Home

total newbie needing help

elfdutch

Hello everyone,

Today i bought Jedi Outcast. Ok, i'm a bit late, 6 years after the release, so what :p

I really want to get into online fighting. ill probably be owned for a long time but thats not a problem.

I could not find a total newbie tutorial on here. (if there is on im sorry for not looking well enough)

I would really appreciate all the help you can give me. What additional files do i need? which servers are best to play on. is it still being played online at all? how do i set up my game. Ive read around the net and see a lot of updates/patches, but am not sure which one to use.

So, here's a 38 yr old dutch guy in need of some help. I would love to sabrefight some jedi's after the kids have gone to bed. :)

You are planing your own server ? or play on other servers ?

i plan to play on other servers. Wouldnt even know how to create my own.

I read a lot about patches and mods. And how certain patches do not allow you to play on certain servers.

For the moment all i have i just the game. I tried multiplayer yesterday but it did not find any servers. To be honest i didnt try for very long, so ill have to try again later. I just want to make certain i have all the necessary files before trying the online experience.

I think there is a patch 1.04 for Jedi Outcast, thats the one you need, forget about mods for now.

When you search for server, be sure that you search on "internet", not "Network or Local".

May the force really be with you. :p

Ok thanks a lot for the info.

I have seen the patch around somewhere and will give it a go.

I do need a lot of force, and if that doesnt work ill be back with more questions.

I think there is a patch 1.04 for Jedi Outcast, thats the one you need, forget about mods for now.

When you search for server, be sure that you search on "internet", not "Network or Local".

May the force really be with you. :p

well, it worked like a charm. i played a few duals online.....and got owned bigtime. lost all 4 of them never had a chance :)

i guess thats the way its supposed to be.

all i need now is catch up on the 6 years ive lost.

thanks again for your help.

btw...seems i need to download some multiplayer maps since i could not enter some of the servers because of this.

any suggestions of frequently used maps?

well, i did as you said and its getting a little better...just a little though.

i played a lot of ffa today. was challanged to a couple of duels and even managed to win 2 of them. great feeling. on the other hand i still get owned, but man what an experience.

i'm surprised that there are still so many people online so many years after the game coming out.

Whats your opinion about jedi acadamy? is the online experience as good as outcast, or better perhaps? i read that there are dual sabres too.

Well Jedi Outcast is good, but Jedi Academy is better, its like its closer to the starwars world, with right configuration on a duel server, the game is perfect.

I do have my own Jedi Academy Duel Server, but i havnt played for kind of some time now, but its still runing.

You should try to duel vs Professionel Staffsaber players, its pure fun, they stress you so much, you dont know what to do and where to run and hide. :p

It then i normally think "May the force be with me, but the force is with him"

May the force be with you.

Well Jedi Outcast is good, but Jedi Academy is better, its like its closer to the starwars world, with right configuration on a duel server, the game is perfect.

I do have my own Jedi Academy Duel Server, but i havnt played for kind of some time now, but its still runing.

You should try to duel vs Professionel Staffsaber players, its pure fun, they stress you so much, you dont know what to do and where to run and hide. :p

It then i normally think "May the force be with me, but the force is with him"

May the force be with you.

I agree with that, Jedi Academy is way better.

There are better maps and mods released for it too..

Is acadamy better with regards to blocking? On outcast mp duels most ppl use the red stance and hack away. (well thats what i do anyway :) )

I find it hard to block their attacks. On most duels i see ppl jumping, rolling, summersaulting and basically avoiding each other.

It would be so much better if you could just stay on the ground and block each others attack, making for a more realistic fight.

And jedi, what do you mean with the right configuration on a duel server?

What i mean is that if you play FFA or Power duel which is 1 vs 2, then i have enabled friendly hit so you can hurt your partner. ( Standard friendly hit is disabled )

Also if you walk into your partner with saber open, and nothing happens, i have enabled so it takes hps and hurts your partner.

Anything else ? :p

i would also like to know how the servers work. For example. Can i set up my own server so me and my buddy can fight some duels on there? I see the option of create server in the game. Does it work the same like creating rooms in other games?

In that case i could set up a server, password protect it and play with my friends just to get some extra practice.

ok, so i just bought Jedi Acadamy off ebay. I found some official patch, version 1.01 and patched the game. I tried to go online, but i can't get on. Its saying server is using protocol 25, whatever that means.

Any solutions for this problem?

Thanks for any help

ok, so i just bought Jedi Acadamy off ebay. I found some official patch, version 1.01 and patched the game. I tried to go online, but i can't get on. Its saying server is using protocol 25, whatever that means.

Any solutions for this problem?

Thanks for any help

The protocol message simply means that the server is running a different version of the game to the one you have. Since there has only been the one patch, probably the server is unpatched. It could be mod related, but it's usually the base game *edit* I just checked, the patched game runs protocol 26.*edit*

Also, if you're wanting to play Jedi Academy online, I'd also recommend downloading the Japlus mod. While it has it's critics, 90% (or so) of servers are running it and you won't be able to join the servers without it.

You can get it from: http://www.japlus.net/

I went for as long as I could without it, but couldn't find anywhere to play.

thanks for the reply gothic.

What exactly does the Japlus mod do? And also, will it still allow me to play on the non modded servers? I do want to have a big offer of servers for the game, so if this mod is the option then ill gladly install it.

thanks for the reply gothic.

What exactly does the Japlus mod do? And also, will it still allow me to play on the non modded servers? I do want to have a big offer of servers for the game, so if this mod is the option then ill gladly install it.

What the mod does, according to the readme is "the mod is designed to give UI, animation and feature enhancement to your client side game." Most servers run it (I think) as it adds many server administrator functions that aren't there in the base game.

You'll be able to play just fine on unmodded servers, the mod only loads if you join a server that has it running. It will widen the amount of servers you're able to play on. Without it, you'll be able to see all the servers that have it running in the sever browser, you just won't be able to join the servers if you try.

Archived