Home

Doctor Who!

Gabez

It was definately one of the better episodes. The trouble is, to my mind, that simply by having such an interesting concept it really suffers from having to tell the story in such a short time frame. There were quite a few interesting ideas that were never explored in much detail. There was so much scope to commentate on the folly of fighting over religion, the ethics of cloning, the meaning of parenthood etc that were lighly touched upon but really deserved more attention. Bring back the multi episode stories!

I'm also finding Tate more and more irritating every episode - I'm hoping there's a Soda Poppers style twist coming soon.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Bloody hell, more Daleks?

I stopped watching towards the beginning of the series with the black companion, but it seemed like they were coming along too often even then. Just how many times can they be annihilated??

It still really annoys me that they turned up at the end of Series Two. That was meant to be the Cybermen series!

At least there's a reason for them to be back this time... although I'm not going to say why for anyone who doesn't want to be spoiled!

Saturday's episode in the library was definitely the best 'new series' episode for a long time, if not ever. Could have done without the "Oh Doctor! Don't you remember me?!" woman though. Jeeesus, if even I'm grinding my teeth with frustration and boredom when any of that balls starts up, what about the kids?

I don't think it's coincidence that Saturday's episode was also the simplest they've done in a long time. No unconvincing CGI baddies, no endless running around as the Doctor sonic-screwdrivers his way along endless corridors - in other words, much like the classic series: a story based more around ideas than action, allowing the audience to use their imagination rather than shoving scary monstars in their faces.

So, more of that please.

Really loved it -- Moffat's The MAN!

And yeah, I dunn about that woman! I think maybe she will die and it will all become part of time that was altered. I couldn't imagine the Doctor marrying -- and even if he marry someone, I don't think it would be her.

I loved the part when Donna dissapeared mid teleport... her scream, and the style of effect, was very classic series, and very scary.

I really have no idea how this is going to go in the next episode, but I can't wait to find out!

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed.

So, this week's episode - original use of a single set and limited cast, or a bit ****? I really can't decide. Although it was nice to have an implicit 'monster' for a change, and the lack of running around screaming was a welcome change of pace, I think you need more than 12 people standing around shouting at one another for 45 minutes to make a great episode.

I will say this: it was better than I've come to expect from Russell T Davies, and the absense of Donna was a bonus. Neither of these things is saying much.

Mitchell could be great, although I can't see him doing it with tongue out of cheek. But how about getting Webb in too - he'd make an interesting sidekick. I'm surprised Mr TDavies hasn't given the Doctor more male companionship over the years...

This Saturday's episode was a fairly big change of pace from the Library two-parter.

It had some interesting ideas, but on the whole it didn't really do it for me though - most of the characters felt a bit too stereotypical to me, and most of the clothing and cabin technology were surprisingly contemporary.

The Rose thing is annoying me slightly now, hopefully the finale (does that start next week?) will be good though.

Incidentally, did anyone else notice his list of companions starting with Rose? It looks like they're considering the new stuff a lot more important than the old. Maybe that's reasonable though. It can't be denied that there's a very clear gap between old and new.

There were some good performances though, and it was an interesting concept to explore. We don't often see him having to cope by himself, and at the mercy of other people. It fleshes things out a bit.

That companion thing annoyed me - it would've been so easy to slip in Ace or, hell, even Sarah Jane who the kiddies know already. RTD must've had an attack of nerves or something.

The very very unsubtle appearance of Rose annoyed me too. I liked the subtle ones - The Poison Sky's blink-and-you'll-miss-it and Forest of the Dead's picture on the wall of a blonde girl and a big wolf - but even the Doctor went out-of-focus in this cameo.

I did enjoy the episode though. Something very different, but yes, a few too many stereotypes. I loved the ending though, very downbeat.

And now we come to the final three-parter. Wow these series shoot by quick!

Turn Left -

Wow. A simple premise, done very well indeed. A deep and surprisingly sinister episode. And my, hasn't Billie Piper matured? (Not too much thank Christ, because she's the same age as me!)

And as for that trailer at the end... kitchen sink incoming! Still, should be fun! Although I have a feeling I will be disappointed if a certain Mr. Molloy isn't in it...

UPDATE: I seem to be a little disappointed, then. Still, it will be great anyway!

Watch only if you want to be slightly spoiled - unless you've already seen the cover of the Radio Times, in which case, call it a teaser!

Ah, I see. The only one who's "supposed" to die is Donna. I will be very impressed (if very sad) if the Doctor truly, permenantly regenerates-

- sorry, SPOILERS!! -

-and they've managed to keep quiet about it. Hell, even the Doctor Who website couldn't keep other returning cast members next week quiet. They're lucky if they can keep a single scene secret, let alone a whole 65 minute episode.

UPDATE: "This is my ultimate victory!" - new trailer. Doesn't reveal anything new apart from Davros ranting just like the good 'ol days, but cool!

Yes, exactly. And the BBC are offering Tennant a lot of money to stay on.

Although I don't know what's going to happen next episode, and for that reason I'm looking forward to it!

Want a spoiler for the Christmas special? My favourite enemies are returning, and about damn time too! Screw Daleks! I suspect there'll be a trailer for it after this Saturday's episode, so it's not too much of a spoiler.

Archived