Home

What do you think......Revan: a girl or a boy

Lord Revan63

Is Revan supposed to be a MALE or a FEMALE?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Is Revan supposed to be a MALE or a FEMALE?

Revan's gender is suppose to reflect the gamer and the best possible story for the game . Most of the time it's easier for males to connect with a male character and females to a female character. I personally like playing Revan as Male an the Exile as female because of there stories being wonderful, and it connects very well. As a gamer you're suppose to have fun with whatever gender you chose for Revan;that's why they put character customization in. Canon genders are done out of "editorial necessity", as Leland Chee told me when I asked him on the starwars.com message boards last fall. Sure, male Revan is canon but you should play it that way because you feel it fits Revan better

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Revan is a being of pure power. Almighty will and awesomeness.

See my thread on what it would take to kill him/her. :p

I could care less about how tough Revan is, though. How many people s/he could kill in an afternoon isn't what makes him/her an interesting character.

and i am not meaning be racial or whatever agaisnt women,

The term is 'sexist'.

Revan should be male. Besides, Revan is generally a Male name.

If that were the case it would not have been used by the designers in the first place. (Heck, according to them they all pretended Revan was a woman when they wrote the references NPCs made to him/her out of fear it would sound too masculine otherwise.)

Males are normally naturallly superior to females in their physical power.

Invalid. Jedi are about as far from normal in "physical power" as anyone can get. When they can blast people into walls, shoot lighting from their fingers and deflect blaster-fire not even paying full attention, that will more than render any inherent weaknesses/strengths they've gotten from having a hot dog or a taco moot.

Revan speaking in girl voice in a game just doesn't seem right. Imagine an all powerful sith lord speaking in female voice exacting his revenge upon the jedi or something, when it should be a bold, powerful, booming, echoing, male voice.

Makes you wonder how Mon Mothma or Leia ever stayed in power, doesn't it? :p

You've clearly never heard any inspirational speeches from a woman. I can assure you how high or low someone's voice is counts for nothing when they know what they're talking about and saying it with the right attitude.

It's just that revan is mean tto be a climatic character representing raw power and control, and a female just doesn't.... fully represent that.

Women are weaker than men, in other words.

I hav emenant no offense to any women saying this, as i have nothing agaisnt the other gender.

Provided they don't interfere with your ideas that everyone should think Revan is a guy, right? :p

@ Arcesious

Try Emma Goldman, dude... she was called "The most dangerous individual in America"... :D

Mainly because she could spur a protest of a few workers into a riot with thousands of people burning down establishments...

Now THAT is influence...

Male. Duh!

Revan is a being of pure power. Almighty will and awesomeness. A female Revan just isn't right. No offense to any people who like a female revan, and i am not meaning be racial or whatever agaisnt women, but honestly, hearign revan's voice as female when you have a being of such raw power just doesn't seem right. .

You obviously have not met my Taekwondo instructor. She's 5'3" and is a 4th degree black belt. When she steps in the ring she doesn't just ooze or emanate power. She blows you away with power. I easily weigh twice as much as she does, but she's kicked me so hard I think my grandchildren will be able to feel it.

I'm lucky if I can get one kick in on her, and I have my first degree black belt.

Play what you like. The canon thing only exists for purposes of EU literature.

Y'see, and I write Revan as female part because the game had a lot of female-only content. There was one conversation a female Revan could not get with Bastila. But male Revans missed out on 2/3 of Carth's dialogue tree (the largest in the game at 800K), and while you COULD trigger a bug and get some of Juhani's options, the script was designed female-only. There was also that third, female-only ending that isn't that hard to trigger if you know to look for it.

The other bit was the Leviathan - torturing Bastila made little sense. Malak wanted Bastila unharmed to torture himself. If Saul had left any damage on Bastila, he'd be skewered on Malak's lightsaber. However, that non-Jedi ex-lieutenant that's throwing a decision he regrets in his face? Yup. Asking to get fried.

I also kinda liked the additional half-twist it added to the revelation as well. You hear all about Revan, and are expecting this big bruiser of a man. Well...hah! It's this Leia-sized woman, closer to Joan of Arc than Ghengis Kahn.

I also disagree with female Exile, BTW. Obsidian's own trailer and promo art was explicit in calling Exile a man, and the Brianna arc was given far more attention and detail while Mical was a last-minute throw-in, and shows. He cleans house in the fanfic, but isn't much to write home on in-game. Again, I think the ONLY reasons for a "canon" female Exile was because of the protest on Revan's "canon," because LA really didn't care about that game in the first place. (If they had, they wouldn't have released it as a bugged-up, half-a$$ed rush job). That, and in SW tradition, females play important SECONDARY roles, but are not the focus of attention.

Male. Duh!

Revan is a being of pure power. Almighty will and awesomeness. A female Revan just isn't right. No offense to any people who like a female revan, and i am not meaning be racial or whatever agaisnt women, but honestly, hearign revan's voice as female when you have a being of such raw power just doesn't seem right. Revan should be male. Besides, Revan is generally a Male name.

Males are normally naturallly superior to females in their physical power. They are not superior completely or whatever, both genders shoudl be considered equal, but that is fact.

Revan speaking in girl voice in a game just doesn't seem right. Imagine an all powerful sith lord speaking in female voice exacting his revenge upon the jedi or something, when it should be a bold, powerful, booming, echoing, male voice. I really don't care about the exile's gender though. It's just that revan is mean tto be a climatic character representing raw power and control, and a female just doesn't.... fully represent that.

I hav emenant no offense to any women saying this, as i have nothing agaisnt the other gender.

Dude, while I share your preference bias for Revan, you should keep a few things in mind. A jedi's/sith's power is based more on MENTAL abilities (telekinesis, telepathy, etc..) than mere physical traits. Also, not all women have high pitched voices (Mae West, Marlena Dietrich, Linda Hunt, etc..).

Funny how someone who insists on relying on so called 'fact' and canon would choose for Revan to be a woman, as canon, as far as we know, states that Revan is male. :roleyess:
Funny how you failed to notice the key sentence "in my book" Reading is one thing, being able to comprehend it is another.

In my book means my fanboyism, and when it comes to debates, i refer to revan as a he for the sake of canon. It occurs to me you have not been reading my past posts especially in the Sidious vs revan thread where i referred to revan as a he many times :roleyess:

So before you label me a hypocrite, read my posts, especially the past ones

As I've said several times before, I believe Revan to be male. Why?

- It is canon. I usually play by canon, not because I'm forced to, it is because I usually prefer canon.

- Revan sounds like a male name. I mean, how many female Star Wars characters do you think have the name Revan?

- I'm male. I'm not sexist, but back in 2003, I appreciated playing male characters, but I became more open to playing females when I first played a female Exile (who is handled much better than a female Revan and a male Exile).

@ Arcesious: Sith can be female too. I mean look at Kreia. She is a woman and I find her to be one of the best Sith Lords, or Lady around. Although I admit I wouldn't want a female Revan Sith Lord.

Well canonically Revan is 'supposed' to be male and a lightsider, but the good thing about the kotor games is that that canonicity surrounding Revan can be thrown out the window! :D

I always prefer playing female DS Revan anyway, pretty much the complete opposite of LA's view of Revan.

@ Arcesious: Sith can be female too. I mean look at Kreia. She is a woman and I find her to be one of the best Sith Lords, or Lady around. Although I admit I wouldn't want a female Revan Sith Lord.
A good example of a Lady Sith, out of context of Kotor however a much better example would probably be Tavion Axmis or Darth Talon.

It occurs to me you have not been reading my past posts especially in the Sidious vs revan thread

Oh, but I have. Been deleting/editing most of them too, since your bedside manner leaves something to be desired. :rolleyes:

I was merely commenting on the fact that it is curious that someone who takes such pride in being backed up by canon and 'fact' would prefer a non-canonical take on something.

As for me, I've played Revan as both a male and a female, and while each is fun in their own right, I like playing Revan as a woman, just so I can string Carth and his emotions along. :3

Oh, but I have. Been deleting/editing most of them too, since your bedside manner leaves something to be desired. :rolleyes:

Lol your right, you did delete part and some of my posts, which is precisely why you failed to realise i referred to revan as a he. Good one :rolleyess: Now i feel accused :(

I was merely commenting on the fact that it is curious that someone who takes such pride in being backed up by canon and 'fact' would prefer a non-canonical take on something.

Never heard of the term "our own universe" then huh?

And IF i preferred a non-canonical take on something which in this case is revan, i would have referred to revan as a she all this while which i didnt, instead i brought the term "In my book"

- It is canon. I usually play by canon, not because I'm forced to, it is because I usually prefer canon.

It's canon if you're an author writing a Lucas-approved story in the Star Wars EU universe. Not if you are playing a game that allows you to choose whatever you want.

- Revan sounds like a male name. I mean, how many female Star Wars characters do you think have the name Revan?

A quick google search seems to reveal a roughly equal number of people of either gender who allegedly have have Revan as their name. Bioware would not have picked a name with a strong gender identity for a character that was very intentionally meant to be just as valid either way.

- I'm male. I'm not sexist, but back in 2003

In my opinion it shouldn't matter what you are since you aren't playing as yourself in a game. You aren't a Jedi, and you aren't living a long time ago in a galaxy far away, you aren't a man/woman in his/her early thirties, so why should gender matter if those other things do not? :)

Well canonically Revan is 'supposed' to be male and a lightsider

Revan isn't 'supposed' to be anything. If you are a Lucas-sanctioned author writing Star Wars comics/novels then Revan is male. If you play the KOTOR games Revan is not supposed to be anything other than the same race/gender you pick for your protagonist. :)

A good example of a Lady Sith, out of context of Kotor however a much better example would probably be Tavion Axmis or Darth Talon.

Tavion wasn't a Sith, she was just a brat who was trained as a Dark Jedi by Desann (who wasn't a Sith either, just a former Jedi apprentice who fell to the Dark Side).

Edit:

...hence if you read my post properly you'd see ...

I read what you wrote properly, though perhaps not what you meant, which is awfully hard to know if you don't spell it out. :p

Revan isn't 'supposed' to be anything. If you are a Lucas-sanctioned author writing Star Wars comics/novels then Revan is male. If you play the KOTOR games Revan is not supposed to be anything other than the same race/gender you pick for your protagonist. :)
Exactly my point Stoffe, hence if you read my post properly you'd see the abbreviation (') marks that i put on the word 'supposed'. Hence i was being sarcastic and referring to that Revan's canonicity is 'officially' male (as deemed by LA) but in the Kotor games this doesn't matter whatsoever, so you pretty much just repeated what i had previously stated.
Tavion wasn't a Sith, she was just a brat who was trained as a Dark Jedi by Desann (who wasn't a Sith either, just a former Jedi apprentice who fell to the Dark Side).
I know, i just thought she was a pretty cool (yet vague) character in the Jedi Knight series.

Revan is supposed to be whatever you choice him or her to be. It is the player’s choice to design their character gender, race and alignment as that is the entire point of an RPG game. My Revan has been all of the above, but normally is a female lightsider as I hate to stare at a computer generated male butt for the entire play through.

With that in mind I voted neither.

I always prefer playing female DS Revan anyway, pretty much the complete opposite of LA's view of Revan.A good example of a Lady Sith, out of context of Kotor however a much better example would probably be Tavion Axmis or Darth Talon.

I'm not familiar with Darth Talon, but I wouldn't say Tavion is a good Sith Lady. Tavion is a Dark Jedi and she is a pretty pathetic excuse for a Dark Jedi/Sith Lady, whatever you want to call her.

Again, if I had a damn dime for every time I hear "Revan is a dude, Lucasarts said so."

And had to pay back a quarter every time someone says "Exile's a chick, Lucasarts said so"

I'd still be making decent money. I also find it's the fanboy howling loudest over the first that will utterly disregard the second.

Now, I play Revan as female, and Exile as male. To make me a bigger heretic, I play Exile as a Dark Sider on top of it. Why? Because of elements in the game itself. I'm not talking canon. I'm talking the actual "2da, rim, and dlg" files GAME.

The female Revan had one conversation with Bastila locked to her. A male Revan is technically unable to get several options in the Juhani dialogue, and over 2/3 of Carth's dialogue, the largest dlg file in the game (800K to Bastila's 600K) is locked.

The Leviathan torture sequence made more sense to me playing female. Malak wants the Jedi. Saul's going to end up dead if he does lasting harm to the Jedi Malak wants. Carth is of no use to Malak, but I can certainly imagine Karath wanting to punish an idealistic old friend for turning down a good offer.

Something minor, but aesthetic - the position of Bastila in the LS victory ending. She's standing far away from your character while your character is standing between Carth and Zaalbar. Granted, I think they did it so there wouldn't be a hole in the lineup if things went to hell on the Star Forge.

And pure opinion? Well, I appreciated the balance it gave to the cast (4 women, 4 men, 2 droids), and thought it gave a nifty little half-twist to the revelation. You EXPECT Revan to be this big bruiser of a guy, not this small woman! (Even if that leads to another SW convention, that of the petite gal kicking serious butt.)

As for why I play Exile male?

It gives more of a reason for Atris to be bitter. It's strongly implied that he didn't just choose the War over the Jedi - he chose the War over her. That adds a nifty bit of backstory for both characters.

Mical cleans house in the fanfic, but IN-GAME, he's nothing much. You can get him to full influence and Jedi him out in one conversation. After that, he really has no more to say or offer. Brianna has the closest you get to a full arc, going from the weakest of her sisters to the one who bests them all. You can't get her to full influence in one sitting, and I like that. You have to work on the Handmaiden, unraveling her loyalty to Atris and tempting her with her lost heritage a bit at a time.

You get Kreia's creepiest lines ever - comparing the "virtues" of Brianna and Visas and her perpetual warnings not to "mate" with either.

Obsidian's own trailer identified Exile as a "he" and stuck with it, so that influenced me. There was also enough "fan service" for the boys in-game (most notably the "wasp waist and huge knockers" female models, Brianna fighting in her underwear and dancing for the Hutt) to let me know that they probably considered female gamers to be an afterthought. (Sad, but typical)

*BOOM*.......Revan can and always will be w/e u want it to be..yes im arguing my comments but i think the revan would be a male and then on other terms a female......lucasarts made it very hard to really figure it out, so well wait how did the revan gender go to tavion.???

Archived