Home

Official Site Launched! Trailer!

Woo! The real official site has launched. It has some more bits of information about the story. The character information was most interesting to me.

But most importantly, there's a real trailer ! Yes!

I assume this site launch/trailer release was meant to coincide with the Entertainment Tonight showing.

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/

Holy crap! The opening scene is a sight to see.... "Size matters not" indeed! :eyeraise: And to think he is only Darth Vader's apprentice... think of what Lord Vader :vader3: , Emperor Palpatine :emperor:, Yoda :yoda:, and other Jedi/Sith master's could do... You think they are overpowering this guy a bit? All I can say is.... NO!

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force." - :vadar:

Looks good so far... I would enjoy being Darth Vader's right hand man very much! :sithm:

Please.... someone... please tell me.. why? Why!?

WHY COULDN'T THE MOVIES BE LIKE THIS!?!?!?

Everyone knows this is why Star Wars is so great. The force and the whole Jedi/Sith thing. Just think of the potential Star Wars could have if someone other than GL made a movie (if given the freedom of course.)

Instead of seeing the force used like in the opening of the trailer, we see someone getting pushed over a bit. Or an object float in the air. Its a crime that the force isn't used this way in the movies.

...such a shame. George Lucas, as much as I respect and thank the man, must let someone have a go at making movies in the Star Wars universe.

But anyway, this game looks so good. I simply cant wait :vsd:

Not even Yoda could possibly lift such a gigantic object as a Star Destroyer. It's just not possible. I understand that this game focuses on use of the force, but come on, let's be realistic.

I have to admit that it looks pretty kickass though, aside from the obvious realism issues.

That is exactly the problem. It shouldn't be over the top. Over the top was one of the problems with the Episode III game, among other things.

Uh, the Force is supposed to be that powerful. It is even said so in the films... we just never see it at this level. Also remember the Jedi are more disciplined while using the Force. Yoda said "The Force should be used for knowledge and defense, never for attack". Since we see mostly Jedi wield the Force in the films we don't see such wanton destruction. Obviously Sith and Dark Jedi do not "limit" themselves in their offensive usage of the Force.

That is not to say that a Sith Lord could just blow up a planet by themself or something. It's not like this is a power we haven't seen before, using the Force to pull or push something. The star destroyer in the trailer was flying under it's own power, it was only pulled to the ground and stopped by Vader's apprentice. In one interview Jim Ward says that instead of creating new Force powers they are taking what we have seen and pushing it further than what we saw.

Really Im looking forward to "kicking ass with the Force"! :twogun:

Not even Yoda could possibly lift such a gigantic object as a Star Destroyer. It's just not possible. I understand that this game focuses on use of the force, but come on, let's be realistic.

I have to admit that it looks pretty kickass though, aside from the obvious realism issues.

Who said anything about lifting? A Star Destroyer, flying low through the atmosphere for some reason, has got to be already straining to stay up. First shot at pulling it down, although impressive, didn't work. Just pull the nose down, though, and Mr. Engines, Madame Gravity, and Senor Wind Resistance will do the rest. Still absolutely remarkable, but he's not exactly juggling Death Stars.

Regardless of realism, I agree that it still looks damn kickass.

That is exactly the problem. It shouldn't be over the top. Over the top was one of the problems with the Episode III game, among other things.

Unfortunately (for you), that's the entire concept of the game. Take that out and you have Jedi Knight 14: The Same Thing Again! Don't get me wrong, I honestly wouldn't mind another Jedi Knight game made for next-gen. Leave out the plot for all I care. But this game is more than that, and that's what's going to make it a great game instead of another game.

And how was the ROTS game over the top? You have an extremely strict and un-game-friendly view of "the top," if it was over it, unless there's something extraordinary I'm not remembering from the game.

Who said anything about lifting? A Star Destroyer, flying low through the atmosphere for some reason, has got to be already straining to stay up. First shot at pulling it down, although impressive, didn't work. Just pull the nose down, though, and Mr. Engines, Madame Gravity, and Senor Wind Resistance will do the rest.

Still, even just using the force to pull such an enourmous object which is apparently capable of keeping itself in the air just fine would take absoloutely rediculous strength. On a slightly related note, I'm pretty sure that that particular class of Star Destroyer is incapable of atmospheric flight.

And how was the ROTS game over the top? You have an extremely strict and un-game-friendly view of "the top," if it was over it, unless there's something extraordinary I'm not remembering from the game.

You can tell just by looking at it. In the ROTS game, every time you force-push, there was this stupid blue wave thingy, and when you use Grip, there was a similar wavy effect around your hand and around your target. Something like that was also in Jedi Knights 2 and 3. It always annoyed me how inconsistent the Star Wars games are with each other. No two games look or sound the same; They all have their own generic look and feel. It seriously makes we wonder if the people at Lucasarts actually pay much attention when they watch the movies. Not once did you see that wave effect when they use telekenisis. Not once. This problem began, notably, when the prequels came out. That's when the games started to feel blurred and murky. If you play Jedi Knight 1, you'll see what I mean. It has a complete Original-Trilogy feel. Even prequel movie games don't feel like the movies they're based on.

I understand what the objective of the gameplay is, but this over-the-top business is not required to make a game where use of the force is really fun. And am I the only one who noticed that shot in the trailer where the apprentice swings his lightsaber at a stormtrooper, and instead of slicing his head off or something, a blue force-y effect shows up and throws him back?? What the heck is the point of that?

And how the hell could that TIE Fighter at the end not even hit the gigantic platform that the Apprentice was standing on, let alone the Apprentice himself?

I'm also kind of annoyed that the apprentice seems to be levitating at certain points in the trailer, which looks cool but in Star Wars terms is rediculous. Now, I know that technically it would be possible to float or fly using the force, but there's a reason that wasn't in the movies: Because it would look stupid. This isn't The Matrix, he's not Neo or Superman, so what gives?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the gameplay. Just the overall inconsistency.

Still, even just using the force to pull such an enourmous object which is apparently capable of keeping itself in the air just fine would take absoloutely rediculous strength.

According to Yoda the size and mass of an object you telekinetically manipulate through the force does not matter. Thus it would be similarly ridiculous to lift an X-wing fighter out of a swamp as it would be to pull a low-flying Star Destroyer to the ground. Since there is no outrage about Yoda's feat in The Empire Strikes back, why would what this trailer portrays be any more ridiculous?

Besides, from the few seconds that can be seen in the trailer we know nothing of the circumstances that lead to this act being possible. I'll personally wait to roll my eyes in disbelief until the game is out and I know the full story. :)

On a slightly related note, I'm pretty sure that that particular class of Star Destroyer is incapable of atmospheric flight.

The trailer would prove you wrong. Since they hype the game as a continuation of the Star Wars saga developed under the supervision of Lucas, it's reasonable to assume that anything the game portrays will be true to what the powers that be consider true to the Star Wars universe.

You can tell just by looking at it. In the ROTS game, every time you force-push, there was this stupid blue wave thingy, and when you use Grip, there was a similar wavy effect around your hand and around your target.

It's feedback to the player to more easily be able to tell what's happening in the game, and it makes the games look more flashy, which many people like. Movies and games are different media and should be treated as such. This if often why it's hard for movies based on games, or games based on movies to feel right. People carry the expectations of one media over to the other. But some of what makes a good movie does not work well in games, and vice versa.

It always annoyed me how inconsistent the Star Wars games are with each other. No two games look or sound the same; They all have their own generic look and feel.

Personally I think that's a good thing, since it allows for improvements as technology advances, and it gives you something new to play with instead of the same old thing for the 100th time. (Which is why I prefer when Star Wars games have their own soundtrack rather than recycle the movie music over and over and over and over again.) If nothing was ever allowed to change or evolve Star Wars games would still look and sound like the first SW game released in the 1980s, which would be pretty stale by now.

All change is not necessarily for the worse. Sometimes they do thing better than before. :)

I understand what the objective of the gameplay is, but this over-the-top business is not required to make a game where use of the force is really fun.

In this case it is, since it's the basic design premise behind the game according to the interviews that have been published.

And am I the only one who noticed that shot in the trailer where the apprentice swings his lightsaber at a stormtrooper, and instead of slicing his head off or something, a blue force-y effect shows up and throws him back?? What the heck is the point of that?

Kicking posterior with style while looking cool and flashy? Some people prefer that style rather than the Samurai-serene Obi-Wan "one swing one kill" measured style.

And how the hell could that TIE Fighter at the end not even hit the gigantic platform that the Apprentice was standing on, let alone the Apprentice himself?

Telekinesis? Dumb luck? I guess it will be revealed once more of the game has been released than 2 second snippets cut together in rapid succession.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the gameplay.

Sounds to me like that's exactly what you do: criticize the fundamental design premise behind the game. :p Which of course you are entitled to, even if I personally think too little is known about the game at this point to come to any sort of informed conclusion about how it will be.

No two games look or sound the same; They all have their own generic look and feel.
I don't think your use of generic is correct. If the games were generic they would all have the same look and feel like you want but they're all different, and maybe thats not what you want but its definitely not generic.

According to Yoda the size and mass of an object you telekinetically manipulate through the force does not matter. Thus it would be similarly ridiculous to lift an X-wing fighter out of a swamp as it would be to pull a low-flying Star Destroyer to the ground. Since there is no outrage about Yoda's feat in The Empire Strikes back, why would what this trailer portrays be any more ridiculous?

Because Yoda was for the most part just trying to give Luke some positive reinforcement. Do you mean to tell me that anyone who knew how to levitate a wad of paper could also lift the X-Wing? Also, there's a big difference between this and the X-Wing because a Star Destroyer probably weighs countless hundreds of thousands of times more than one starfighter. Sometimes, there's something a Jedi/Sith/Dark Jedi just can't do.

The trailer would prove you wrong. Since they hype the game as a continuation of the Star Wars saga developed under the supervision of Lucas, it's reasonable to assume that anything the game portrays will be true to what the powers that be consider true to the Star Wars universe.

I'm pretty sure that the largest Imperial ship that can enter an atmosphere without crashing into the ground from the sheer pull of gravity on its incredible weight is a Victory-class Star Destroyer (or maybe Victory-II). If you know what a Victory-class looks like, then the ship in the trailer clearly is not one, more like an Imperator or Imperator-II class, which wouldn't work based on what was previously established. :vsd:

It's feedback to the player to more easily be able to tell what's happening in the game

What could possibly be bad about not having the unrealistic wavy effects? Are people too stupid to tell whether or not they're lifting someone in the air without what is essentially a gigantic flashing sign?

Personally I think that's a good thing, since it allows for improvements as technology advances, and it gives you something new to play with instead of the same old thing for the 100th time. (Which is why I prefer when Star Wars games have their own soundtrack rather than recycle the movie music over and over and over and over again.) If nothing was ever allowed to change or evolve Star Wars games would still look and sound like the first SW game released in the 1980s, which would be pretty stale by now.

What does the look and feel of a game have to do with technology advances? You can't possibly mean to tell me that a realistic self-consistent feel would be counter-evolution of the gameplay, instead of different sound effects, lighting, and appearances every single time.

Kicking posterior with style while looking cool and flashy? Some people prefer that style rather than the Samurai-serene Obi-Wan "one swing one kill" measured style.

These aren't magic swords, they're lightsabers. A lightsaber cuts through things and blocks/deflects energy (laser fire, force lightning, other lightsaber blades). It does NOT throw objects, it cuts through them. I'm all for killing stuff in cool ways, but if he (the Apprentice) was going to push someone, why bother twirling a lightsaber around?

Telekinesis?

You can't force push lasers.

Dumb luck?

That isn't an explanation or excuse of any kind.

Sounds to me like that's exactly what you do: criticize the fundamental design premise behind the game. Which of course you are entitled to, even if I personally think too little is known about the game at this point to come to any sort of informed conclusion about how it will be.

That's rediculous. I can't thing of many things funner than shooting lightning out of my hands and throwing large objects around with my mind. The problem is that the look, feel, and overall consistency with the rest of Star Wars is screwed up.

I don't think your use of generic is correct. If the games were generic they would all have the same look and feel like you want but they're all different, and maybe thats not what you want but its definitely not generic.

I don't think I've properly stated what I meant by "generic".

Every Star Wars game feels like Star Wars. But the thing is, it's all a different kind of Star Wars. Take a look at the Episode 3 Game. It had no Episode 3 music in it, and no sounds that were in the movie either. The lightsaber sounds, effects, and overall feel was not Episode 3. Instead, it was "anything that sounds basically like Star Wars". In the game, Mustafar was bright and cartoony, in stark contrast to the movie, where it was sufficently dark and moody.

The blaster sounds are different every single game (except JKA and Jedi Outcast, but come on, those two are almost the exact same thing). Laser fire doesn't make a small explosion when it hits something (like in the movies). The games all have different effects or sounds for the same things for no reason. What was the point of changing it? Why not actually pay attention to the movies that these are supposedly based on?

No games that take place in the OT era sound or look like the OT, and it's the same deal for the PT. Lucasarts doesn't seem to care what their games look like in comparison to the rest of Star Wars. That's what I mean by generic feel. It basically feels like Star Wars.

i totally agree with you TKA-001 the force effects are completely, unnecessarily over the top. the last thing that a starwars game needs is some retarded flashy effects, over a solid saber/foce system.

i have a feeling that if these devs keep up their, "lets get everyone's attention with these uber cool looking and super slick force powers" attitude, they're going to end up short changed once the game comes out, because all that it will initially float on is its hype. and if you believe that the previs trailer, and the e3 trailer weren't supposed to boost hype then i dunno what to tell you; they were designed to grab your attention like a shiny red ball does for a mentally challanged adult... the trailers are nice and flashy, but they have no substance, they leave the mind with too much to fill in. dont deny it, this **** happened with games like Doom III, and Half-life 2... awesome looking trailers, but lots of skimping out on what appeared to be promised in them....

• 4 weeks later...

In the Clone Wars Ep. 23 he crashed 4 Droid Carrier into each other. It looks similar to me.

Archived