Home

Thermal detonator enhancement

TheShaman

What about making primary fire throw a long time before detonation TD, and altfire a short time one?

Could be like... 4 seconds for primary fire, and 2 seconds for secondary fire.

That way you could surprise your opponents.

Also maybe thermal should be a bigger explosion though... (maybe like an explosing ship or swoop)

That's one thing that always bugged me about base JA. Thermal Detonators are supposed to be super powerful. Their blast radius should be more than three feet, I think.

I like FM3's system. Thermals have a much bigger blast, but no longer have the 'explode on contact' alt fire.

In Shadows of the empire (the book), it is said a thermal detonator is a mini-nuclear bomb. There are 3 classes of TD : A B C, A being the strongest, then B, and C. B is used in this book, and it is said it has a radius of... guess... 50 metres ! (164 feet or 55 yards for people who don't use the official SI units).

So let's say C is the one we have and has a 5 metres radius, 10 times less. More than basejka's...

I know that we jacked up the radius and damage for rocket launcher, but I don't know about the thermal dets. I agree that it should be larger, but it shouldn't be that much larger. I don't think a sane merc would have a throwable weapon where the blast radius would exceed their ability to run away from the blast.

A thermal detonator shouldn't be used as detonation packs :p It is meant to be thrown AWAY, FAR AWAY... (in a galaxy... whatever).

Do you see how a swoop explodes? I think that could do it. (It's already hard to use enough, so making it powerful can't harm (cept foes :p))

What about the different timers? Do you like the idea?

• 2 weeks later...

I mean the visual effect (it's the only big explosion I can think of). But of course, the range and damage has to be increased as well as the visual explosion, or it would be stupid, you are in the explosion, but get like 2 damage... ridiculous.

Thermal should be at least 2 times stronger than the rocker launcher.

Of course, this difference of timer (fire and altfire) is not an emergency, it's just a little enhancement for the final version. :)

Well you have another choice you know, I just don't know how to get it working.

Thermal explosion is described as being a white colored shockwave that expands and then implodes on itself, disintegrating anything it touches right? Well with some minor tweaking of the DEMP2's secondary "bubble" we could have the same effect!

Well a thermal detonator doesn't implode, but nevermind, I don't want to start arguing about that. It's said in Shadows of the Empire it's a small atomic-bomb. So just a big explosion. But that doesn't matter for the game, the result is the same : ULTRA KILL ! kill... kill......

Archived