Home

Ameritish

Err so I'm British now.

I'm still American though. Its very confusing.

I've taken the 4th off anyway.

I'm still not sure what to write on forms. I feel weird only putting British (since I live in the UK) as it feels somehow un-patriotic (ha! MOI? never) not to write American.

American-British just doesn't have a good ring to it, the two words just weren't meant to mix me-thinks.

Meh, patriotism is overrated. I've seen different places, and besides a few things the civilized world is pretty similar all around. Everybody has their economic issues, their political issues, and the prejudice/patriotism.

Not much of a point being an American patriot anymore sinse you no longer live there. I hear the Brits don't exactly like American patriots and Vice-Versa :p

But I feel for ya. I'm betting at least the first year is going to be a little awkward. But, don't worry, you'll soon find yourself pointing and laughing at your old homeland and wondering why you were ever so attached. At least, thats what I've found with people that move :p

So, how is it over there anyway when you actually live there from a currently un-biased point of view?

You're an American who lives in Britain... your nationality is still American no matter where you live.
Well, unless she actually becomes an immigrant and drops her US citizenship (and gets UK citizenship). Then she's British - for forms anyway.

Nothing wrong with a bit of a country-ego as long as you don't go syko. :p

Remember my friend, you are nor American neither British - you are a citizen of the World.

Nationality : Terran

That works... Might confuse a few people that have to read your forms, though.

Actually, did you apply for British Citizenship? If you did, then you are British but you still didn't give up your American Citizenship unless you filled out the forms for that...

You could put "American," "British," or "American/British" on forms... I guess?

I think you've misunderstood me, I've lived in the UK for 4 years. I have just gotten my British Citizenship but I am retaining my American Citizenship since you are allowed to have both (who can resist fasttracking the visa lines at the airport on either side?)

I was only kidding about the un-patriotic part really, I've never really been "all-american gungho" I'm from New York afterall ;)

It just feels weird sometimes when filling out forms now, I didn't expect it at all to be honest. It has been my experience that some (not all) British (though mainly English) love to deride America and Americans. I've always put up with it, since I have to live here, and pretty much just think "well what the Frack do they know about being American? they aren't one". I am fairly proud of the country and the ideals on which it was founded, modern politics and government policies withstanding of course.

I think it must be some deep seeded psychological thing though harkening back the revolution.

Oh Well I'll Live.

I agree with Sabretooth, we are all citizens of the world.

Well, unless she actually becomes an immigrant and drops her US citizenship (and gets UK citizenship). Then she's British - for forms anyway.

Nothing wrong with a bit of a country-ego as long as you don't go syko. :p

Yeah, but she did say she's still American so I'm assuming that's not the case.

Edit: I was right I guess.

I think you've misunderstood me, I've lived in the UK for 4 years. I have just gotten my British Citizenship but I am retaining my American Citizenship since you are allowed to have both (who can resist fasttracking the visa lines at the airport on either side?)

I was only kidding about the un-patriotic part really, I've never really been "all-american gungho" I'm from New York afterall ;)

It just feels weird sometimes when filling out forms now, I didn't expect it at all to be honest. It has been my experience that some (not all) British (though mainly English) love to deride America and Americans. I've always put up with it, since I have to live here, and pretty much just think "well what the Frack do they know about being American? they aren't one". I am fairly proud of the country and the ideals on which it was founded, modern politics and government policies withstanding of course.

I think it must be some deep seeded psychological thing though harkening back the revolution.

Oh Well I'll Live.

I agree with Sabretooth, we are all citizens of the world.

Write "British". You'll sound more sensible that way.

*runs*

I hear the Brits don't exactly like American patriots and Vice-Versa :p

In my experience, the majority of Britons seem to be repulsed by patriotism of any sort. Flag waving is often viewed as... distasteful :p.

We're just jealous because we no longer control the universe :p. Making fun of America is generally done in good fun and I hope you realised that - banter seems to be a ridiculous pass-time of many Britons - mostly the English.

It all depends on which nation you're in.

If you're in England, you are English (or American-English/English-American if you prefer). If you're in Scotland you are Hiberno-American/vice versa. If you're in Northern Ireland you are A Target, and if you're in Wales you are Foreign, down to your childrens' childrens' childrens' children :xp: .

You're only British if you're a mix of nationalities from England/Ireland/Wales/Scotland, IMO.

Usually when questioned on nationality/ethnicity/etc I go for "Other" and put "Vorlon". When questioned, I usually then give an irritated stare, and say "yes". It unsettles them ;)

I would put both. I know the boat you are in. I hate filling in forms asking you what your race is. I became the smart aleck and bubbled in other and put human. Makes sense don't ya think?

Put both or make up a word that describes both. I know it is irritating to them but hey.

Err so I'm British now.

I'm still American though. Its very confusing.

I've taken the 4th off anyway.

I'm still not sure what to write on forms. I feel weird only putting British (since I live in the UK) as it feels somehow un-patriotic (ha! MOI? never) not to write AmericanAmerican-British just doesn't have a good ring to it, the two words just weren't meant to mix me-thinks.

Well, for what it's worth - welcome to this humble little land anyway, just don't expect anything spectacular! With regards to your nationality, i suppose you are now what would be expressed as a "Foreign National" :thumbsup:

I'm English, from Liverpool. To all you Brit lovers out there, believe me Britain is not what it's cracked up to be - sure we have the NHS but it has serious underlying issues and problems that are reluctant government fails to realise. The monarchs are a dying breed - they are just mere puppets now and have no relevance or real power in the modern world. And of course we have the Chavs, real great! Your originality dictates your nationality, sure you can have duel nationality but where you are born and raised in i feel is what dictates your nationality. To put it short i'm not very patriotic to say the least, although i love my 'lil city! (Should be capital i reckon). We've got Capital of Culture to look forward to in 2008 anyways! I'd also say we've got a good football team, which we do have - but i've always been a Man U fan! :D

We're just jealous because we no longer control the universe :p. Making fun of America is generally done in good fun and I hope you realised that - banter seems to be a ridiculous pass-time of many Britons - mostly the English.
Yep, you Americans no longer have the title of "World Police" (Joke, see Pavlos, i've just proved your point ;) )

Yep, we English do like a good laugh, we can make a joke out of absolutely anything - but i think sometimes our sense of humour may seem quite distasteful to all you in the US, but it's just the way we've been raised, y'know! Besides with the current state of the country what with that clown Gordon Brown taking over as PM from the lord of clowns Tony Blair we might as well be joking to avoid crying about the sorry mess of it all!

Write "British". You'll sound more sensible that way.

*runs*

Ah, the power of delusions.....

*ducks and sprints in other direction*

Yep, we English do like a good laugh, we can make a joke out of absolutely anything - but i think sometimes our sense of humour may seem quite distasteful to all you in the US, but it's just the way we've been raised, y'know!

Well, perhaps some of us, but not all. O'course it helps to know a little about other cultures to understand their sense of humor. Watching things like Dave Allen at Large, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Red Dwarf and Benny Hill can give anyone an appreciation for the diversity of humor across the pond. I've seen others as well. Sometimes the humor may seem too inside or peculiar, but that's universal to all cultures. :)

Liverpool rules! Wooo! Go Liverpool!

*coughs*

Sorry... just supporting my local city - even though I live across the Mersey, it's still my city.

Oh, so your English aswell, sorry i always assumed you were American, oops! Thanks for the compliments of the city, i think Liverpool is just great, cannot wait for Capital of Culture! I love the opposite side of the water, especially New Brighton with that nice long promenade, the bowling alley and great bars/pubs such as Darcy's & Peggy's!

Archived