Home

What do you think......Revan: a girl or a boy

Lord Revan63

Is Revan supposed to be a MALE or a FEMALE?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Is Revan supposed to be a MALE or a FEMALE?

Wow. Sexist much?

If you want to argue why it's better off playing Revan as a guy, then I know there are more interesting reasons than that.

I knew people were going to say that. Why do you people have to take everything so personal? Anyway, I'm male. Plus almost every single significant general in history has been male, I might add that you would almost think that that might be because men and women have different qualities (not that this would make either sex "better", to satisfy your PCness). I just like being male more than female, sue me.

If it weren't inappropriate for this thread I'd rip your sexist argument apart.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All right everyone, time to put a damper on the sexism right now before it gets out of control. We're talking about the Star Wars universe here, where they happily are more knowledgeable and appreciative of the different species, colors, genders and so on than we are on 21st century Earth. If you want to discuss sexism as a social issue do it in Kavar's Corner. Sexism doesn't belong in this thread or anywhere else on LF.

lucasarts made it very hard to really figure it out
No, Lucasarts and Bioware left the choice up to you, there is no right or wrong answer. Your personal Raven is what you make him/her. There is nothing to figure out. Arguing about Raven being male or female is like arguing what kind of doughnut is better. It is pointless because they are all good.;)

Revan isn't 'supposed' to be anything. If you are a Lucas-sanctioned author writing Star Wars comics/novels then Revan is male. If you play the KOTOR games Revan is not supposed to be anything other than the same race/gender you pick for your protagonist. :)

Revan existed long before KOTOR, Bioware didn't have much choice there. And he/she's right imo, Revan just isn't a very feminine name.

Yes!! Cause being canon also means that I will be immune to stupid deaths also. Not to mention good things like getting the chix0r, good loots, etc...

Not necessarily. Canon might decide that your death should be the result of stupidity. :xp: But, if it doesn't......what the hell, go for it. :thumbsup:

if 'canon' told you to jump off a bridge, would you? :xp: [/nag] (couldn't resist.. hehehe)

You mean you haven't received any cease and desist order from LucasArts lawyers, threatening you with legal action if you play as a female/non-white/darksided Revan in contradiction with "canon"? iconlookvp3.gif

Revan existed long before KOTOR, Bioware didn't have much choice there. And he/she's right imo, Revan just isn't a very feminine name.

Uh, not really. Revan and Malak were characters created for KOTOR by Bioware, so they had the choice to do whatever they wanted with them. :)

From the horse's mouth, so to speak...

As for if the name is female sounding or not, that's your opinion, I'm sure the women who are named that disagree with you. :) Sounds suitably ambiguous to me though.

You mean you haven't received any cease and desist order from LucasArts lawyers, threatening you with legal action if you play as a female/non-white/darksided Revan in contradiction with "canon"? iconlookvp3.gif

So I'm not the only person that's happened to?

And who says Revan was white? Maybe Revan was Chiss! It coulda happened...

As for Revan, I can see him/her as both genders. And no, I do NOT mean that in a transvestite sort of way...*vaguely remembers the Rocky Horror Picture Show*... Ahem... Anyway, I really only say male in the end since part of me wonders if Revan was female, would Malak have developed feelings for her? Then I shudder at the thought and immediately go for male. Although, that would have been an interesting subplot in KotOR... slightly weird, but interesting.

P.S. I just noticed one of the poll choices was "Neither"... Now, I can understand "Both"... *remembers Rocky Horror again...* STOP IT SYKO! *cough*... but NEITHER? How in the name of Vader's Virgin Mother does that make sense?

Uh, not really. Revan and Malak were characters created for KOTOR by Bioware, so they had the choice to do whatever they wanted with them. :)

From the horse's mouth, so to speak...

As for if the name is female sounding or not, that's your opinion, I'm sure the women who are named that disagree with you. :) Sounds suitably ambiguous to me though.

What about all the appearances in comics etc before KOTOR?

Fine, can you name 5 woman whose name is Revan? (and prove their existence?)

Well, I can name a couple RAVENS. It's a fairly common name in Pagan circles. Unisex, but mostly used for girls. There was also a lovely character in comic books by that name who had her...um...LS and DS moments. (Being half-demon has some nasty drawbacks).

The comics were written AFTER the game. WELL after.

Funny you should mention RHPS, also. It's at the theater near my home every month, and I'll attend about 4 times a year. Of course THAT just led to a mental image of Carth and Bastila as Brad and Janet, with a Revan that cheerfully seduces both...

OK. I'll end that mental bus trip before it goes any further...maybe...

Funny you should mention RHPS, also. It's at the theater near my home every month, and I'll attend about 4 times a year. Of course THAT just led to a mental image of Carth and Bastila as Brad and Janet, with a Revan that cheerfully seduces both...

OK. I'll end that mental bus trip before it goes any further...maybe...

Ahh, a fellow Rocky fan :) THIS BUS AIN'T STOPPIN'!

Sorry, but I have to do this...

I'M JUST A SWEET TRANSVESTITE! FROM TRANSSEXUAL TRANSYLVANIA!

I just had to recite the Sweet Transvestite song, I just HAD to.

But wait... If Carth is Brad, and Bastila is Janet, and I'm assuming Revan is Frank-n-Furter (complete with 6-inch high heels)... then who is Rocky? Please don't say Jolee... *passes out from brain damage*

*Canderous then pops out singing "Hot Patootie"*

P.S. I am sorry to all of you who had absolutely no godly idea what I just said :xp:

Nahh...Jolee and Juhani get to be Riff and Magenta. :)

Rocky? Ohhh...maybe HK-47 or Malak. :lol:

In that case, Mission gets to be Columbia :lol:

However, I don't know if HK can be Rocky, since he's a droid, but then again... the thought of Malak being Rocky... O.O

Nah, Zaalbar should be the criminologist, as Zaalbar has no neck, and every time I see Crim, he has no neck, not even in the movie. In fact, whether it be the live show or the movie, I always make sure to scream out to the criminologist "WHERE IS YOUR NECK?!" One time, I even brought a megaphone just for that :xp:

When Rocky Virgins see these last few posts, they are sure to ask, "What in God's name is this?" :lol:

What about all the appearances in comics etc before KOTOR?

Everything in the SW EU is not written in chronological order. :) The comics are created after KOTOR (the game) was created, even if the events described in them take place before KOTOR (the story in the game) happened.

Are you claiming that Bioware's designers are lying when they claim they created the character? If so, get real.

Fine, can you name 5 woman whose name is Revan? (and prove their existence?)

I probably could, but I have no interest in jumping through your hoops. Look it up yourself if you are curious, I don't need to prove anything to you. Bioware's designers have stated repeatedly that they've always intended the character to be gender ambiguous and they've been making extra efforts to keep it that way while writing the story, so it would make absolutely no sense at all for them to give it a clearly male-sounding name.

Another thing with names of characters is Jaden Korr from Jedi Academy. Like Revan, Jaden doesn't really sound much like a female name (although it sounds more female than Revan). I would've preferred playing a female on Jedi Academy, if she was called Jania or something else.

I myself have played a female Revan three times (once light side and twice dark side), but I didn't like it afterwards. That is why I prefer a male Revan, just because I think it was written better.

But if I do play KOTOR again, I will play a female Revan, just so I can try to Juhani and Carth relationships.

Everything in the SW EU is not written in chronological order. :) The comics are created after KOTOR (the game) was created, even if the events described in them take place before KOTOR (the story in the game) happened.

Are you claiming that Bioware's designers are lying when they claim they created the character? If so, get real.

You are right, but the earlier KOTOR comics mentioning several KOTOR characters were released much earlier, so I assumed that they contained references to Revan as well.

I probably could, but I have no interest in jumping through your hoops. Look it up yourself if you are curious, I don't need to prove anything to you. Bioware's designers have stated repeatedly that they've always intended the character to be gender ambiguous and they've been making extra efforts to keep it that way while writing the story, so it would make absolutely no sense at all for them to give it a clearly male-sounding name.

An argument usually made by people that cannot back up their statements.

Fine, can you name 5 woman whose name is Revan? (and prove their existence?)Actually the name Raven actually sounds more like something you’d name a pet rather than a male or female name.[/Quote]

Like Stoffe posted in post number 43

A quick google search seems to reveal a roughly equal number of people of either gender who allegedly have have Revan as their name. Bioware would not have picked a name with a strong gender identity for a character that was very intentionally meant to be just as valid either way.

Your right your Revan is male, but everyone else is also right and their Revan is whatever they want him or her to be.

If LucasArts and Bioware wanted Revan to be only male why did they give us the female option within the game?

Archived