Home

Doctor Who!

Gabez

Less Cardiffy would be good. There's nothing wrong with Cardiff. Cardiff is a nice place. But they did slap it across our faces every two seconds, which was a bit much.

I did think it was funny how a character visited the fictional museum of natural history at Aberystwyth University in season one -- a parallel universe where Aberystwyth is a real university with a museum! It would be nice to have more of Wales in there. "Why do aliens always attack America?" could also be phrased as "why do aliens always attack England?"

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, why does Norway get no lovin'?

Oh wait, actually... Norway was featured at the end of season two.

And then we did have New York. Well, Cardiff disguised as New York. And then there was New new new new new new new new new new new new new new new York. And other such places. But I don't suppose they count, because they're not on Earth.

That Torchwood clip looked good -- it looks like the series will have more action, and the action will be more dramatic and 'real.'

Yeah, but a fictional place in Norway with a name no Norwegian would put together.

Also, whoever translated it did it wrong. Dårlig ulv= sick wolf, not bad wolf. Dårlig could mean bad, but only in a context like "this food's gone bad" or "bad news", not bad as in evil.

Yeah, I become pedantic when English speaking people try to do Norway, because they always mess up. :p

• 1 month later...

Yes, the Extras bit is funny and the "magic DNA resolves the plot" bit is spot on when it comes to certain episodes of the new series. :)

Soooo.... The Five Doctors was released on DVD this week and I got it yesterday. Never seen it before. I thought it was a nice anniversay special. Bit contrived, perhaps, the bit where they all ended up together on Gallifrey, but it had some good scenes.

I'd like to see the Three Doctors as well, but only for Hartnell in colour, and for the way that he was so ill that he could only be on a TV screen, and that a scene with him sword-fighting had to be cut out. I heard that he believed he was the Doctor acting the role of William Hartnell, or something.

And of course there's some fake Hartnell in the five doctors -- boo hiss.

Speaking of Doctors meeting Doctors: the recent Comic Relief special was awesome.

And of course there's some fake Hartnell in the five doctors -- boo hiss.
Richard Hurndall was actually pretty good as the first Doctor.

Hartnell's situation in The Three Doctors is sad, but at least he was able to be in it. You can pick it up for about £7 from play now.

Troughton is always great, too bad most if his stories are incomplete. :(

http://youtube.com/watch?v=86jHyhZOeTM - Here's a great video with Throughton the day before he died. He plays the recorder in it, like his Doctor used to do. :)

The 'TV screen' solution to the Hartnell problem is brilliantly ill-considered, but at least it sort of works. You get to see a few cameras and general bits of studio reflected in the TV screen too, which is sort of interesting if you're a big geek.

Omega got one story: Getting out of the antimatter universe. They've already told it twice, but I wouldn't be surprised if RTD decides to tell it again with Omega being gay and doing a breakdance to some sh|te mayfly he happens to be listening to while writing the script. :xp:

Ahh, but he also got a kickass Big Finish audio story too!

Are we having bets on what major event is going to finish series 4? We've had the Big Three of Daleks, Cybermen and then The Master, and unless RTD does the full Sontaran-Rutan war over Earth there is no way Sontarans are upping the last three season finales. I'm hoping the return of Rose will mean the return of the Cybermen! And Mickey, too.

Too bad it doesn't mention any names. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Doctor_Who#Origins - this article mentions the meeting in March where people who didn't work on the programme after that also contributed.

Guess it just was a brainstorming meeting full of crazy ideas and the Telegraph decided on taking the craziest ones and run with it now that season 4 is close to premiering. Pushes copies, that does. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I am really, really excited about this series (more than usual) for one simple reason: I don't really know what to expect from the story arc.

The last three seasons I knew who the main old-series villains were going to be in each season finale - Daleks, then Cybermen, then The Master. They're the Big Three enemies of the Doctor Who world, so it was obvious all the way they were going to be the antagonists.

In Series Four, I have no idea who is going to be the main baddies! The Sontarans are good for a one-off, but they won't stand up against any of the Big Three.

A very interesting (and cute) episode, but the curse of the Crap Opening Episode still pretty much carries on. 'Smith & Jones' last year was pretty good actually, I suppose, but the rest have been fairly awful. Donna was much more likeable, and I loved Bernard Cribbins as her Grandad... but the whole episode was worth it for the "WOW!!" moment near the end.

Nah, it won't be Davros. This is a quote from the Radio Times:

I will update this when I can find my bloody copy of the Radio Times. Anyway, it says something like 'a big evil that has lived for centuries returns'
I hope this doesn't just mean the Daleks, because that will be very anti-climactic. My hope's are either Sutekh ('Pyramids of Mars'), Omega ('The Three Doctors' and 'Arc of Infinity'), or The Beast ('The Satan Pit').

Archived