying to give an explanation of your previous sentence, but in the vacuum of space there wouldn't be a need for overheating prevention either.

You can't use overheat as an argument for reloading because, surprise, I could control my shots to fire in small bursts,

Is that A reason or THE reason? If you used your firing in controlled small bursts, you would be useless in OJP since while you control your bursts you give a jedi the time to recouperate his or her Dodge points. Besides, 2 or 3 seconds in between the shots isn't exactly going to stop the weapon from deteriorating and heating up A LOT.

totally minimizing heat, AND I'D STILL HAVE TO RELOAD IN YOUR SYSTEM unless you are advocating some passive ammo recharging.

A REASON, NOT THE REASON. Stop pinning ONE ARGUMENT up as if it was my whole repertoire, it's not making you seem any brighter either.

Therefore that overheat line of argument is utterly worthless. I repeat, pick one line of argument or you're just going to make yourself look silly.

What part of the concept of "1" do you not understand? We can debate on this all you'd like, my argument was ONE argument!?

Hmmm, there goes Max again going into 'World War' mode again. Just give it up, seriously o.O Not all your ideas are good, as not all my ideas are good, as not all Lathain's ideas are good, etc. If someone disagrees with you and gives a valid reason, why do you feel the need to go into 'World War' mode? This is getting old very fast o.o

*Sigh* You never learn.

Considering that for some peculiar reason you seem to have trouble admitting that that piece of argumentation sucks... you asked for this.

1: And that one outcome, which you have for some stupid reason chosen to defend to the death instaed of admitting it was boneheaded, does not work in favor of your system idea. Nothing else to say on that.

2: Then admit your given reason that dominated roughly half or more of that original post about the idea sucks ass and move on.

3: Out of the 7 listed reasons, only the last two involve gameplay. And both of those are nothing but pure opinion backed up by nothing except your fervent and frenzied wish. That last part also goes for the first.

Realism... It is also not realistic to have three rockets commence near-direct impact with your body and having you survive. Or for your passive resistance to the Force suddenly and inexplicably failing beacuse you decided to hold something a bit heavy. I don't see you complaining about that. OJP has never and will never be consistent in realism by virtue of the fact that it is a game. Therefore I nor anyone else has a reason to bow to this 'reason' for including reload.

Logical... it is equally logical and less of a hassle to claim that levels in all of the energy-based weapons grant a higher-grade or otherwise modified power cell and cooling system, completely eliminating the need for reload since there are no ammo pickups and we could quite easily stop weapons from dropping to facilitate this (considering that lightsaber doesn't drop).

In the movies... And? Kyle Katarn certainly isn't in the movies, should we drop him too? Force Rage, Force Absorb, and the way Mind Trick functions in the game also are not in the movies. OJP and you are inconsistent with this therefore I see no reason to give this any weight at all.

Canon... Considering that canon has basically only thermal detonators with ludicrously huge range, I'm pretty sure this can be safely overlooked. Or we could claim our dets are soime yet-unheard-of-except-in-games Class E or something, which further murders this argument by indicating canon can be pretty much ignored when needed.

Are you done? All of your reasons are basically either made easily irrelevant, or are an opinion, or are simply questionable.

4: Yet you seem to be fixated on inserting realism into something unrealistic. I see.

5: Well at least you admitted you're going on a dumb tangent which needs no response since my statement was support.

6: You're using a gameplay argument to answer a realism counter. That doesn't work, because even if your statement is possibly true MY statement is unquestionably true.

Methinks in a galaxy far far away that a delay to let a weapon cool off would actually help significantly considering advanced cooling systems. In computers and bittorrenting, you can choose to have the files' name and size written to the disk in reserve in one big burst, or have it be written piece by piece as you get the file. Guess which is better for your hard drive. Hint: it's the first thing, a burst followed by relative relaxation. And yes that applies to this argument because heat, mostly constant heat, is what generally causes computer hardware to fail.

7 and 8: Yadda yadda from you, see 1 and 2. Your argument failed, cry more.

Q.E.D.

:drama: I'm not even going to bother reading the past argument posts. Everyone who is in vindictive argument mode, turn off vindictive argument mode or I'll start deleting posts. RAZOR SAID PLAY NICE!!! :p

Anyways. I've made the following changes in my code:

-getting hit by blaster by while running with a saber now does X3 normal damage. I kept walking damage the same since you should still be able to stand and deflect one opponent (whos not using sentry or seeker) pretyy easily.

-getting hit by blaster from behind with a saber also does X3 normal damage.

-All clone rifle shots do the same damage as blaster shots (making primary fire the most damaging in the game.

-blob now costs 100 units to use so hopefully it will be used much less now over primary fire.

-Snapthrow dets now explode on impact.

I'm hoping these changes work for you guys as they seem to be pretty balanced. If you want, I''ll put them at the repository for you guys to try out. If you don't like them, I can always change them back.

:drama: I'm not even going to bother reading the past argument posts. Everyone who is in vindictive argument mode, turn off vindictive argument mode or I'll start deleting posts. RAZOR SAID PLAY NICE!!! :p

Anyways. I've made the following changes in my code:

-getting hit by blaster by while running with a saber now does X3 normal damage. I kept walking damage the same since you should still be able to stand and deflect one opponent (whos not using sentry or seeker) pretyy easily.

-getting hit by blaster from behind with a saber also does X3 normal damage.

-All clone rifle shots do the same damage as blaster shots (making primary fire the most damaging in the game.

-blob now costs 100 units to use so hopefully it will be used much less now over primary fire.

-Snapthrow dets now explode on impact.

I'm hoping these changes work for you guys as they seem to be pretty balanced. If you want, I''ll put them at the repository for you guys to try out. If you don't like them, I can always change them back.

JUST ONEEEEE more? Please? :D

Most of his questions/flames have already been answered by Razor in his previous posts, I just have to quote :D?

Anyway, in 30 minutes from this post I'll be hosting a server with your latest changes via hamachi. If anyone wants to try out OJP with real people, you have teh chance now :)

Edit:

Happy 1k posts!

Archived