Home

Should the Chambers and the Corner be merged?

Dagobahn Eagle

Should the Senate Chambers and Kavar's Corner be merged?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Senate Chambers and Kavar's Corner be merged?

• Merge: Move Senate Chamber threads to Kavar's Corner
    • Merge: Move Kavar's Corner threads to Senate Chambers
    • Do not merge

This may not belong here as a thread, but should the Senate Chambers and Kavar's Corner be merged into a single forum? I don't quite see the need for two debate forums on one board, and it'd be nice if we could just revive old threads in the Chambers rather than having to start new ones here in the Corner.

I voted for a move from the Corner to the Senate, as the Senate is older and has more threads.

Mod note: Moved to the Feedback forum. ~M

I say No. Kavar's Corner is a bit more laid back than the Senate, and possibly might avoid the same pitfalls as a Debate Forum (even so Kavar's Corner is slowly turning into one, at least some humor here and there lightens up the mood). Many people like Kavar's Corner more than they like the Senate. Hence, it is better to keep them seperate.

I think they're fine as they are. Kavar's was meant to be different from the Senate from the beginning, so them being separate is good. Besides, trying to merge the moderating styles of both forums into a single consistent requirement might get under people's skins. I imagine the admins don't want to step on anyone's toes if they don't have to.

I'd agree that merging the two would be counterproductive. The styles of editorial management are very different between the two forums. The Senate is more of a free-for-all with people often stepping all over one another, and pretty nastily too. KC has managed to maintain a certain degree of respectful difference, with mods taking a more active role in trying to keep things on a more even keel. Besides, it's also more convenient to move around within a forum than to jump to and fro between them.

Which is why another forum was opened for similar discussion in the first place. Let people act like jerks elsewhere if they want to, a lot of people have no desire to become involved in the flame wars that typically occur but still wish to discuss serious and important topics.

I don't quite see the need for two debate forums on one board, and it'd be nice if we could just revive old threads in the Chambers rather than having to start new ones here in the Corner.

Ah, but you see, we're not all just one board. JKII and SWK are separate entities, with two communities that may share some similarities, but ultimately have different feels as well as different moderation policies. Fusing Kavar's and the Senate would be incredibly counterproductive, as they each have different atmospheres.

I created Kavar's for the express purpose of having a friendly, discussion-type environment for serious issues. Thus, you could say that Kavar's was designed from the get-go to be different from the Senate. I would sooner close Kavar's down entirely than merge it with the Senate.

As mentioned earlier, the Senate's atmosphere may not appeal to everyone. While there are similarities between the two forums, the topics are approached differently. Kavar is primarily meant to be a friendly place to discuss current events and other "serious" topics with a lighter tone ( and often less rigorously ) than in the senate. I think both forums have their place here.

Besides, there is also a different community feeling that has been created, even if several people who post in one forum also post in the other. Every LF board has a general discussion forum, several of them have RP, etc. I don't see why we should be restricted to only one "serious discussion" forum :)

I say nay for a completely different reason.

The JK and the KotOR forums are inhabited by different communities. Members may overlap, but there are many who restrict themselves to one place. Therefore, it makes sense for them to have their debating place and for the KotOR forums to have their own.

• 2 weeks later...
This just in.....due to global warming, Hell is now in for an unforseeably long heat wave... :D

Aw man, and right when my air conditioner broke :p

As for merging the Senate Chambers and Kavar's Corner, I say nay for pretty much the same reason Sabretooth said, in that one is for the Jedi Knight forumites, and Kavar's Corner is for us KotOR forumites. To add to that, I've noticed that KotOR gamers are of a different mindset than other Star Wars gamers, like those who frequent the Jedi Knight forums or the Battlefront forums. And it's not just on LucasForums, the difference is evident on other sites like FileFront. I don't know why, but KotOR forumites are generally less rude and/or belligerent than the people who frequent the other forums.

I created Kavar's for the express purpose of having a friendly, discussion-type environment for serious issues. Thus, you could say that Kavar's was designed from the get-go to be different from the Senate.

As Rogue Nine said, Kavar's is intended to be a discussion forum, whereas the Senate is a (de facto) debate forum. Kavar's was spin-off of Ahto for the sake of hosting the more serious topics. While the Senate shared a similar relationship to Yoda's Swamp, formal debate tactics and terms were laid out in its early days and encouraged over the years.

Therefore, Kavar's Corner is more closely related to the Ahto Spaceport Cantina than to Senate Chambers and Kavar's moderators tend to view it as such.

Archived