Home

Make our own Grim Fandango movie

gausie

Hey all - my first post, but I've loved the game for a veryy long time.

Would anyone be willing to play the whole game, start to finish, following some sort of exact walkthrough, and screen-record all of it. I would gladly watch that as I would watch a film.

gausie

why don't you try it? Make sure you play through the game enough to organize the dialogue like lipton said, and make sure you got your moves down like a good actor does when moving your character. I can give you examples of people acting in games if you need them.

Try rehearsing specifc scenes in the game to get the hang of it. You may even just end up recording these specific scenes and splicing the video together. But you'll need a video editior and some screen capturing software. I think I can help you out with the latter if you need me to, but the former has been hard to find free, open source software for.

• 2 weeks later...

Lol... I'd watch it too, once I have finished the game. I use Fraps to record onscreen videos, but the file sizes would be MASSIVE! I can average 200Mb for 45 seconds of recording. There is more efficient capture software out there, but Fraps is the most common... I pray whoever attempts this has a few dozen 500Gb hard drives laying around!

Ye, fraps dosn't encode the files, it just saves them raw..

Solution:

1. Use another program that encodes "on-the-go".

or

2. i.e play year 1, then encode and make the clip ready.. will definately cut down on the filesize. When done, do year 2 and so on.

• 7 months later...

Hey, has anyone had any luck using Fraps with Grim Fandango? I'm running on Vista and I know there were some issues simply playing GF, but I found the solutions and the game itself runs fine. The problem is when trying to record video using Fraps while playing GF.

When not recording, the game runs at a smooth 60fps, but after recording, it goes down to a ridiculous 10 or 12fps. Now this is a 10+ year old game and I'm running on modern hardware.

Have any of you have any problems like this? If I could get around this problem, I'd be happy to play through the game, record it and edit it into a watchable movie. I was going to do this for a friend who doesn't play videogames, but is into classic films and he'd appreciate the many references.

If anyone has any info, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

When I was searching online, I found a few different ways to run GF on Vista.

One way is to use a custom launcher. Just google "Grim Fandango Launcher".

Another way is to set the compatibility mode to Windows 95 or 98. To do this, you right click on the GF shortcut on your desktop, Properties, click on the Compatibility tab, check Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and choose 95 or 98. I think the launcher does these things for you already too.

That SHOULD make it run without any problems. I only played a little of it so far but I haven't had any sound problems. The only issue I had was if I changed the 3D option in the game menu to Hardware Acceleration on, then you get there weird graphical glitches. Just turn leave that option off and it will use Software mode, which works without any problems on any modern PCs.

Anyway... anyone have any luck with Fraps?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Good, idea... if i get my fraps up and running (Fraps is a game recorder) I'll try it and put it on my utube account, it's JerecTheDarkJedi

Seems like a nice idea,but,we're working on an animation movie,on the same subject:GRIM FANDANGO.If you'd like to join us,do so,here...remember,its purely NON-COMMERCIAL

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=194124

Archived