Home

WWE superstar Chris Benoit dead...

Nalukai

well its not right to trash the dead

Why? Because you like the particular dead in question? So if I had something bad to say about, say...Ted Bundy for instance, you'd still be on here saying things to me that don't make any sense? I doubt it.

think about it if someone you knew in your family killed someone in a drunk driving accident would you trash them because of that? probably not

I honestly laughed when I read that. I would bitch to no end about someone killing other people by driving drunk, ESPECIALLY if it were one of my family members. Are you serious? I hope not, because you're pretty funny.

all im saying is dont post stuff like that it isnt right

i know what he did was bad but still

Don't post stuff that you don't agree with because if you disagree, then it must not be right? Well, all I can tell you, is never fear! You apparently have friends in the moderator department who will guarantee that I can't post something that might fall short of your high standards.

Ah, if only people say such good things about all of us when we die.

After all, what have we accomplished?

Not killing our families or ourselves? Pretty noteworthy, I'd say.

I realize celebrities are no more important in God's eyes than any other human being and we've all gotta go sometime, but seriously, whaa? At least show some respect for his family, c'mon!

If you'll read my post before your staff has a chance to dick around with or otherwise edit it, you'll see that I mentioned it being a shame that he took two people with him. Those two people, as you may or may not know, are his family.

Does every death notice need to be greeted with a tough guy "ha ha good riddance" kind of retort?

No, but certainly in the case of a coward who used his massive, steroid enhanced physique to carry out two homicides on people a fraction of his size and strength, sure it does. And I say again in my manliest tough guy voice: GOOD RIDDANCE.

Awhile back there was a fake rumor started that Paris Hilton had been stabbed to death. I know for a fact that if it were true, within hours you'd have people posting cheap jokes about it. If such a thing had happened, even though I can't stand to see her on TV and think she's one of the most annoying spoiled rich celebs ever, I wouldn't gloat over her death or engage in that sort of thing. It's just really tasteless. The same goes for anybody else in the news, famous or not.

The chief difference in these two situations, as far as I can tell, is that Paris Hilton hasn't murdered any women or children to my knowledge. If she had done so, people most likely would say negative things about her, and I think it would be appropriate, even if it were "tasteless". Hell, all she had to do to get numerous threads FULL of negative comments posted about her on LF was be sentenced to a little jail time for DUI or whatever it was, and be annoying. Chris Benoit did something far more heinous, and is a pro wrestler, making him doubly annoying. But he gets a thread full of "RIP Chris! You were an awesome wrestler! I watched you when I was 6! It's like he was almost a real wrestler or something! I'm gonna miss him!" And it's that way everywhere you go on the internet. Not just here. I find that to be pretty bizarre...But meh, whatever.

Not killing our families or ourselves? Pretty noteworthy, I'd say.

I'd say not killing people is what we're all supposed to do, obviously!

My point is that when some "celebrity" dies, somebody always has to say that it's a good thing, because they were not entertained by said celebrity.

While you and I both agree that murdering people, especially your family, is heinous, you also expressed the following bit of caring and intelligence:

No. I can't show a little bit of respect. I have no respect for A: Large, oiled up, roided out, sweaty, muscular men who make a living wearing womens panties and rolling around on a padded surface with other large, oiled up, roided out, sweaty, muscular men that are also wearing womens panties. Or B: Large, oiled up, roided out, sweaty, muscular men who make a living wearing womens panties and rolling around on a padded surface with other large, oiled up, roided out, sweaty, muscular men that are also wearing womens panties, and kill women and children.

Furthermore, I wasn't disrespectful to fans of wrestling. Ever. Wow yourself, and read next time.

Of course you said this after commenting to me. Subtle message: Wrestlers are gay, they deserve to die.

And I realize too a lot of wrestlers end up dead from steroid abuse. Now I'm sure nobody held a gun to their heads getting them to shoot up, but it's the same sort of thing if people were to say "all right, yeah!" every time a musician died from some drug they were taking. People cry over those folks, but because wrestling is popularly bashed as a "trashy sport" (which it is), it's okay to make fun of them when they die? I don't get it.

If you'll read my post before your staff has a chance to dick around with or otherwise edit it, you'll see that I mentioned it being a shame that he took two people with him. Those two people, as you may or may not know, are his family.

Yes, because the staff here has a reputation for dicking around with people's posts? I'm just expressing my opinion, isn't it a bit early to be bringing out the "oh the big bad mods are going to abuse me" paranoia? Please don't go there.

When you said it was a "good start" (to play off the old lawyer joke) you were saying it's a good thing wrestlers die. It's just a shame two innocent people died too. Small comfort I'm sure. Mr. Benoit was a bad man because he killed two people, but before that, what was he? Just another steroid using wrestler. So you wanted him dead even before he did anything deserving your wrath? Please explain.

No, but certainly in the case of a coward who used his massive, steroid enhanced physique to carry out two homicides on people a fraction of his size and strength, sure it does. And I say again in my manliest tough guy voice: GOOD RIDDANCE.

I agree, he was a coward. Of course such sentiment is a little swift and retroactive. It would have made more sense if you'd made this comment after he'd been caught murdering his family and sat on death row for while and was up for execution. Instead as the blood of these three people is drying you're expressing satisfaction that one of these dead folks was a performer you didn't approve of. If that isn't hatred I don't know what is. Of course such hatred isn't illegal or forbidden, it's just ugly.

Is it out of frustration because he escaped justice? After all, how is it justice that a man murders two people and then kills himself? He died by his own hand. Presumably he wanted to die at that point. So since he can't be punished, we just have to settle for his suicide as being the next best thing? Or does gloating over his death somehow make up the difference? I'm sure the family had next of kin. It's just salt in their wounds of course this crap that comes out of people's mouths (though I imagine they probably won't read this forum just to see what people are saying, but still).

The chief difference in these two situations, as far as I can tell, is that Paris Hilton hasn't murdered any women or children to my knowledge.

That's true, and if she had killed her family in a murder-suicide (or killed herself and another driver in a drunk driving accident), would you say "good riddance! it's a shame some innocent people had to die in the process, though" ?

If she had done so, people most likely would say negative things about her, and I think it would be appropriate, even if it were "tasteless". Hell, all she had to do to get numerous threads FULL of negative comments posted about her on LF was be sentenced to a little jail time for DUI or whatever it was, and be annoying.

And I said (not on a forum, but to a friend in public) that I'm glad she was going to jail rather than kill somebody on the road. If she had, I'd have no sympathy for her. Should she be punished for being a spoiled rich brat? No, that's not how the law works. But, that's different than gloating over a celebrity demise with the assumption that they deserve to die because they weren't entertaining.

I sense a bit of hostility towards celebrity worship in your comments, and on that point I agree. It's not a "big tragedy" just because a person is famous. Sure, whoever was entertained by them can no longer be if they're dead. And surely, people who ignore the family and just are sad because a wrestler they liked to watch is gone (they're honest, but callous) are going to come off badly. But the sense that we're glad he's dead, and it's just too bad a few other people had to die too, sounds like we wanted them dead all along. That's the kind of cynicism that still seems incredibly cold.

Chris Benoit did something far more heinous, and is a pro wrestler, making him doubly annoying.

I couldn't care less what his job was. If he was the president's son, or a man who collected manure for laughs. He killed his family and himself. No reason to celebrate. Is the world better off because one more "professional wrestler" is gone?

I guess a way to understand your mindset is to ask, if instead of killing anyone, he'd simply keeled over dead one day from the steroids, would you still be saying "good riddance"?

But he gets a thread full of "RIP Chris! You were an awesome wrestler! I watched you when I was 6! It's like he was almost a real wrestler or something! I'm gonna miss him!"

Even the most annoying celebrities have fans. I don't care about 'pro wrestling'. Yet I don't go "yay, wrestling sucks, good riddance."

I really hate "reality tv." Yet, I wouldn't rejoice if somebody on the cast of "big brother" (or whatever show it is that's taken its place) went on a shooting spree on the set.

And even when it comes to anybody dying in the news there's bound to be those sorts of comments (doesn't mean they should go unaddressed). Like I'm sure people said after the Virgina Tech massacre "haha, dead emo kid" or whatever. Since news travels fast, every time death of anyone that's reported anywhere, famous or not will get around. The celebrity factor or the gruesome nature of the event will draw the most variety of people. As we know, the internet is completely open and virtually anonymous, so anybody can say anything, no matter how dumb. Plus to say something like that right after a tragedy when other people are still in shock is viewed by some as "edgy." Like "whoa, he isn't even phased, and can still crack jokes about people even before their corpse is even cold, that's hardcore" (hence the "tough guy" comment).

Perhaps these folks' defense mechanism for a public memento mori is to laugh it off. I don't know, I'm no psychologist.

And it's that way everywhere you go on the internet. Not just here. I find that to be pretty bizarre...But meh, whatever.

Well, I could travel all over the internet commenting on all the ridiculous things people say and counter all the meanness in the universe. Or I could simply address it "at home" (as it were) as a sample of how I feel. Nothing wrong with that.

This is how you honestly feel and you expressed it. This is how I feel and my response to your expression. I'm commenting on the larger phenomenon of celebrity death gloating as much as I'm commenting on what you said.

Good post, with good points. If I fail to address any statement you've made, it's not out of ignoring the comment, it's most likely that I either agree, or just don't have a good come back.

I'd say not killing people is what we're all supposed to do, obviously!

My point is that when some "celebrity" dies, somebody always has to say that it's a good thing, because they were not entertained by said celebrity.

While you and I both agree that murdering people, especially your family, is heinous, you also expressed the following bit of caring and intelligence:

While I don't like wrestling, if a wrestler were to simply just "die", I wouldn't comment that it were a good thing, out of respect for fans, and the dead in general. The fellow we're talking about obviously didn't just die.

Of course you said this after commenting to me. Subtle message: Wrestlers are gay, they deserve to die.

First, no. I said that before I responded to you, not that there's any relevance to that. Second, there was no subtle, hidden message in my post Kurgan. If I wanted to say wrestlers were gay, and deserve to die, I'd have simply said so. I suppose you can gather that I might have been making such an implication by reading that post, but more than that, I was saying that I don't have respect for wrestlers, moreover, murderers of women and children who also happen to be wrestlers. Which is, in so many words, exactly what I said.

And I realize too a lot of wrestlers end up dead from steroid abuse. Now I'm sure nobody held a gun to their heads getting them to shoot up, but it's the same sort of thing if people were to say "all right, yeah!" every time a musician died from some drug they were taking. People cry over those folks, but because wrestling is popularly bashed as a "trashy sport" (which it is), it's okay to make fun of them when they die? I don't get it.

I can only speak for myself, obviously, when I say that I never have, and never will weep for a musician dying from a drug overdose. Also, I'd like to point out that once again, we're not talking about something as simple as just dying, or dying from a drug overdose. I wasn't aware of wrestling being a "trashy sport", which is why I didn't say it was, although I see you've managed to quote someone, and once again, if this guy had just died, I'd have said nothing about it. But that's not what happened, so why we're discussing it is lost on me.

Yes, because the staff here has a reputation for dicking around with people's posts? I'm just expressing my opinion, isn't it a bit early to be bringing out the "oh the big bad mods are going to abuse me" paranoia? Please don't go there.

OH, I'M NOT GOING THERE, GIRLFRIEND! I'M ALREADY GONE!

par·a·noi·a, Pronunciation [par-uh-noi-uh]–noun

1. Psychiatry. a mental disorder characterized by systematized delusions and the projection of personal conflicts, which are ascribed to the supposed hostility of others, sometimes progressing to disturbances of consciousness and aggressive acts believed to be performed in self-defense or as a mission.

2. baseless or excessive suspicion of the motives of others.

According to those definitions, you don't know what paranoia means. My post has been dicked with. "A bit early"? When would be a good time? Before my post had been edited? Why mention it then? I thought I'd waited a reasonable amount of time. Had I said that before my post had been altered by staff, THAT would have been the epitome of paranoia.

When you said it was a "good start" (to play off the old lawyer joke) you were saying it's a good thing wrestlers die. It's just a shame two innocent people died too. Small comfort I'm sure. Mr. Benoit was a bad man because he killed two people, but before that, what was he? Just another steroid using wrestler. So you wanted him dead even before he did anything deserving your wrath? Please explain.

I thought you did a pretty good job explaining my post for me when you pointed out the reference to a joke. I will however, concede that I suppose a little more tact could have been used on my part.

I agree, he was a coward. Of course such sentiment is a little swift and retroactive. It would have made more sense if you'd made this comment after he'd been caught murdering his family and sat on death row for while and was up for execution. Instead as the blood of these three people is drying you're expressing satisfaction that one of these dead folks was a performer you didn't approve of. If that isn't hatred I don't know what is. Of course such hatred isn't illegal or forbidden, it's just ugly.

Is it out of frustration because he escaped justice? After all, how is it justice that a man murders two people and then kills himself? He died by his own hand. Presumably he wanted to die at that point. So since he can't be punished, we just have to settle for his suicide as being the next best thing? Or does gloating over his death somehow make up the difference? I'm sure the family had next of kin. It's just salt in their wounds of course this crap that comes out of people's mouths (though I imagine they probably won't read this forum just to see what people are saying, but still).

No, it's fine that he killed himself with me. I'm not upset that he escaped justice whatsoever, and I don't feel that he did. Sitting on death row writing appeals and watching cable television isn't justice. The fact that he's a performer I don't "approve of" doesn't make any difference to me. If he were a friend, relative, or performer I liked and he committed murder and then killed himself, I can promise you the last three letters you'd ever see me posting regarding said person would RIP. Probably more like YOU, as in **** YOU.

That's true, and if she had killed her family in a murder-suicide (or killed herself and another driver in a drunk driving accident), would you say "good riddance! it's a shame some innocent people had to die in the process, though" ?

OF COURSE I WOULD!!!

And I said (not on a forum, but to a friend in public) that I'm glad she was going to jail rather than kill somebody on the road. If she had, I'd have no sympathy for her. Should she be punished for being a spoiled rich brat? No, that's not how the law works. But, that's different than gloating over a celebrity demise with the assumption that they deserve to die because they weren't entertaining.

I sense a bit of hostility towards celebrity worship in your comments, and on that point I agree. It's not a "big tragedy" just because a person is famous. Sure, whoever was entertained by them can no longer be if they're dead. And surely, people who ignore the family and just are sad because a wrestler they liked to watch is gone (they're honest, but callous) are going to come off badly. But the sense that we're glad he's dead, and it's just too bad a few other people had to die too, sounds like we wanted them dead all along. That's the kind of cynicism that still seems incredibly cold.

I couldn't care less what his job was. If he was the president's son, or a man who collected manure for laughs. He killed his family and himself. No reason to celebrate. Is the world better off because one more "professional wrestler" is gone?

I guess a way to understand your mindset is to ask, if instead of killing anyone, he'd simply keeled over dead one day from the steroids, would you still be saying "good riddance"?

No, I wouldn't say anything about it at all, least of all "good riddance" but I would certainly think it. Unless he were also injecting his wife and child with steroids. Then I'd say it, sure. I can't believe nobody else has, frankly.

When some meth fiend blows up his trailer house of a meth lab with himself in it, no big loss. When his children go with him, that's too bad. I feel bad for them. I'm not a ****ing monster.

Also, if you can get me an application, or put in a good word for me, at the Collect Poop For Laughs and Dollars Factory, I'm seriously interested.

Even the most annoying celebrities have fans. I don't care about 'pro wrestling'. Yet I don't go "yay, wrestling sucks, good riddance."

I really hate "reality tv." Yet, I wouldn't rejoice if somebody on the cast of "big brother" (or whatever show it is that's taken its place) went on a shooting spree on the set.

And even when it comes to anybody dying in the news there's bound to be those sorts of comments (doesn't mean they should go unaddressed). Like I'm sure people said after the Virgina Tech massacre "haha, dead emo kid" or whatever. Since news travels fast, every time death of anyone that's reported anywhere, famous or not will get around. The celebrity factor or the gruesome nature of the event will draw the most variety of people. As we know, the internet is completely open and virtually anonymous, so anybody can say anything, no matter how dumb. Plus to say something like that right after a tragedy when other people are still in shock is viewed by some as "edgy." Like "whoa, he isn't even phased, and can still crack jokes about people even before their corpse is even cold, that's hardcore" (hence the "tough guy" comment).

Perhaps these folks' defense mechanism for a public memento mori is to laugh it off. I don't know, I'm no psychologist.

My intent wasn't to come off as "edgy". I just thought I'd point out that while people were singing the praises and lamentations of their beloved wrestler, there were two other bodies going into the ground, and that maybe all the RIP's were being thrown the wrong direction. I know that you can't just take back the fact that you used to like someone after they do something terrible. People feel like they lost someone they were entertained by, and I understand that. What I fail to understand, is how the hell you can say RIP with a straight face after someone kills two other people, then their self, even if you were a fan. You mentioned the Virgina Tech shooting. It would look pretty weird to the average person for someone to come to a message board and say "RIP Seung-Hui Cho, I always loved your work. I'm gonna miss you", I'd think. But that's just me.

Well, I could travel all over the internet commenting on all the ridiculous things people say and counter all the meanness in the universe. Or I could simply address it "at home" (as it were) as a sample of how I feel. Nothing wrong with that.

This is how you honestly feel and you expressed it. This is how I feel and my response to your expression. I'm commenting on the larger phenomenon of celebrity death gloating as much as I'm commenting on what you said.

Again, good post, and good points made.

what is so funny about this whole thing is... if I were to say the things he said I would have gotten banned for 2 weeks.

and you can form your own opinions all you want until the toxicology reports come back...then well see who is right or wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Report Shows Steroids in Benoit's System

AP Sports

Posted: 2007-07-17 16:32:40

DECATUR, Ga. (July 17) - Investigators said Tuesday they found steroids and other drugs in the body of pro wrestler Chris Benoit, who killed his wife and young son last month before hanging himself in the family's home.

Besides steroids, Benoit's body contained the anti-anxiety drug Xanax and the painkiller hydrocodone, according to a statement from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. The GBI said Benoit tested negative for blood alcohol.

Benoit's wife, Nancy, tested positive for Xanax, hydrocodone and the painkiller hydromorphone.

The son, Daniel Benoit had Xanax in his system, the agency said. The GBI said it could not perform tests for steroids or human growth hormones on the son because of a lack of urine.

The test results were expected to shed more light on Benoit's last moments. Authorities said Benoit killed his wife and 7-year-old son in their suburban Atlanta home, placed Bibles next to their bodies and then hanged himself on the cable of a weight machine.

Anabolic steroids were found in the home, leading officials to wonder if the drugs played a role in the killings. Some experts believe steroids can cause paranoia, depression and violent outbursts known as "roid rage."

Federal authorities have charged Benoit's personal physician, Dr. Phil Astin, with improperly prescribing painkillers and other drugs to two patients other than Benoit. He has pleaded not guilty.

Investigators have also raided Astin's office several times since the deaths, seizing prescription records and other documents.

Before he was charged, Astin told the AP he prescribed testosterone for Benoit, a longtime friend, in the past. He would not say what, if any, medications he prescribed when Benoit visited his office June 22, the day authorities believe Benoit killed his wife.

Archived