Home

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows [Use spoiler tags]

Done. Finished in about 7 hours. But I really enjoyed the book, was much better than the last one. I didn't really care how she ended it, I preferred that she not end it in the way she did, but it was at least decently written, although cheesy, but I can forgive her for that.

I still can't believe that Voldemort is Harry's father!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:vadar::vadar::vadar::vadar::vadar::vadar::vadar:

(Jk lol, i just had to put that in)

Anyways, all humor aside, I really enjoyed the book. It was well written and kept me on the edge of my seat for at least 10 hours. The insane amounts of deaths definitely left me with a empty feeling and the "Prince's Tale" chapter was definitely depressing.

Overall though, I felt it was a great way for JKR to finish off the series.

:)

PS

JKR said that one character got a reprieve and that another one died in his/her place. Does anyone know which character got saved?

Finished the book yesterday, and I personally loved it and felt it wrapped up the story nicely. It will never be a satisfactory ending, but oh well.

I honestly did not think she had to kill Fred off at all, but I sorta saw everybody else dying. Damn I cried a lot reading it, but well worth it in the end and probably one of the more satisfactory endings to a book series.

And if you do not like the series at all... please leave and don't post how much you dislike it. It just leaves a bad mark on the thread and I think makes you look like a troll.

The whole hype about it is way overrated it's sickening...There's much better writers out there who get nothing at all for their efforts, and here's Rowling drumming up a whole bunch of nonsense and gets paid zillions for it...

I totally agree with Herbiez on this one.

I'm a little bit shocked that someone could be that serious over a book.

an ip banning? Isn't that a tad over-kill?

But pertaining to the book, I think the dark and murky setting was just too quick of a change from the fun times at Hogwarts.

Just finished it.

Was it friggen' necessary for Fred to die? The last fight between Voldemort and Harry was disgusting, but the dialog before was amusing and an interesting read. I've got to admit, I knew the doe was Snape's all along, I just had it all figured out. There were some parts of the book that got to me, especially when Kingsley's patronus was sent to the wedding, "The ministry has fallen. _____ (sorry, forgot his name) is dead. They are coming." that just gave me chills, and forced me to put it down and go to bed.

Also the death of Snape nearly made me teary, that made me change my whole view of Voldemort (I used to think of him as a bad-azz villain, but there was a certain character that a villain has to keep in order for me to like them. When he killed Snape, he became a pale bastard to me).

The epilogue wasn't that great, it was very predictable.

Though, the name choice for Harry's children was awful, it just didn't fit.

I could understand middlenames being named after loved ones, but dang, why not something like "Remee"? I don't know, ruined that part for me.

Yeah.

I just finished it an hour ago. Over all, I thought it was good way to end the series,

though rather... straight forward. I kept waiting for a big plot twist that never came. All the "good guys" remained good and all the "bad guys" remained bad...

Snape's part was fleshed out much more, but I knew he was acting on Dumbledore's orders. The "why" of it was explained, though. I wondered why Dumbledore trusted Snape. I personally didn't catch how much he loved Lily Potter until now, but the clues where there.

I thought the epilogue was ok... It was fitting, but it would have been nice to know what the "Big Three" did with their lives. I always figured Hermione would become a teacher, but she didn't. It would have been nice to know what she did do. Ron as well, but particularly Harry. What do you do with your life after saving the world at seventeen? heh

I figured there would be a lot of deaths in this one, but I was surprised how quickly they came. I think that was a brilliant way to start the book because of Rowling saying that a major character will die. I constantly expected Ron or Hermione to die. It really added to the tension.

bah... so many thoughts, so hard to remember them all long enough to type them out without thinking of something else... I'll stop for now...

EDIT: heh, interesting. I did a search to see what I said in the thread for the last book. Found here.

I was thinking the same thing, but the Horocruxs have to be destroyed before Voldemorte. Harry can't kill himself, then kill Voldemort. Unless, he uses a curse powerful enough to kill them both at the same time. With the way the books are going, I could see Harry having to sacrifice himself to kill Voldermort.

Well, I pretty much called that one. Harry did try to sacrifice himself. It didn't play out exactly how I thought, but I wasn't that far off...

This is only my opinion, but I'm not convinced Snape is not still a double agent. Dumbledore would not plead for his life. I think he told Snape that at some point, he(Snape) would have to kill him. Again, this is only speculation, but I think Snape will have a definite role in the death of Voldemort.

GOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL!!! Yep, I called that one. OK. So a lot of other people did too, but I'm still proud of myself... or maybe it was just that obvious. Still, I read a lot of post by people (here and elsewhere) that Snape was really with Voldemort.

I will personally IP ban anyone who does not use spoiler tags, and spoils the book for me.

~Phreak

lolz.... what a tosser drama queen....but I forgot, This whole place revolves around you doesnt it Phreak :D

I think those that really DONT want to be spoilt should avoid any threads with tags.. You never know what might slip...

I DONT KNOW WHO

DIES !

ITS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE

DIES!

THEN AGAIN, IT MIGHT BE THAT NO ONE

DIES!

ALAS, TIS THE NATURE OF MORTALITY, THAT WHICH LIVES INEVITABLY

DIES !

*runs off throwing rotten apples at Rowling fans...*

Drizzt, Entreri, Salvatore and co....pwnz j00 4LL

mtfbwya

Darn, and I was totally counting on cashing in those cool points and getting myself a nice, fat hamburger.

I dunno why everyone is up in arms about Fred's "meaningless" death. I mean, a Weasley had to die, there's 20 million of them. Deaths don't have to be meaningful or advance the plot, she's attempting to show casualties. It would be even less believable to have the entire Weezy family get off scot free.

You want to be mad at deaths? Be mad at Remus and Tonks' death. That was just ****ing ridiculous. This entire saga is about how much it sucks to be orphaned, and she just orphaned a kid at the end. It's like Rowling thinks you have to be an orphan to be a successful wizard. Harry, Dumbledore, Riddle, all orphans. Hell, even Longbottom comes into some strength at the end.

lol, a lot of people have lost some cool points IMO with this thread, and they've all been taken over by Astro, congratulations!

lolz... just in case anyone is frightened by my post above it actually contains NO spoilers :D Repeat: NONE.

NegSun... if Ive lost some cool points...big deal ....theres *plenty* where they came from :twogun:

bollocks to your ability to subtract cool points :blast5:

:D

mtfbwya

lolz... just in case anyone is frightened by my post above it actually contains NO spoilers :D Repeat: NONE.

NegSun... if Ive lost some cool points...big deal ....theres *plenty* where they came from :twogun:

bollocks to your ability to subtract cool points :blast5:

:D

mtfbwya

Lolz...read my post again CAREFULLY!!!! You're the only one actually gaining cool points.

I just finished reading the book, and I was surprised at some points, while I expected others to happen.

Some thing I guessed about the book, and I was right about:

-Petunia could have been if witch, but she chose not to

-Harry would be a Horcrux

-He would speak with Dumbledore at least once

-R.A.B. was Regulus Black

-Snape was in love with Harry's mom

Some things I didn't expect:

-Ron and Hermione were still alive at the end

-So was Harry

-Voldemort would get hit by his own attack... again

-Dobby died

-Mrs. Weasley kicked the living **** outta Bellatrix Lestrange

I got my copy on the 21st and I have casually read it so far but from what I can tell it seems like the rest of it will be pretty good the only thing I haven't liked so far is...

They are making Harry seem like a secondary character in the book.

Maybe it's me but I just thought that is kind of disappointing.

Anyway to those of you who haven't read the whole thing yet, including myself, I wish you happy reading.;)

Finally had the chance to read it. Spent about 9 hours from beginning to end, and it was awesome. I'm really excited to see Movie 7. Gonna have all sorts of wizard action in it.

[serious Spoilers]

I thought the last chapter was a bit overkill, but it was alright in that corny, sentimental sort of way.

I was kinda disappointed Luna wasn't mentioned in the epilogue, she's grown on me since Book 6.

And the part where McGonagall brought all the suits of armor and stuff to life was awesome.

And two words: Professor Longbottom.

I finished it last night and while it was not my favorite Harry Potter book, it was a fitting ending to the series. I could have done without the epilogue in that it almost put me in a diabetic coma.

What I liked

1. The insight into the reason why Dumbledore actually trusted Severus Snape.

2. The revelation of the true reason Snape actually killed Dumbledore.

3. Snape’s last living act was to help the Harry.

4. I like that we finally got some of the history, both good and bad, of Dumbledore.

5. Percy finally seeing the errors of his ways.

6. I really like the way Rowling implied that the way you treat people can inspire loyalty or cause the loss of it. Harry even got Kreacher on his side, while Voldemort lost Narcissa loyalty. Fear is not enough to inspire someone to do your bidding.

What I didn’t like

1. THE EPILOGUE! I’m all for them, but nineteen years was a little much. Nineteen years means these are no longer the characters we know and love. I’d rather the epilogue took place at an earlier event such as a child’s birth or a wedding.

2. Fred’s death, I’d much rather it had been George. Never liked George. :)

3. Some of the booked drag with little information being passed to the reader. I felt some of the clutter could have been weeded out and produce a better story.

4. Really hated both Lupin and Tonks being killed with a new born. Doesn’t this story have enough orphans already; Harry, Tom Riddle…

It was a good story and a good series

I finished it at 2:00AM this morning. I took me a couple of days to finish it because of work and I am a fairly slow reader. I enjoyed every bit, almost every bit, of the book. Though, I thought the epilogue was unnecessary.

I don't really have a problem with Fred dying. I expect there to be a few deaths that came up rather unexpected.

I think the movie of this book can be incredible, as long as it's well done and doesn't skip through most of the story and jumble it up.

I'll probably re-read the book again, now. :p

I hadn't even started the series till last Sunday, and I just finished Deathly Hallows a few minutes ago with very few complaints...aside perhaps from poor pacing (a flaw that I think somewhat mars Goblet Of Fire and Order Of The Phoenix as well)

...although Fred's death was kind of uncalled for...Percy should have bit it =D

Glad I didn't start the series till Deathly Hallows was about to come out...if I had to wait more than a day after I finished Half-Blood Prince to get the last installment in the series, I think I would have gone postal.

Yesterday, I finished the final book and I thought it was good, despite some boring chapters.

I liked the Epilogue, but I agree that Fred's death was the most uneeded in the book.

I now rate the books (1 being the best and 7 being the worst):

1. Prisoner of Azkaban

2. Deathly Hallows

3. Half Blood Prince

4. Chamber of Secrets

5. Philosopher's Stone

6. Order of the Phoenix

7. Goblet of Fire

Good series overall and my third favourite series (after Star Wars and Indiana Jones).

Archived