Home

Monkey Island 1 remake - come on

paprik123456

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can somebody help me with MI 1 remake? I am very good background artist and I need character artist and programmer....thank you

Second question: Can somebody take pics out from MI 1 game and also updated put them back?? If there is any profi man, contact me... I would also make MI 1 look better and put new pics to old engine.....thank you..

I've been wanting to do this for a long, long time. The only way it can be done is by re-creating MI in another engine, such as AGS, which would be very easy and pretty sensible, too.

It's not a popular idea, though, but I do believe if it was done well, it could be really good. Any chance I could see some samples of your work?

EDIT: Just found your website.......... WOW! Nice stuff! I would love to help out any way I can... I can easily help with the coding aspects. Your work on your site is really nice. I wonder if a few digital touch-ups could remove the '3Dness' a bit and soften the edges, as it were? Stunning stuff!

Nice work, Patrik, although your lighting and texturing might need some work.

Since you're working with 3dsmax, I'd suggest you'd take a look at the free versions of VRay or Brazil, just to test how you get along with either one. I still prefer VRay, but that might just be because I'm using it for years now, and I got used to it.

Modeling- and composition-wise your images look really good though.

Agreed, I like those backgrounds.

There isn't currently a tool to replace MI1 backgrounds and even if someone were to create one it wouldn't necessarily be right for you as the V5 SCUMM engine is limited to 256 colour backgrounds. As Thunderpeel says, a remake in a more modern engine would be a better (albeit legally dubious) option.

Very nice!

I can be of no help here, but there was a Maniac Mansion remake that came out a few years ago (Maniac Mansion Deluxe) and as far as I know, those guys haven't been accosted by the LucasArts legal team. But I would imagine Monkey Island is a property they would defend more aggresively than Maniac Mansion - perhaps you could contact the MMDX team and see if they got permission (or the equivalent of) before releasing?

Yep, I was thinking of MMDX when I recommended AGS... They did a very decent job with that software, so I don't really think there'd be any need to use anything else.

This is my favourite one:

http://www.3dspacek.webz.cz/img/3dgallery/Monkey4-l.jpg

Looks 99% perfect! Amazing! Some of the other stuff (especially Melee Town Centre) looks a bit blocky, but I imagine some digital painting TLC could sort that out. Great job! Really, really nice!

Hey guys. I'm a programmer, but I don't think I would be able to devote enough time to a project such as this (which is a great idea by the way). There are other options than AGS as well. The tool that I use is called SLUDGE (a programming language meant for adventure games) made by Tim Furnish (creator of 'Out of Order' for those who have played it). It's great, free and a really flexible programming language. You can get SLUDGE at http://www.hungrysoftware.com/tools/sludge/ . You should check it out.

Absolutely love the 3D backgrounds, my favourite is probably the shop. Looks a little like a Grim Fandango. It would be nice to see a 3D Guybrush wandering around these environments, I don't think AGS or Sludge could really do them justice. Get someone to write it in C using OpenGL. :)

Hi guys,.... I have got a few offers to help me with that project and its great, thank you. Backgrounds which you can see on my webside are 1-2 years old so, I am fixing their problems now. Anyway, I take any help with backgrounds, characters,items etc. If you are skillful 3D or 2D artist, let me know, but you must be very skillful, we dont want to make a crap...right? What I am looking for right now is painter, somebody, who will make our 3D backgrounds looking like MI 3 or Runaway. Somebody who will repaint it. Its not easy job, but we wants to use 2D characters, not 3D...and keep old style.... so guys, lets make a demo.

are you going to have people do voices for the characters for this remake? I could round up a whole cast and I could do Guybrush's voice if you wanted to have voices. you can hear me in the Changes at School movie on this website http://www.movies.lionhead.com/studio/snakeeater42 if you don't dont want to have voices. ok thats cool I CANT WAIT FOR THIS. :)

Personally, I'd suggest combining Monkey1 and 2 into a single game. That's what Gilbert would have done, if he could. I'd also suggest making the game more difficuilt by adding to the puzzles to make them more complicated; or by introducing new puzzles. Using this method it would also be possible to lengthen the other parts of the game; seeing as how Part 1 takes up more then half the game as it is. Good work on the backgroungs, though... I do see a problem with this one:

http://www.3dspacek.webz.cz/img/3dgallery/Monkey4-l.jpg

however if you're thinking about having them painted I don't forsee it as being a problem once it's been painted. You might want to use the digital paintings for MI1 and real paintings for MI2 as this is exactly what LEC did! I think you should aim more for the look of M1 and M2 then CMI; CMI used different background artists (mainly Tiller) who didn't work on the first two; and thus was a very different style.

Heh, I'm already thinking of the details... like make sure doors are painted open if they can be opened... I'm sure you don't need me to say any more.

Man! I´ve just signed to this forum, only to answer to this post. MI1 is my favorite game ever, and I'd love to help, any way I can. I don't know if you'll need a programmer, but I'm experienced in graphics programming. Even if I cannot help, I'm excited to see what you are achieving.

I'm glad to know that you're planning to use 2D characters. MI4 was a little bit disappointing to me just because the 3D characters.

Can't expect to see a demo!

And congratulatios for your great artwork!

Yes the idea of SMI and MILR in a 'monkey-mix' sounds brilliant, esspecially 3D, slightly enhanced graphics, although you couldn't add to the puzzles of make the harder, it would ruin it, Unless you do a 'MI puzzle fantasia' and a 'over the monkey business mayhem' version or something and the characters you should do in 3D but dress it down to 2d looking, like simpsons movie will be.

Also i make games, sort of, I use clickteam(.com)'s MultiMediaFusion which does the basic game modeling layout, but doesn't require code, so i can't code in other words.

I could probably help out for some 3d modeling. I use a free program called Anim8or and I've gotten good compared to when I started. I know exactly how to model to shapes from box modeling from a simple cube to extruding it and shapping it by cutting new vertices. I am still poor at making heads and skinning mesh correctly to a bone. But for simple objects or background you bet I'll help! I have a old site http://www.freewebs.com/bacstab but it lacks proper layout and enough content. My new site will be http://www.freewebs.com/gamehobbyist. My new site will have some examples of my 3d work. And for email : madghetto12@hotmail .com and I also use IRC chat (irc.afternet.org #gamedev) and (irc.bigbluecup.com #ags)

Great work so far, making the fangame for MI that I've been making has been real hard. It's cool that you want to dedicate yourself to remaking a entire game th

ats already made.

..so actually is not my engine. It's a "mod" for the RealityFactory engine (based on the old-but-still-interesting Genesis3d). I called it s.c.u.R.F. (script creation Utility for Reality Factory), the idea was to write somenthing that could be moved with simple scripts. Actually you only have to fill the world with entities with an editor and place numbers and strings in the scripts (mainly arrays identifying the entity index). It should have been a complete creation system but my time for developping is quite limited right now, so I'm switching my projects again toward the creation of a game in a team. I can't develop, create demos, write docuentation: too work for a person only. Instead I can use my system as main programmer with other artists.

The engine is intended to create 3rd person 3d adventure games but I'm thinking a workaround to have 2.5D (still not ready).

The website is here:

scurfproject.co.nr

You can download the English demos showing the capabilities of the engine.

scuRF Demo2 (English)

The demo mainly shows the conversation system, featuring:

- multiphrase

- multiple animation for each phrase

- attribute or trigger dependant conversation logic (add/remove reply option depending by triggers or inventory attributes)

- multiple camera setup, including fixed or moving camera, targetting the player or the NPC

- Characters can carry objects

- improved cinematic system, used also for in-game sequences

- Translation system: easily translate your game interface and objects name. This data are separated from the core system.

- complex interactions (try to use the pipe on the trash... Wink )

- conversation audio implemented

- working save/load

Walthrough:Pick the pipe. Use the pipe with the trash. Pick the newspaper. Talk with the woman. Select: option 2, option 2, option 2, option 1 and then "ho questo giornale". Notice that this reply option will be displayed only if you pick up the newspaper.

some videos are on youtube:

Video:

Early Stages:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVbGkHkpPGs

Basic Action + Book Reader:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APe6XK37EfU

Complex Action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfLeVUzuyaw

Cinematic + ChangeLevel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8BFV-PbJT4

Head Turning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP24Dqa_J8U

early stages for conversation system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt4I5Nam6xw

First time posting!!

What a cool idea!

I would certainly buy it!

I would like to help you but my skills in designing and scripting are really bad...

I could be a tester though...

And I'm French so could traduce the game in French!!

It's great to see such enthusiasm! I'll happily give whatever I can, whenever I can. Please don't make these mistakes: Making the graphics 1600x1200 or whatever. 800x600 is more than enough (CMI was only 640x480 and I think that was fine). Don't bother making it 3D. 2D is difficult enough and good enough. I think making a demo is very good idea, because it will be easier to finish than the whole game and it will generate more enthusiasm (provided it went well!).

Great stuff!

Wait, what? How is producing the graphics with a high resolution a bad thing? It's not like they can't be scaled down for people with smaller resolutions like 800x600.

I don't know if you use an LCD monitor, but if you do you ought to be aware of the fact that anything other than the monitor's native resolution invariably looks like absolute crap, and this goes for any any all of LucasArts' older adventure games. It's no different to getting a picture like this:

tpav.gif

And then doing this:

tpav_big.jpg

Because the LCD just stretches it up like you would in Photoshop. It has no ability to rearrange the pixel dot pitch like a CRT does (which gives you that squarey effect on lower resolutions).

The definition of an LCD is a blessing and a curse. :¬:

I'm no 3D artist but I do consider myself quite the voice artist. If I can contribute to your project in this way I would love to do so. I'm from the Netherlands but I can do accentless english, and a lot of accents. PM me if you need some samples.

Archived