1. 1. How did you like the movie?

• Loved it, brilliant!
    • It was okay.
    • I didn't like it that much.
    • It sucked, they ruined it!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, did anyone else see the preview where it started out with a guys going away party, and turned into a horror movie? Didn't catch the name of it, all I saw was the date. Looked damn intruiging. Or however the hell you spell that word.
They didn't put the title of the movie in the trailer.

I saw Transformers last night for the second time. It is SUCH a stellar movie. It had absolutely everything I had hoped for and more in a Transformers movie. I honestly don't know why people would not like this movie.

My thoughts exactly. Everything about it just worked. The over the top action sequences, the booming soundtrack, even the cheesy dialog were just spot on for the tone of the movie. Heck, even with Michael Bay's shameless self promotion - The guy shouting "It's like ten times cooler than Armageddon!" when the Autobots arrived, and

Bumblebee being captured in the same runoff area that Nicholas Cage raced through in Gone in 60 seconds"

I just chuckled knowingly because I got the jokes.

I really hope they do a sequel to this one.

I rewatched the movie and noticed some things that could be subtle hints to Starscream's character.

when Frenzy tells the other decepticons that the allspark has been found, he makes no mention of Megatron, yet Starscream goes to the hoover dam and attacks it. It'd be funny if he went there with the intention of claiming the allspark to himself, not knowing that Megatron was there either, but when Megatron came out, he started doing his suckup act to him.

also when he attacks the f-22's he only takes out a couple of them then keeps going back in disguise. right after that, a bunch of f-22's fire at Megatron. it's possible that one of them was Starscream in disguise, knowing that the decepticons were far outnumbered and this would be his chance to get rid of Megatron.

Now that I think about it, the only thing I didn't like was the f***ing linkin park song. I hate that f***ing song so much ><

I agree with you 100%. In the director's cut DVD, they should have the rolling credits play to "The Touch" by Stan Bush....OR the "Transformer's Theme" performed by Lion! :p

I had a good time seeing this movie tonight, and my staff had a good time too, we should do this more often.

I tell you one thing though, this movie holds the record as being the best use of product placement in a movie...ever.

I just watched it. ****ing awesome, nothing much to complain I just would've liked to see more of the Transformers.

There's just one thing I was wondering:

Why didn't Bumblebee repair his speech-system when he made The Cube smaller? Or did he and I just missed it?

Here is my reposted core dump from the KOTOR area...disagree away!

In a Nutshell:

This movie didn't have everything I would have wanted, but it did have giant ****ing transforming alien robots from outer space blowing stuff up, so they are 80% of the way there.

The Good:

I will be the first to admit that I was one of those who did not like the new designs when they were first released. But damn, when you see those things in action, with a few exceptions (Megs and Starscream, I'm looking at you), they look awesome. And hearing Peter Cullen as Prime once again was super nostalgic for me, and made Optimus the character I know and love. The other Autobots also were very cool and reminiscent to their original counterparts (I actually liked this Ironhide a bit more than the original. Same with Bumblebee).

The action itself was at times simply unbelievable. ILM has, IMO, has set the bar once again for visual effects. It is one thing to create a fantasy universe like Star Wars, but it is another to bring such over-the-top creatures to life and have them actually perform as characters and interact so seamlessly with the human actors in a "real life" environment. Amazing. This alone makes the film watchable after multiple viewings.

As for the meatbags, the acting overall was OK and for the most part I thought they were entertaining. Sam was annoying at times, if only because he behaved like any teenager that age. :) But he delivered his often cheesy lines and humor about as well as possible. I found that he was likable because he was just awkward enough to be sympathetic. Mikaela was super hot, so full marks there. :p But her character was fine. The army guys had some good moments, both in terms of delivery and action scenes. Jon Voight as the Defense Secretary was pretty solid, even if his character got more unrealistic as the film went on. I love Bernie Mac, and his cameo made me laugh in his typical style. John Turturro also deserves some marks for making an otherwise straight faced character a bit more lively.

For all the complaints going in (mine included) about how much was changed and the usual "raped my childhood" mantras, I was surprised at just how much of the original concepts and elements they actually drew from the original material. There were a lot of things that non-fans would never pick up on. There were many lines taken directly from the old G1 movie and shows, with many spoken again by Cullen 20 years after the fact. Actually, I would say that Cullen's involvement goes a long way, probably more than the makers realize, to really making this Transformers for my demographic. He brings to life once again a character that for kids was up there with any from that decade.

The story spent a lot of time building up, but for the most part I didn't get bored at any point. It had its problems, but it served its purpose overall.

The Bad:

While this film does a lot of things right, it also is far from perfect. As good as the visuals are, the complexity of the transformer models sometimes made it difficult to actually make out what they were doing, particularly in action sequences. Combined with the occasional documentary-style shaky camera work, some things were just a blur. For a movie that is basically visual crack, these sequences did the film a disservice, IMO.

While the story is never the focus of an action movie such as this, the movie could have done with some editing. There was too much time spent with the government and hot scientist decoding signals and the like, which didn't really add much. This was at the detriment of some character development (in an action movie? Say it ain't so!) for the TFs, especially the decepticons. Starscream gets next to no screen time, and the rivalry relationship that will no doubt be a larger part in the future was only hinted at with one line. When certain bad things happen to some of the secondary autobot characters, it is hard to care too much since they are never a big part of the story. It is fine to tell the story from a human point of view, but there didn't need to be so many human points of view. :)

The Stupid: (more direct spoilers here)

There were plenty of WTF moments all through this movie, and enough plot holes to drive Optimus Prime through...

First of all, how is it that the only person that can solve the big computer mystery is some dance dance revolution-playing fat kid living in his grandma's basement? How is he better than the best the US government has to offer? And he doesn't do anything! What's more, Bay and co. thought it was time better spent to follow these chuckleheads around instead of Starscream?? They literally didn't add anything to the story.

Why was Tree Boy in the movie at all?

Why does the allspark only create evil robots? If that is the case, why wouldn't the autobots just want to destroy it in the first place?

Can a transformers really only be taken out by humans in the manner that Captain Lennox does? I mean, come on...

I don't mind product placements, but come on...

Etc.

Fanboy stuff:

Is anyone talking about Optimus having a mouth these days? Just wondering...

After going through the effort of getting Hugo Weaving to voice Megatron, I really couldn't tell it was him. Why not save some money and go with Frank Welker? That would have gone a long way to making Megs feel more like Megs. Not that he did a bad job, but he didn't add anything to it.

I think the cola machine transformer shot soda can missiles. :)

After all the comments from animators about not wanting mass shifting in the designs (thus the huge size differences), they go right out and pull the biggest mass shift of all time. Even if it could fold up like that, wouldn't it still be ****ing heavy? Sam runs around with it like it is his lunch!

Why does cold affect Transformers so much? I mean, they fly through outer space, and then can survive re-entry...

Final Word:

A movie that delivers on what it intended to. A great trip down memory lane for some and fun popcorn movie for everyone else.

8/10 for Fans, 7/10 for non-fans.

Why does the allspark only create evil robots? If that is the case, why wouldn't the autobots just want to destroy it in the first place?

they said all modern technology was derived from reverse engineering Megatron

Megatron is a decepticon

Decepticons are evil.

Bringing these machines to life would only mean they'd turn evil.

they said all modern technology was derived from reverse engineering Megatron

Megatron is a decepticon

Decepticons are evil.

Bringing these machines to life would only mean they'd turn evil.

I can't remember the line exactly, but my impression is the he was referring to technology such as used in the space program and the like. Have to see it again I guess.

I mean, is a Mountain Dew vending machine really derived from Megatron?

Hmmm... So if it had been a frozen Optimus Prime buried in the Arctic that Grandpa Wickwicki found, instead of Megatron, then the Mountain Dew machine would have started shooting at Decepticons when the All-Spark brought it to life? :p Interesting theory.

the main circuitry that makes all the machines are of decepticon design, so it'd make sense that they'd turn evil.
So you are saying that all the circuitry on earth is derived from Megs?

How would that even be possible?

Archived