Home

Did anyone actually create a new world mod yet?

RellioN

I've seen some tutorials and stuff and I plan to look more into it. If it's not too time consuming I might actually decide to try my hand at making a mod that adds a new world to the game.

I've been looking on some mod sites but I haven't been able to actually find a mod that adds a new world. I'm looking for one that has quests and/or stuff you can interact with.

You talked about making your own world. It is not much time consuming. You can make a perfect own world in less than a day.

Yes but I don't want it to be a copy of another world, which will require atleast some modeling. I don't like half baked mods so it'll include spoken dialogue and lots of detail. Also to make the planet interesting it needs quests that are interesting to do and it needs replay value so that it doesn't become useless after you did the quests and acquired the items.

Yes but I don't want it to be a copy of another world, which will require atleast some modeling. I don't like half baked mods so it'll include spoken dialogue and lots of detail. Also to make the planet interesting it needs quests that are interesting to do and it needs replay value so that it doesn't become useless after you did the quests and acquired the items.

Yes, the modelling might take some time. But the rest; dialogs, quests, creatures, placeables and all don't take much time. I made a test world with three sidequests, lots of creatures, five areas and dialogs in 4 hours. One of the most timetaking thing is to make plans for it and to debugg it.

Has this been investigated thoroughly?

YES, over and over again. It's because there is no known way of creating walkmeshes or lightmaps for custom modules, so you can 'model' a new area, but the area you create is essentially useless as you need walkmeshes (to actually access the map and walk around) and lightmaps (to actually 'see' everything on screen instead of having your character running around in a black abyss). As far as i'm aware walkmeshes are closer to actually being customized and created but lightmaps are definately not, and so like i said functioning modules can't be created without it.

I guess modelling isn't really necessary... we can use existing exteriors and interiors and reskin them to make them look like a whole different place. What about extracting and modifying existing models so that new lightmaps don't have to be created?

Modifying existing modules does this, didn't know that! Rhen Var must be taking you a while then as by the looks of it you've put a lot of work into the reskinning process.

The Coruscant for TSL was a reskin/some model changes and changed lighting of the Dantooine Enclave.

Rhen Var? Can somebody link me to it?

To the author:

No, as far as I know, it is currently impossible to make those things like walkmeshes and whatnot. But if we could get those lightmaps working...well, we'd have more than module revamps floating around.

Rhen Var? Can somebody link me to it?

To the author:

No, as far as I know, it is currently impossible to make those things like walkmeshes and whatnot. But if we could get those lightmaps working...well, we'd have more than module revamps floating around.

Rhen Var is a Works In Progress (WIP) not a finished mod.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=159690

You talked about making your own world. It is not much time consuming. You can make a perfect own world in less than a day.

It is very time consuming...

It takes well more than "less than a day"... try weeks or months.

Yes, the modelling might take some time. But the rest; dialogs, quests, creatures, placeables and all don't take much time. I made a test world with three sidequests, lots of creatures, five areas and dialogs in 4 hours. One of the most timetaking thing is to make plans for it and to debugg it.

A.) We cannot edit the area models to re-arrange them... nor can we 'create' entirely new areas. We can reskin them but that is it.

B.) Creating the neccisary files takes far more time than this poster wants to admit. 5 areas in four hours! Someone is embellishing their facts! It takes longer than this.

Sorry Mindtwistah, but your statements are dubious.

4 hours for five area's, :lol: I doubt that very much, i made a planet mod (a personal one, for friends) the entire thing took me around 5 months to make a 5 area planet, so we can safely say 4 hours for 5 area's is out of the question. ;)

4 hours for five area's, :lol: I doubt that very much, i made a planet mod (a personal one, for friends) the entire thing took me around 5 months to make a 5 area planet, so we can safely say 4 hours for 5 area's is out of the question. ;)

Actually very possible to make a planet in 4 hours. I just took the Dantooine jedi temple, korriban sith academy, Lehon beach, Yavin Station and the star forge last level (where you face Malak).

I took away every placeable and character in all modules. Then in the Dantooine jedi temple I put a datapad called "test_att" on a corpse and some commoners to. They would just say "1" and "2" and "3".(I wanted to test my "commoners say different things every time you talk to them"-skill)

On the Lehon Beach I put a Human Male Asian Old with some dialog lines. He said where I could find the datapad "test_att".

On the star forge final level I placed a sith soldier. He had 3 dialog options. One where you could ask him about the mod. The second where you could ask him how old he was. The third where you could attack him.

On the sith academy I put a human male. I named him atton. He would say that he had lost his datapad. If you could find it a dialog node would be accesable where you would say "I have your datapad".

You would get 100 credits for the datapad.

You could also talk about the sith soldier on the star forge level with him. He would warn you to go there.

On the Yavin station you would find a Twi'lek called Jabba the Twi'lek (Yes, I ran out of ideas.)

He said that he killed Suvam Tan and took over his shop. You could choose to talk to him like a civilised person or attack him for murdering Suvam. If you choosed to talk to him he would give you two missions. One where he wanted you to kill the sith on the star forge last level and the second where he wanted the datapad "test_att". So you could choose to either give him the datapad or give it to Atton.

And there you got it, a planet in less than five hours. Although it wasn't a *real* planet, I was just testing my skills, it had the basics of a planet.

Of course if you want to make a good planet it will take months.

Of course if you want to make a good planet it will take months.

You just rendered your above statements about the time it takes 'moot' with this opposing statement.

When making posts please try and understand that people who know very little about modding these games might read your posts here and get the wrong impression of what is actually possible and how much effort is involved. hence is the reason I reply here, to prevent that.

Archived