Home

Darth Bane sequel coming in December 2007

Char Ell

Whoa. Surprise, surprise! A hardcover sequel to Darth Bane: Path of Destruction will be hitting bookshelves on December 26, 2007. :freakout:According to Sue Rostoni of Lucas Licensing this book is the replacement for the cancelled Darth Plagueis novel.

I guess and hope that Karpyshyn had already started on this Darth Bane sequel before this announcement. If not, well, I don't know. 4-5 months to write a full length sequel doesn't seem like a lot of time. I have yet to read Path of Destruction but will rectify that shortly when it debuts in paperback at the end of this month. :D

While Im still sad that the Plagueis novel was shut down, a sequel for Path of Destruction seems good enough, I would like to know how Zannah beats Bane
I'm not too disappointed at not having the Darth Plagueis novel. I look at Darth Bane: Path of Destruction as the first of the chronicles of the Sith Rule of Two and now we'll get the second installment of this story. I can see this developing into several novels which will eventually get to the timeframe where Darth Plagueis enters the scene. Whether it will play out the way I think it should is another matter wide open for debate however. :D

Wow, it's about time they get that story out.
How do you figure? IIRC the hardcover for Darth Bane: POD was released last November. This Darth Bane sequel wasn't even in the plan until end of May or beginning of June but will be on bookshelves at the end of this December. Going from no plan for a sequel to putting one in stores within 7 months seems incredibly fast to me.

Mr. Karpyshyn wrote the following on his starwars.com blog posted on June 28:

Just to be clear - we haven't officially locked down the title yet. And, no, I wasn't lying back in the spring when I said I didn't know if the sequel was coming... the deal only came together a couple weeks ago.

So that begs the question...

Isn't six months a rather short time line for a novel to hit the shelves?

Answer: Yes - novels usually have a lead time of 12 months or more.

Which begs another question...

Isn't this going to suck because it's a rush job?

Answer: No. Absolutely not. And here's why...

You can read his blog to find out his reasons but I'm still kind of leery about how this novel is going to turn out due to it's short timeframe. Mr. Karpyshyn is convinced it's quite doable so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, for now.

• 1 month later...

I liked the Darth Bane: Path of Destruction novel. It was a lot more coherent than the Jedi vs Sith graphic novel set in the same time period, and gave a lot more detail about the both the Jedi and Siths' motivations for what the characters in both groups did.

I'm looking forward to the sequel, and hoping that it's not too much of a rush job. Actually I'm more interested in a Darth Bane era novel and the institution of a rule of two, than seeing Darth Plaguesis, though I would like to see something like that.

I keep hoping that we'll see the history of the Sith from Bane to Sidius in one large epic, like Jordowski did for his series metabarons, which was a multi generational epic that gave 4 episodes to each generation where the next generation would kill off the father of the previous generation to inherit the title of metabaron.

• 1 month later...

Drew Karpyshyn has finished writing this new novel, had it reviewed by his editors, and has made a few adjustments. So basically the novel is almost ready to go to press. He also thinks Rule of Two has a good chance of being approved as the actual title of the book.

People can read his latest updates on his StarWars.com blog here.

While Im still sad that the Plagueis novel was shut down, a sequel for Path of Destruction seems good enough, I would like to know how Zannah beats Bane

I don't think she will. I think Bane will be killed by the Jedi hero, Johun Othone. Zannah would probably be injured and assumed killed, but survive and find a new apprentice.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think she will. I think Bane will be killed by the Jedi hero, Johun Othone. Zannah would probably be injured and assumed killed, but survive and find a new apprentice.

I guess we just have to read the book to find out, and I wanted the Plagueis book cause I wanted to know if he created Anakin or something like that, its a question that has always drilled my skull, where did Anakin come from? But well, I'm just gonna have to wait for it :)

hey i have already made a thread about this it called darth bane the rule of two
So you did. Unfortunately you didn't see that I started this thread almost a full 3 months before you started yours. :xp::D

I guess we just have to read the book to find out, and I wanted the Plagueis book cause I wanted to know if he created Anakin or something like that
I don't know about Johun killing off Darth Bane. If that does happen then Johun will need to die too so as to keep the Sith's existence hidden from the Jedi. IIRC the Jedi in TPM thought the Sith had been wiped out for a millenium. If Karpyshyn is going to stick with the established canon then any Jedi that discovers the existence of the Sith in the 1,000 years preceding TPM will of necessity need to die before being able to pass that knowledge on to other Jedi or if they don't die then some other method would need to be employed to prevent the Jedi Order at-large from learning of the Sith's existence.

I guess we just have to read the book to find out, and I wanted the Plagueis book cause I wanted to know if he created Anakin or something like that, its a question that has always drilled my skull, where did Anakin come from? But well, I'm just gonna have to wait for it :)

Actually, I always thought it was cool that it was left an open question and a mystery.

So you did. Unfortunately you didn't see that I started this thread almost a full 3 months before you started yours. :xp::D

I don't know about Johun killing off Darth Bane. If that does happen then Johun will need to die too so as to keep the Sith's existence hidden from the Jedi. IIRC the Jedi in TPM thought the Sith had been wiped out for a millenium. If Karpyshyn is going to stick with the established canon then any Jedi that discovers the existence of the Sith in the 1,000 years preceding TPM will of necessity need to die before being able to pass that knowledge on to other Jedi or if they don't die then some other method would need to be employed to prevent the Jedi Order at-large from learning of the Sith's existence.

They said nearly a millennium. And they knew about the Rule of Two.

It would not be long, however, before Bane's fledgling order was rediscovered by the Jedi and (once again) thought eliminated. The Jedi discovered both the new Rule of Two and the identity of Darth Bane, but did not foresee that the new Sith he had founded would long survive Bane's death.

Hmmm. Good point. I didn't think about that. But if you think that using Wookieepedia proves it then I remain unconvinced. I'll need an actual SW source for that. :)

Hmm, straight from horse's mouth you want. Very well:

Always TWO there are. A master and an apprentice, no more, no less.

So the Jedi Order did find out of the Rule of Two, and if Yoda's comment is any indication, they had multiple encounters with them before they (thought they) wiped them out "nearly a millennium" before TPM.

That gives the GFFA writers some room to manuever. TPM is 32 BBY. Bane reforms the Sith Order in 1000 BBY. Most of ROT is 990 BBY. I would estimate that this year, the Jedi gets wind of Bane's reformed Sith Order and the Rule of Two, due to Johun's pursuit of Bane. The Jedi familiarize themselves with this new Sith Order as they battle it, finally destroying it, or so they believe, in 982 BBY, 950 years before TPM. 950 years is "nearly a millennium", hence Mace Windu's comment in TPM.

So a proposed timeline of how things could POSSIBLY work out:

990 BBY - Bane killed by Johun. Zannah injured/presumed killed after duel with Darovit on Russan, and becomes new master, trains new apprentice.

982 BBY - The current active Dark Lord (Zannah or maybe Darth Cognus?) is killed by Jedi, and with his/her death, the Sith are presumed extinct. Having encountered multiple sets of Sith Lords who operate in pairs, it is assumed that the Rule of Two is now a permanent fixture to Sith philosophy, hence Yoda's line 950 years later.

Archived