Home

Non-CD music for MI1?

speon

Hi all, I have a CD copy of The Secret of Monkey Island (both the 1992 disc and the 1996 "Madness" disc) and was curious if there is any way to play that version (enhanced icon UI etc.) without the CD audio music - e.g. with the floppy/256 color Roland or AdLib music? (I'm guessing the CD version doesn't even have SoundBlaster music, just the sfx.)

I ask because I'm trying to set the game up to run in DOSBox exclusively from the hard drive, and I have an MT-32 module. To get the music to work, I'd have to make an image of the entire CD to mount as a virtual drive through another program, which I could do, but would prefer not to, as I'd rather use DOSBox's built in directory/drive mounting. This unfortunately won't work in this case however, as the music on the M1 CD is in red book format, and I'm unable to copy that information as straight files that Windows can interpret.

I'm even more interested in this as I recently discovered that the CD version has Roland sfx, which apparently the floppy versions did not!

Thanks in advance.

I guess you could just copy the CD to your harddrive, without the audio files. I can't remember the shortcut commands when you boot the game, but if you look around you'll be able to find it - something like 'C:\MONKEY\monkey r' to get it to play Roland sound.

Or of course, use ScummVM (google it!) and you can choose which audio to use when you load the game.

Good luck!

Hey that Roland music is pretty cool, lol, just tried it. You seem to be right about the Sfx; it was music only (floppy version) but the CD version played the sfx no problem. The CD version doesn't seem to have any embedded music, and relies on the CD tracks. I guess my only real suggestion would be to play the floppy version in dosbox and to use scummvm or vdmsound instead of dosbox. By the way... how do you create a mixed-mode ISO? I know how to burn it, no problem, but not create an ISO that has all the tracks embedded into it??

Actually, I just resolved this same issue with my setup...in order for the audio tracks to play, a .cue file needs to exist along with the ISO files. My ripping program had an option to generate this additional file.

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=15803

^This thread helped me out with that...

In regards to my previous question, it turns out that DOSBox can boot image files, so I just ended up having it point to a virtual copy of the Madness CD. It takes up a bit extra HD space for a full disc image, but I can live with that.

Archived