Home

Modding possible?

Oh well.

I read that Zanzibar (Correct name, huh?) said that he couldn't release the source files and mod tools... But that was back in 2002. Not it's 2007! If the company (Big Ape) still has the files, is it POSSIBLE that they could release 'em? I have loved this game since I was a little kid, and modding would be a big plus! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

True words. :)

In one of the game's folders, I found a very intresting package called "BIG.Z". 77 MB and it would not surprise me at all if it contained the game's models and textures (Because you can find the sound files, the map files (et cetera) in other folders).

I'll maybe look into this. You never know where it could go...

After reading some in some old topics on the board I've achieved quite useful information.

The BIG.Z folder does contain models, but they are not that useful for us who wants to mod the game. If you changed the Qui-Gon model to the Jar-Jar model (for example), the game would probably crash - because the Jar-Jar model doesn't have the same animations like the Qui-Gon model.

Since the company Big Ape doesn't exist anymore, I don't think Zanzibar use the west@bigape.com mail these days, since it was his job mail. Our only chance for real contact would be if we could get his personal mail somehow.

If we could get in touch with the guy, we must keep in mind that it's one HELLUVA chance that he doesn't own the source files anymore. Well, you never know... maybe they are saved somewhere...

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree, the PC version possibly...

Well, to my knowledge talking about rom images and emulators is okay here on LF provided you have the legal requirements to possess a rom image (the game that the rom is actually OF). It might not be all that different from modding a PC version.

If you managed to get a proper emulator with a rom image (I'm assuming you HAVE the game so this is all legal) and a bit of programs...decompliers/compilers, script tools, resource editor stuff, graphics programs, etc., then I suppose you could remodel TPM.

It's an icky process, but I think it would achieve more or less what you'd want it to do.

Just my 2 cents.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

They lost all the modding tools. Only a kind of "hacker" would be able to create some tools again for modify this game, and I dont know nothing about Reverse Engineering. The question is open, what can we do?.

Edited by Alfa_One

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
I think all of you would be glad to know that I've managed to talk to Zanzibar a week ago. Now I'm just waiting for an answer.

I know its been nearly six years since this has got any attention. I start off simply by saying I have have been piecing together a huge sandbox Star Wars total conversion. I have converted many maps from Bf2 to kotor to the jk games. I have also made many models myself and gathered from hundreds of concepts. I am hugely obsessed with this project and it is massive. I have enjoyed working on this silent project through the years and I cant wait to soon release it to the public. I know it will be very much enjoyed. I remember playing TPM what was it 15 years ago.... wow has it really been that long? Anyway I loved the prequel trilogy and even know this game wasn't 100% synced to the movie it did follow the story. It was one of if not the best sw game I have ever played. Tattooine being my favorite planet and mos espa being my favorite level in TPM, My tc mod is to begin based on there (just as the original Star Wars). I yern to convert the ESPA.B3D into a useable model or even access the big.lab file to see what it contains. Yet through the years as much as ive tried and enough modeling software and plugins to fill a Cray Supercomputer with no avail. I wish I could find a tool for TPM to extract models and textures yet I know this feat is next to impossible.

Could you help me in anyway possible? Have you been able to contact Zanzibar at all this whole time? What would be your suggestions to me?