Home

Saber combat and dullness

Originally Posted by PoiuyWired

YES YES YES!!! Dettachable bodyparts is a MUST in a game involving lightsabers. I mean, thats a reason why the dismemberment code for the JK series make the game much better. It makes you geel mroe like chopping rather than tickling your target to death. Plus, there is no need for blood, just parts of seared off (usually) armor. Now, I wonder if you can utilise broken enemy parts as a means of attack, like force push them into a target via high speed.

...lightsabers don't chop stuff of..they aren't swords.

They're just caysing microscopic burn wounds according to some SW material. You can see this in episode 2, where Anakin's wound is burned close instantly. The only reason his arm got severed was because of the force push Dooku used right after.

I really didn't like the dismemberment code, tbh. It made me feel a rambo and slaughtering madman instead of a refined Warrior Monk with an ancient weapon. Not that there's anything wrong with rambo, but I liked the original JK better, where you can see the burn wounds on the characters, like it's meant to be. But that's me being a purist. Your idea with the armor parts will make a very cool game as well, with all the severed parts being usable :)

@Topic:

I hope they throw in some of the stances from the movies/Kotor 2. It already seems cool with Maris Brood's new type of sabers, and the apprentice holding his own saber in a new way. I think it will be good

They're just caysing microscopic burn wounds according to some SW material. You can see this in episode 2, where Anakin's wound is burned close instantly. The only reason his arm got severed was because of the force push Dooku used right after.

There are plenty of instances in the movies where a saber wielder lops off body parts from their opponent (Obi-Wan vs. Thug in the cantina in Episode 4, Vader vs. Luke in Episode 5, Maul vs. Qui-Gon in Episode 1, Dooku vs. Anakin in Episode 2, Anakin vs. Dooku and Anakin vs. Windu in Episode 3 etc), most of them not accompanied by any apparent use of the Force. Thus I'd say it's reasonable to assume that a lightsaber alone is quite capable of severing body parts while cauterizing the wound.

That said I'm not that big a fan of dismemberment in games, leaving mutilated enemies behind feels kind of gross, and it would make combat quite annoying if saber-wielding enemies could do the same to you. That, and it would constantly remind me of the Knight vs. Arthur scene in Monty Python and I wouldn't be able to take combat seriously. :)

Well, remember those cute little poor harmless battledroids getting chipped into spare parts while they are gently releasing beams of light upon the jedis. Yes, Lightsabers do cause dismemberment, and it is kinda stupid to leave dead bodies jsut falling on the fall w/o any sign of damage whatsoever, while you have effects teashing anything from walls to giant pillars to vehicles.

I don't care if the dismemberment is only "lego style" but still, do it if possable.

I read in a preview that Hayden Blackman and the other producers said that The Force Unleashed was not a duel sim. While I understand this it makes me worried that no matter how awesome the Force powers are, the game will become a Force bash fest, flinging stormtroopers around gets teidious after awhile. Im hoping for some lightsaber action as well. Lightsaber duels are a part of the Star Wars saga as anything else so I hope there is some in the game.

Then how they're supposed to kill/incapacitate? It would be better to take barber razors to the battlefield then. Of course they dismember, but it's highly coagulant, reason why we don't see much spilled blood.

I hope they throw in some of the stances from the movies/Kotor 2. It already seems cool with Maris Brood's new type of sabers, and the apprentice holding his own saber in a new way. I think it will be good

Good idea. I'll make a thread for that. If it's implemented, then it should be rapidly changed by a touch on a determined button, otherwise, it'll just break the action sequences.

There are plenty of instances in the movies where a saber wielder lops off body parts from their opponent (Obi-Wan vs. Thug in the cantina in Episode 4, Vader vs. Luke in Episode 5, Maul vs. Qui-Gon in Episode 1, Dooku vs. Anakin in Episode 2, Anakin vs. Dooku and Anakin vs. Windu in Episode 3 etc), most of them not accompanied by any apparent use of the Force. Thus I'd say it's reasonable to assume that a lightsaber alone is quite capable of severing body parts while cauterizing the wound.

That said I'm not that big a fan of dismemberment in games, leaving mutilated enemies behind feels kind of gross, and it would make combat quite annoying if saber-wielding enemies could do the same to you. That, and it would constantly remind me of the Knight vs. Arthur scene in Monty Python and I wouldn't be able to take combat seriously. :)

Well, Dismemberment should only happen during the last hit of a target where their HP are all out. Plus, dead bodies do disappear after a while I assume like in all games. Also, there is no much of blood to speak of.

Granted, there are special cases of blood oozing out on a limb removed by a lightsaber, but that usually only happen when one is drunk on tatooine.

I'm interested to see how the tonfun saber combat will be implemented (as seen in image 32 from starwars.com).

YYYYEAH baby!

I started a thread in the Kotor 3 unknown regions about it whe I first came here...I was so busy selling a sort of strider hiryu design that I completely forgot about this one. It is the least fallible I've seen. I am definitely interested to see THIS babe's lightsabe style. Just a thought that its history should be this: this form and type of saber should actually be an ancient one developed long ago like around the invention of the first lightsaber--but owing to the fact that it required quite a bit more aggressiveness and even a slight bit of underhandedness to its form it was shunned by jedi as a precarious form. While not incomplete as Juyo was considered to be, its mentality fostered too much emphasis on ferocity and combat to be suitable for the jedi.

.......and the twisted irony is that a jedi is now using it to save her life. :laughing:

While this will not be a dueling sim true to life (one can only wish, huh?), I think it should have more options than even the live action JK3. A left handed option--lefties represent!

To be fair there might not be a lightsaber style for lefties at all, ot at least none is know for the time being. Like the katana lightsaber style are probably practiced as a right-handed style, even for lefthanders. Granted, there are probably a few lefthand moves, but probably much less focused than the righthanded ones.

So if you are a leftie and wish to use a lefthand saber style you would face some problem. Well, for one you would have to somewhat "reinvent" a few of the moves. Simply swap your hands probably will not work well, unless you are also facing a lefthander with a lefthand style for some reason. But put it this way, if you can succeed in developing such style you would be deadlier than normal, due to unfamiliarity from the enemy side. Oh, there is the RL rumor of the ancient swordmaster Musashi being a lefthander with lefthand style himself...

Archived