Home

It don't shine...

RC-1162

I recently installed KotOR into my laptop and fired it up, but as soon as the game loaded, I noticed something was very wrong: nothing shined any more. I mean things like the Sith Armor, the lightsaber hilts, etc. The lightsabers just look like a bunch of non-reflective gray tubes. And the Sith Armor is the same: it is dull gray and the edges of the Armor sections are outlined by a black line. Please tell me what I should do to correct this, will I be forced to re-install?

Oh, and I've patched it to v1.03.

I recently installed KotOR into my laptop and fired it up, but as soon as the game loaded, I noticed something was very wrong: nothing shined any more. I mean things like the Sith Armor, the lightsaber hilts, etc.

Have you played KOTOR earlier on that same computer with functional shininess? What type of graphics card does the computer have?

I had the same problem a few years ago when I had a fairly old graphics card (Geforce 2 GTS), which was solved when I upgraded to a Radeon 9800. I think you'll need a graphics card that supports Shader Model 2 or something like that for the shininess to work.

If it worked earlier with that computer/graphics card make sure you have the proper graphics drivers (not necessarily the latest, since the game is old) and latest Direct X version installed.

Archived